BCM Cruiser

Stupid/noob question on ATVs and plows

Stupid question on ATVs and plows, but I hope somebody can help.

What do I have to look for when buying an ATV (probably used) and a plow for
    snow? I know it's a basic question, but I was hoping somebody could point me
    to a FAQ or something. I did some research, but didn't really find anything.

Thanks,

Dave
    '14 550 M-Sport
    '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee

well. how much area will you be plowing. if you are doing the average driveway and a sidewalk, you won't need anything to crazy. if you are planning on using it on a country driveway that gets drifted and deep, then you want something bigger. i have a 60" moose plow on my arctic cat 500. pushes tons of snow! i have some bigger tires on it that help a lot though. regardless of what type of plowing you will be doing, get a plow that lifts and drops with a winch. do not mess with the hand lifts, they are junk.

i thought someone was selling an arctic cat with a plow?

BCM Cruiser
    It would be for a driveway that is fairly long, I guess you'd call it a country
    driveway. Maybe 100ft and it has a pretty good grade to it. It's tree lined, so
    I don't think it will get that drifted over (the house is being built so I'm not
    sure).

There were a couple of them for sale on here I think. They're nice, but I think
    was one of them was $4,500. Which is OK if that's whats needed, but I also
    see ATV's for $1500 and assume a plow won't be that much, right? I usually
    get in trouble for saying "how expensive can it be"?

I would assume 4x4 would be the way to go, but can a 2 wheel drive get by?
    Like a car, do tires make a big difference?
    '14 550 M-Sport
    '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee

for decent plow and winch setup you are looking at?!?!?

$275 plow
    $100 mount
    $300 winch
    $100 installing

don;t get a 2wd. gotta go 4.
    Last edited by 07ROUSHSTG3; 06-19-2009 at 03:16 PM.

we had issues with guys running the 60" plows, with the smaller 4x4s (400CC range) the 60" would just try to move to much snow, especiaslly with the real wet stuff. The 52"s were the best selling that we had. /\/\ thoes prices are not to far off, but for a good winch, expect to pay at least 300, maybe closer to 400. Also, I highly reccomend a synthetic winch cable as the steal ones can fray over time.
    70 cutlass 442- dads car
    95 stang- Stock long block 195,XXX miles
    03 XC600 - bone stock (still faster then smokin ram)
    03 Polaris predator- 4.250 bore (assembly required)
    84- 4 eyed

Quote Originally Posted by 70 cutlass 442 View Post
    we had issues with guys running the 60" plows, with the smaller 4x4s (400CC range) the 60" would just try to move to much snow, especiaslly with the real wet stuff. The 52"s were the best selling that we had. /\/\ thoes prices are not to far off, but for a good winch, expect to pay at least 300, maybe closer to 400. Also, I highly reccomend a synthetic winch cable as the steal ones can fray over time.
    yeah, good call, the cable will fray like a bitch. you should be able to get away with a cheaper winch if you are only going to use this for plowing though. the thing that i hate about my 60" inch is, it is just a touch too wide for the standard sidewalk, looking back i wish that i had gone with a 54" or whatever the other option was. my 500 manual shift does get a workout with that 60"er when the snow is wet.

/\/\ dont go anything under a 52" if you change blades, what we found (at least with polaris sportsmans') is the 52" is almost perfact if you set it for an angle pass... if you go smaller then the tires are actually then wider then the path that the blade is clearing, and will cause traction loss and then you will pack the snow down as you drive over it.... plus with an angled blade on a 52 its almost perfact for most city side walks!!
    70 cutlass 442- dads car
    95 stang- Stock long block 195,XXX miles
    03 XC600 - bone stock (still faster then smokin ram)
    03 Polaris predator- 4.250 bore (assembly required)
    84- 4 eyed