8.8 crush collar

Any one got any tips on how to crush one with the car on jackstands? In the process of rebuilding the rear end in my mustang. I'm having mucho difficulty getting the collar to colapse. I have a large breaker bar, I just can't get any leverage. Wondering if any one has any advive to offer. THanks,

Stew

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    It takes quite a bit of torque to start it to crush. I usually start them with an impact.
    1968 Mustang GT Coupe, 302 J-code, 3-speed, 9" 3.25 open diff., 1 of 1.
    1979 Mustang Pace Car 5.0 Auto 38K miles.
    1983 Mustang 5.0 5sp. GT T-top hatch.
    1986 Mustang 5.0 5sp. LX Conv.
    1986 Mustang 5.0 5sp. GT Conv.
    1989 Saleen #519 5.0 5sp. 1 of 3 FOR SALE

Have someone hold the brakes on? I've worked on 8.8's before, even narrowed my own and dont remember it requiring any special effort to preload the crush collar but I do use a 1/2" air gun.
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

Quote Originally Posted by portponies View Post
    It takes quite a bit of torque to start it to crush. I usually start them with an impact.
    Alls I have is a shitty electric impact. It seemed to be slowly doing the job. I stopped using it today due to a lack of hearing protection, plus I would prefer to do it by hand if I can.

I laced a prybar into two bolts on the flange, wedging it against the floor. Russ, your suggestion to have some one stand on the brakes implys that the mastercylinder is bolted to the booster. Its not. Its laying in the hatch. I think...

I just did this last week on jackstands. I basically layed under the car on my back and was able to place my one foot on the lower control arm and gave it hell with a breaker bar. I could only move it about a eigth of a turn at a time but the once it starts to crush, you come up real fast on the ideal bearing preload so be careful and measure it often while your tightening.

Thanks for the tips, gentlemen. I'm gonna give 'er hell Saturday.

You get it down stew?your helping me with my gears next .
    99-ranger
    88-ranger
    89-spirit

spacer kits are the only way to go, crush collars are model T technology.

Quote Originally Posted by DRK View Post
    spacer kits are the only way to go, crush collars are model T technology.

Spacer kit? Say what?

Yeah, I got it done last thursday. Took me over an hour. Put two diveshaft bolts in, and ziptied my big prybar in with the handle on the ground. Breaker bar and socket on the nut, with a rag wadded up and stuffed under the handle to keep it from falling off while I crawled out from under the car; then I stuffed my head in the wheel well and tightened the nut maybe 1/12th of a turn. I then crawled back under the car, took the socket off the breaker bar and turned the socket 90 degrees and repeated. Total PITA. A helper would have made life easier.

Paul, if you want help doing gears I can help you out, but I'm not making any guarantees on noise or wear. I'm familiar enough with gears enough to try my own, but not familiar enough to teach some one. I'll know better when I get some miles on my gears with no noise and pull the cover and see a good wear pattern.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles.../photo_07.html

you can buy them just about anywhere you'd get a crush collar and they're less then $20

Quote Originally Posted by DRK View Post
    http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles.../photo_07.html

you can buy them just about anywhere you'd get a crush collar and they're less then $20
    Good article, would be nice to read a gear install article using one. I really need to subscribe to CC. The rebuild kit I bought had the crush collar in it. If I have to re-do this, or on my next one, I'll look further in the spacer kit. Thanks for the heads up.