Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good 8.8 upgrades?

Right now I have an stock 8.8 with the exception of 3.73s. Took the car to the track and I'm burning the clutchpack so I figure now is a good time to beef it up. I think I want to go with a spool, what else is recommended?
    McCormick's Speed Shop built

1991 Mustang LX *parting out*
    2000 Civic

Irish
    If you are going to run a spool, I would recommend c-clip eliminators.

Quote Originally Posted by letsrunem View Post
    Right now I have an stock 8.8 with the exception of 3.73s. Took the car to the track and I'm burning the clutchpack so I figure now is a good time to beef it up. I think I want to go with a spool, what else is recommended?
    Just a good stock rebuilt track lock will go a LONG ways with extra clutches in it!

How fast is the car? I would worry about the axles before the track lock.
    Last edited by FourEyedFord; 06-26-2009 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FourEyedFord View Post
    Just a good stock rebuilt track lock will go a LONG ways with extra clutches in it!

How fast is the car? I would worry about the axles before the track lock.
    12.7 @ 81 lol I don't know what it's going to run, I couldn't make a full pass. How far have people taken them?

2000 Civic

Irish
    12.7 @ 81 lol I don't know what it's going to run, I couldn't make a full pass. How far have people taken them?
    9's. I think that is just the stock housing though.... welded axle tubes... 9" flanges.

I may be wrong but, I am pretty sure that some of the guys on this board got deep into the 10's on a mostly stock 8.8.

weve broken an axel on a 13 sec pass with a mid 12 sec trap speed. Rebuilt trac lock with extra clutches and good axels should do you well.
    70 cutlass 442- dads car
    95 stang- Stock long block 195,XXX miles
    03 XC600 - bone stock (still faster then smokin ram)
    03 Polaris predator- 4.250 bore (assembly required)
    84- 4 eyed

The cars got 5 lug conversion, so I'm not sure what axles were used, still have to pull it apart.

How much $ does a Trac lok run? The car doesn't see much street use hence the want for a spool.

2000 Civic

I have a spool in mine, no more worries about only spinning one wheel. I would skip the c clip eliminators and go with 9" housing ends, no worries about leaks (although I do have elims with no leaks, others do). If you run a spool you have to run either elims or 9" ends, you can't run c-clips. Since you will need different axles you may as well buy 33 spline stuff since I think its the same price.

The cars got 5 lug conversion, so I'm not sure what axles were used, still have to pull it apart.

How much $ does a Trac lok run? The car doesn't see much street use hence the want for a spool.
    was yours the white one? car sounded good. i would definately do axles when you do a spool in there.being a car that seems like it will see some track time,it wouldnt hurt to weld the axle tubes to the center as well.
    Check out our NEW online store!
    http://store.clocksoffracing.com/

Quote Originally Posted by badass88gt View Post
    I have a spool in mine, no more worries about only spinning one wheel. I would skip the c clip eliminators and go with 9" housing ends, no worries about leaks (although I do have elims with no leaks, others do). If you run a spool you have to run either elims or 9" ends, you can't run c-clips. Since you will need different axles you may as well buy 33 spline stuff since I think its the same price.
    What's a good source for these parts? Not too much rear end discussion goes on at mustangforums.

2000 Civic

Quote Originally Posted by juicedimpss View Post
    was yours the white one? car sounded good. i would definately do axles when you do a spool in there.being a car that seems like it will see some track time,it wouldnt hurt to weld the axle tubes to the center as well.
    No it's navy blue on pro stars. Weld the axle tubes eh?

2000 Civic

Stock 33 spline Explorer axles have gone low 9s in steel bodies Mustangs. All the door jamb code to ID the gears and factory limited slips are available on several internet sites. Narrowing the 8.8 is stupid easy too while you have it out, think I paid $300 to shorten two axles, shipped from Moser. No C-clip eliminators needed with disc brake Explorer rears, axles cant walk out.

I was just down at Eagle auto on 59 and saw about every gear ratio in stock 8.8's I could think of (less 4.56 that was used) in a number of Exploders.
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

Explorers didnt come with 33 spline.

What's a good source for these parts? Not too much rear end discussion goes on at mustangforums.
    I bought my stuff just from Jegs, but I know you can order direct from Strange also. There's really no reason to narrow the stock rear unless youre going crazy fast. Guys are going well into the single digits on a 10.5 tire which will fit a fox body on a 10" wheel.

You may want to check out Hardcore50.com for more in-depth discussion. Corral.net also has a big Drag Racing forum.

Get the Kevlar clutchpack from ford racing, I THINK you can use a newer cobra guts to switch it over to more spline countthen buy some axles and a aluminum preload cover.

Or just upgrade the posi and do some axles and a preload cover. I have seen hella lotta power thrown at a 8.8 non c clipped and lasted. If its slicked all the time run C clips.

If its no cage, n subframes yet and the torque boxes are not reeinforced dont spool it yet.
    If a hammer,crescent wrench,duct tape, or JB Weld can't fix it........Its gotta be a electrical problem

I would never run c clips on any performance application. Ive personally seen those tiny little c clips snap on an F150 on the on-ramp on the highway, allowing the axle to come out. If youve ever held a c clip in your hand you would agree.

What do chassis reinforcements have to do with running a limited slip or a spool?

Quote Originally Posted by badass88gt View Post
    What do chassis reinforcements have to do with running a limited slip or a spool?
    x2

2000 Civic

31 spline my bad, still more than most of us will ever need:
    http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Jerome View Post
    . No C-clip eliminators needed with disc brake Explorer rears, axles cant walk out.
    you HAVE to run a c-clip eliminator with a spool,there is no provision for them on the carrier.
    Check out our NEW online store!
    http://store.clocksoffracing.com/

Yup, or different housing ends welded to the axle tubes, like the 9" ends.