Most suitable trail quad?

What do you think? Raptor 700? YFZ450? TRXs? Looking for opinions mainly on 4 strokes. I know Tom has alot of experience with the Yamahas, how do they compare to the Hondas?
    Last edited by badass88gt; 06-14-2009 at 05:02 PM.

4 strokes

I'm kinda starting to like Jess's 450 YFZ.......on the trails there is really not much difference between the YFZ and Raptor 700 but, once you go to play mode there is.....

I have been told a Honda 450 R is a lot like the YFZ 450 and if so I'm sure they would be a good quad too....

One main thing I did notice was the YFZ ( and prolly 450 R Honda ) was more gracefull and fluid in the real tight technical areas and sand dunes than the Raptor is.

I think the YFZ is just a lighter ATV and has a better suited suspension for bumps and jumps and sliding through corners than the more bulky Raptor ?

The Raptor does have so much off idle low end torque and can gain so much wheel speed that in the sand you can really have some fun. I was playing in the sand up @ Bunkhouse on the state trails and the Raptor was a BLAST !

If you end up meeting up with us @ Bunkhouse I have NO PROBLEM with you trying out my Raptor or Jess's YFZ to see what one you prefer ?

In the end I guess it's really just a preference call on your part , Rappy 700 , YFZ or 450 R Honda are all very fun trail machines no doubt but, there are some differences that some guys might be partial to that make one more disirable to them....

I curious to see what Jess thinks on this since he rode both machines too ?
    Last edited by DynoTom; 06-14-2009 at 04:43 PM.

Greystone

Oh yea, I know Greystone rides a Honda 450 R and hangs out with some Raptor 700 guys up around the Bunkhouse trails area , he would have some good input on this I'm sure .....I think theres a good chance Greystone and his group will meet up with us sometime up there.....

Ive heard that for low end and midrange, the Raptor kills the 450s. The 450s like more RPMs, where you may not want that in the trails?

Drags

Quote Originally Posted by badass88gt View Post
    Ive heard that for low end and midrange, the Raptor kills the 450s. The 450s like more RPMs, where you may not want that in the trails?

I have to say since the YFZ we have has gotten " broken in " engine wise it's a MUCH closer race for my Big 5 modded Raptor.....In our drag races now it's sometimes so close it's hard to tell who won....Jess's YFZ 450 is 100 % stock ( not for long though ) and it's going to be pretty insane once the mods go on it I'll bet....

One thing though that Jess said about our drag races , he told me during our drags my Raptor was spittin out one hellava roost so we think with full traction hook on both the Raptor would take the YFZ fairly easy.....

Your heard right though the YFZ does love the throttle , it really shines on the top end of the RPM scale.....Raptor is OK top end but, shines off idle and very good mid range....Once you try them both out I think you will be able to see what I'm talking about better....

What do you think? Raptor 700? YFZ450? TRXs? Looking for opinions mainly on 4 strokes. I know Tom has alot of experience with the Yamahas, how do they compare to the Hondas?
    Banshee!

Not interested in 2 strokes anymore. Sick of mixing gas and getting 4mpg. We already have a Blaster and an LT250R that will be going up for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS LX View Post
    Banshee!
    i agree lol btw whats the top speed on a stock banshee?

Preference

Not interested in 2 strokes anymore. Sick of mixing gas and getting 4mpg. We already have a Blaster and an LT250R that will be going up for sale.

Yep, the 2 stroke and 4 stroke debate will always go on I suspect?

They both have guys who swear by them and will go no other way.....For me it's the 4 strokes....I had a pretty modded Banshee and to me it was just not worth the extra effort and money to run it .....

All very good machines but, those 4 strokes sure are easy to run and feed....

When you brought up mileage I was thinking ?

When Jess and I rode up at bunkhouse we only used about 4 gallons of fuel for both of our 4 stroke machines.....That was over 4 , almost 5 hours of some pretty hard WOT riding .

I KNOW my Banshee LOVED to drink fuel too and the fuel it used was VERY EX$$$$$PENSIVE to mix ( 50 % 110 , 50% 93 PUMP & YAMAHA 2 stroke ) worked out to around $ 6.00 a gallon and in only 2 hours of riding it would suck up 3 1/2 gallons !

So I agree the fuel costs of the 2 stroke were something that I didn't want to deal with either....

BCM Cruiser
    Personally I love the TRX450R. I like the riding position on it the best. I am a tall guy so the YFZ is really uncomfortable. Stock to stock Raptor>YFZ>450R speed wise. Although the 450R really likes to use all of the RPMs it can. I really like the new YFZ450R it is really nice. The Raptor is a great machine right out of the box but heavy and tall.

Put it this way I own a Yamaha and a Honda but I like my 450r alot better than the YFZ. I have put alot of money to get mine how I like it but that is just me. And 93 all day. The Raptor can lug gears like none other too. It is a beast and not going to lie I would buy one they ride like a cloud.
    2006 Silverado
    04 R6