Thread: Rear sub frame

Rear sub frame

I am 30% into a rear subframe replacement. So far I am up to 46 spot welds drilled, 3 Sawall blades and 10 hours worth of work. I thought of back halfing my car but in the end it isn't cost effective for what I intend to do with this Mustang. The hardest part of this was leveling out the car and taking notes on measurements. I found a drawing by FoMoCo with all the alignment points including the datum and tram lines. that print helped me out alot. But I found that my car is about 1/16 of a inch off in some points. remarked the "drawing" as correction and drove on with the project. Life would be so much easier if I owned frame jig, instead of 6 jackstands.

Things that i found out.

1) Aftermaket sheetmetal sucks.
    2) And I need to buy a few more locking pliers.
    3) PB blaster is a horrible penetrating fluid but a awesome cutting fluid.
    4) Spot welds dull out a bit in no time. Irwin makes great drill bits.( I bought the turbo bits).
    5) A air hammer is your friend and your enemy all at the same time.
    6) A body dolly and hammer is a must, after the air hammer has done its damage.

The rot was bad on the driverside framerail. Rotted in 6 places with 3 of them infront of the leaf spring shackle mount and 3 behind the rail. This was long time coming and need to be done. One good launch and the rail would have been though the trunk pan.

Pictures later.

wow I forget the pictures.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/IMG_0931.jpg
    http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/IMG_0934.jpg

Both sides are done now and welded in. Just need to replace the outer wheel wells and hang new quarters.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ugh...hate rust.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

why are you replacing that? lol where are some updated pics =)

I have to unbury it. After I fixed the trunk it magically became a storage place. When it warms up I will take more pictures. Till then it holds all my parts.

The aftermarket panels sucked. None of them fit great. But it wont be a show car but a driver with a few runs down the track.

Some day it will get dropped off at Ron's for a lesson in structural reenforcement. Just have bigger problems at the moment that require my full attention.

here are the updated pictures.