2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee wants to die on corners. HELP!

My friend has a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the V6 and it wants to die around corners. There isn't much info on a google search but I've heard there may be a sensor on the steering rack that kicks the idle up on a turn (which could cause the problem). Does anybody know if this sensor is the problem, or at least a common problem? She isn't low on gas when she has the problem so I don't think its a fuel pickup problem. BTW, there is no SES light on.

Borchardt's SUCKS

1984 Hurst/Olds A4 W/ Lightning Rods '73 350 Rocket
    1993 Z28 M6 Mostly Stock, a couple of bolt ons
    2004 Silverado Regency (modded from the factory) Now with a Tom Tune!

View pics of my ride here

Yep, it shoots fireballs!!! stealthy1ss's Avatar

Contact TeamRev support truck. He is/was a chrysler tech at Palman in kenosha.

IIRC that sensor only kicks up the rpm during low slow speed tight cornering IE parking lot maneuvers to assist week drivers. Are you sure its not fuel related ? Water in the tank or EVAP issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
    IIRC that sensor only kicks up the rpm during low slow speed tight cornering IE parking lot maneuvers to assist week drivers. Are you sure its not fuel related ? Water in the tank or EVAP issues.
    I really don't think it fuel related just because of what I've heard from her. If there was water in the tank, why only on corners would it wanna die? I had heard of this sensor on the rack (possibly) and it made sense to me.

I will contact teamrev tomorrow and see what he has to say. Thanks for the lead! I'm getting frustrated with this and I haven't even looked at the car yet!

Borchardt's SUCKS

Irish
    Quote Originally Posted by 84hurst View Post
    I really don't think it fuel related just because of what I've heard from her. If there was water in the tank, why only on corners would it wanna die? I had heard of this sensor on the rack (possibly) and it made sense to me.

I will contact teamrev tomorrow and see what he has to say. Thanks for the lead! I'm getting frustrated with this and I haven't even looked at the car yet!
    Has she tried resetting the computer.... sometimes they have a mind of their own?

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    the rack sensor i believe is vacuum assisted. the worst it could do is cause a vacuum leak and a lean condition.jmho

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    Has she tried resetting the computer.... sometimes they have a mind of their own?
    I doubt she's tried that. How do you do it on a Crysler? Disconnect the battery? I'll tell her to try it. Or I'll do it.

Borchardt's SUCKS

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy MF'ng Johnson! View Post
    the rack sensor i believe is vacuum assisted. the worst it could do is cause a vacuum leak and a lean condition.jmho
    I'll see if I can look at it this week, a simple vaccum leak would be an easy fix. Would that cause the problem though?

Borchardt's SUCKS

Chrysler Certified Technician Plum Crazy's Avatar
    Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning

that sensor is the Steering Angle Sensor, and its all electronic, id check for codes, with those CAN bus vehicles, i may throw a code as "pending" and stay pending for a while. Id also check the Body Controller for "loss of Comunication" codes first. the Dealerconnect.com website is down, but i will look for TSB's and StarOnline Bulletins in a little bit.

Irish
    Quote Originally Posted by 84hurst View Post
    I doubt she's tried that. How do you do it on a Crysler? Disconnect the battery? I'll tell her to try it. Or I'll do it.
    That's what I would do.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamRev SUPPORT View Post
    that sensor is the Steering Angle Sensor, and its all electronic, id check for codes, with those CAN bus vehicles, i may throw a code as "pending" and stay pending for a while. Id also check the Body Controller for "loss of Comunication" codes first. the Dealerconnect.com website is down, but i will look for TSB's and StarOnline Bulletins in a little bit.
    Will a "pending" code turn on the mil? Do I need a special Crysler scanner to do this check or will any scanner work?

Borchardt's SUCKS

On the Jeep some of the earlier 5.7L Hemis had this problem. I can't remember what it was but, I believe it had something to do with the PCM. You want to visit a Jeep forum for the fix if you haven't already got this issue resolved. You could try resetting the the computer by disconnecting the negative battery cable and turning the key I think it is to 10 to 30 seconds to the start position.