Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

My annual OTE check up!

I left off 2008 with another shitty year at the track with my car. The car went 5.87 in the 1/8, but had lots of issues due to the EFI management system. The combo that was in the car at this time, was never meant to be pushed as far as I wanted. When I built the car in 2006 I wanted low 9's, and the ability to drive it on the street on a regular basis. The car did that with no problem, but wants and needs always seem to change in this "hobby".

On the way home from the last track outing last year, I decided it was time to man up to the next level. I wanted to stay with the same basic combo, but just improve upon it's short comings!

With the new go fast improvements taking top priority, fit and finish was still very important! I wanted to re-paint the engine bay, and both bumpers. For this I called upon my good friend Ian. I helped when I could, but 100% of the credit for the paint work goes to Ian. All the paint turned out very nice, and was worth the amount of time getting high off paint fumes in my garage! Some how over the years, Ian has become immune to the toxic odor of paint fumes.

After 6 months of working on this pos every night, it is almost done. The car is now at OTE for some of the final touches. I will post pics of the final product after it leaves OTE, but here are a few pics of when I dropped the car off tonight.

In the OTE shop!!!

Get a bunch of BOOST guys in one garage together, and things will get written in the dust!
    Last edited by BOSS LX; 06-30-2009 at 11:04 PM.

Lookin good Andy !

the back pic of your car looks fuckin NASTY

looks great Andy, can't wait to see it out and about.

looks good! and i can't wait to see it out either!
    2jz240sx
    Quote Originally Posted by BOSS LX View Post

Remember, "if it was easy, it wouldn't be cool!"
    wi240sx.OMGforum.net

Just some slow stock shit! scaleracer's Avatar
    Looks good can't wait to see it done and out on the street!
    01 Camaro SS - Daily
    90 Mustang Lx - Daily #2
    4-0 on the street for 2010!

Dam i love that car all i can say is some day

93 z28- sold
    91gt Stang -Chevy powered just for all you fORD Buzzards
    86 SS Monte Carlo
    95 z28

The engine bay looks amazing in person. Nice work on the car Andy!

The last pic is great! Lots of things get written in dust on our car's windows if they sit long enough, lol. I think we wrote a book on my car, right Tom?

The engine bay does look unreal how clean and well put together everything thing is.
    You sure can tell Ian has been painting his whole life and I don't mean because the paint looks good. Maybe he should wear a mask from now on.

What is the deal with the missing front bumper? Trying to figure out out where the air to air is going?

absolutely stunning how well you placed everything in that engine bay. And the blue is a personal fav
    "If you keep feeding a lion, then run out of food, you're the food.."

NICE!!
    Can't wait to see it rip
    "Never underestimate old guys"

Thanks guys!

Race Transmission Rebuilder twicks69's Avatar
    Andy, the car looks AWESOME in person!

Great overall layout with very clean install of the breather lines and fuel lines. I like the lines running through the fenders and the grommet work. It was a nice detail that cleans up the engine bay.

Are you able to run a different vacuum manifold? http://www.mcmaster.com/#vacuum-manifolds/=2kmk2a

It would also give the option of running AN-4 vacuum lines and get those rubber lines out of the engine bay.

Also, you might see noise interference with your spark plug wires running next to the fuel injectors so close. Is there a way to raise and slightly seperate the wires a bit? I know that it looks better this way for organization purposes, but you could also look into using http://www.techflex.com/prod_CNN.asp to prevent signal noise issues on the fuel injector harness wires, and it *may* fit over the spark plug boots if you get a slightly oversize version. Their products have a very nice expansion rate; nearly 1.75:1 of the product listed diameter. For example, the 3/4" loom has a range of 1/2" to 1 1/4" so it can be expanded, then pulled tight to collapse to 1/2". I usually use a bit of high-quality high-temp heat shrink on the ends then to hold it to the wires and to prevent the loom from fraying. I normally use the fire resistant stuff in my car -- the Halar, and the flame retardant versions (standard and F6). They work great, and clean up stuff pretty nicely.

It looks really damn good man! Good luck this year!
    Tim Zimmer
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    9.49@148mph, street trim.
    ----------------------------
    2005 Subaru Outback Limited
    -- Winter Beater --

Quote Originally Posted by twicks69 View Post
    Andy, the car looks AWESOME in person!

Great overall layout with very clean install of the breather lines and fuel lines. I like the lines running through the fenders and the grommet work. It was a nice detail that cleans up the engine bay.

Are you able to run a different vacuum manifold? http://www.mcmaster.com/#vacuum-manifolds/=2kmk2a

It would also give the option of running AN-4 vacuum lines and get those rubber lines out of the engine bay.

Also, you might see noise interference with your spark plug wires running next to the fuel injectors so close. Is there a way to raise and slightly seperate the wires a bit? I know that it looks better this way for organization purposes, but you could also look into using http://www.techflex.com/prod_CNN.asp to prevent signal noise issues on the fuel injector harness wires, and it *may* fit over the spark plug boots if you get a slightly oversize version. Their products have a very nice expansion rate; nearly 1.75:1 of the product listed diameter. For example, the 3/4" loom has a range of 1/2" to 1 1/4" so it can be expanded, then pulled tight to collapse to 1/2". I usually use a bit of high-quality high-temp heat shrink on the ends then to hold it to the wires and to prevent the loom from fraying. I normally use the fire resistant stuff in my car -- the Halar, and the flame retardant versions (standard and F6). They work great, and clean up stuff pretty nicely.

It looks really damn good man! Good luck this year!
    Thanks!

As far as the vacuum tree goes, I had planned to make my own but my map sensor and boost gauge needs a rubber vacuum line so I didn't see the need.

I wouldn't mind using that wrap on my plug wires. Where can you buy it? All of my management wires are already covered with the same type of material. Big stuff 3 also says there is no worry about interference with their coverings.

Race Transmission Rebuilder twicks69's Avatar
    Techflex sells the high-temp wrap for the plug wires, as well as the plug wire sleeves on their website. You can also get them at a cheaper price through Ebay. I usually buy bulk reels of Techflex stuff from Ebay or Amazon.com for ~10-20% of the list price.
    Tim Zimmer
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    9.49@148mph, street trim.
    ----------------------------
    2005 Subaru Outback Limited
    -- Winter Beater --

Everything looks great, Tom!

Looks great...but you all need to stop taking Mustangs there so he can finish my Challenger. I feel left out without being able to start a "Challenger project" thread!
    96 Viper GTS Underground Racing Twin 78mm Precision turbos, Proline 510 stroker-1483RWHP
    73 Challenger Bickel Chassis, Indy 572 HEMI-860HP
    67 Plymouth Fury Police Pursuit, Indy 505-600HP
    94 Stealth RT/TT built 6G72, 13G, FMIC
    75 Trailduster 440 Convertible
    92 Galant VR4 #848
    04 Neon SRT4 Mods!

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS LX View Post
    Everything looks great, Tom!
    All I want to know is, how an engine with no oil in it, can still somehow leave a puddle of oil on my floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Moparjim View Post
    Looks great...but you all need to stop taking Mustangs there so he can finish my Challenger. I feel left out without being able to start a "Challenger project" thread!
    I thought your car was finished a while ago? Can't wait to see that car out on the street.
    Owner of Sunset Self Storage LLC. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED STORAGE. 24/7 access. No Contract length. Self Storage/Portable Storage/Vehicle Transport
    Thanks, Brad 262.751.9439

09 Cadillac CTS V Has some stuff done...
    05 Chevy Duramax: Best time in 4wd was 12.22 @ 108
    99 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic: Big Bore, Cams, tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Fuel Tom View Post
    All I want to know is, how an engine with no oil in it, can still somehow leave a puddle of oil on my floor.
    Magic!