Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Got Kicked OFF The Track A B4C Z's Avatar

GM Warranty BE AWARE!!!!

#09-06-04-026: Identifying Non-GM (Aftermarket) Engine and Transmission Calibrations for V8 Gas Engines - (May 18, 2009)

Subject: Identifying Non-GM (Aftermarket) Engine and Transmission Calibrations for V8 Gas Engines

Models: 2006-2009 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (Excluding Saab 9-7X)

2006-2009 HUMMER H2, H3

Equipped with V8 Gas Powered Engines Only

Attention: This bulletin applies to V8 gas powered engines ONLY. For all other gas powered engine applications, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 08-06-04-033D. For diesel powered engines, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 08-06-04-006C.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Motors is identifying an increasing number of engine, transmission and catalytic converter part failures that are the result of non-GM (aftermarket) engine and transmission control calibrations being used.

When alteration to the GM-released engine or transmission control calibrations occurs, it subjects powertrain and driveline components (engine , transmission, transfer case, driveshaft and rear axle) to stresses that were not tested by General Motors. It is because of these unknown stresses, and the potential to alter reliability, durability and emissions performance, that GM has adopted a policy to cancel any remaining warranty coverage to the powertrain and driveline components whenever the presence of a non-GM (aftermarket) calibration is confirmed - even if the non-GM control module calibration is subsequently removed.

Warranty coverage is based on the equipment and calibrations that were released on the vehicle at time of sale, or subsequently updated by GM. That’s because GM testing and validation matches the calibration to a host of criteria that is essential to assure reliability, durability and emissions performance over the life of the warranty coverage and beyond. Stresses resulting from calibrations different than those tested and released by GM can damage or weaken components, leading to poor performance and or shortened life.

Additionally, non-GM (aftermarket) issued engine control modifications often do not meet the same emissions performance standards as GM issued calibrations. Depending on state statutes, individuals who install engine control module calibrations that put the vehicle outside the parameters of emissions certification standards may be subject to fines and/or penalties.

This bulletin outlines a procedure to identify the presence of non-GM (aftermarket) calibrations. GM recommends performing this check whenever a hard part failure is seen on internal engine or transmission components, or before an engine assembly or transmission assembly is being replaced under warranty. It is also recommended that the engine calibration verification procedure be performed whenever diagnostics indicate that catalytic converter replacement is indicated.

In May 2009, the PQC will begin piloting a process to confirm the ECM/PCM calibration is GM issued. Beginning on May 18, 2009, the PQC will require a picture of the engine calibration verification screen, as outlined in this bulletin, before authorizing any V8 gas powered engine replacement.

If a non-GM calibration is found and verification has taken place through GM, the remaining powertrain and driveline warranty will be cancelled and notated in GMVIS and the dealership will be notified.

Plug in the Tech 2®.
    Go to diagnostics and build the vehicle.
    Select "Powertrain".
    Select "Engine".
    *Select "Engine Control Module" or "PCM".
    *Select "Module ID Information" or "I/M Information System" if module ID information selection is not available.
    *If "I/M information System" was selected, it may be necessary to select "Vehicle Information" in order to display the calibration information.

Take a CLEAR digital picture of the Tech 2® screen showing the engine calibration verification information as shown above.
    E-mail the snapshot picture to tacsnapshot@gm.com. In the subject line of the email include the phrase "V8 Cal" as well as the complete VIN and Dealer BAC. In the body of the e-mail, inlcude the VIN, mileage, R.O. number and BAC.
    Allow two hours for the PQC to verify the calibrations and set up the case details.
    You may call the PQC two hours after submitting the e-mail for authorization to replace the assembly. This will provide them time to receive, review and set up a case on the request. Please be prepared to provide all the usual documentation that is normally required when requesting an assembly authorization from the PQC.
    If the CVN information is displayed as "N/A", it will be necessary to contact the TCSC (1-800-828-6860 English or 1-800-503-3222 French) to obtain the CVN information.

1998 Black on Black Regal
    2010 Black on Black Denali

chrysler sent the same letter a couple months ago regarding the diesel engine tuners. the manufacturers are tightening the belts. FORD has us testing all diesel fuel, inspecting oil, fuel, and air filters for aftermarkets, and as always checking for codes that show the vehicle was recalibrated.

Yeah i seen that TSB on TBSSowners.com. In my own situtation i only care about the rest of the vehicle warranty, the powertain i fix my self.

Thanks diesel boys!
    Last edited by BAD LS1; 05-26-2009 at 10:00 AM.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

cant the calibration be switched to stock?
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.

\/ What amazing looks like \/
    i take it there is a way to see if a car has been tuned in the past? if the cars tune had been returned back to stock?

I have not been able to confirm if HPT alters this information they are looking for. A step further would be GM evaluating the PCM and comparing it to stock, and that would out you very quickly.

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    I'm more interested in if the BCM or ACM knows if you've been running on a different PCM than the installed one for 90% of the vehicle's life.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post
    I'm more interested in if the BCM or ACM knows if you've been running on a different PCM than the installed one for 90% of the vehicle's life.
    Mileage accrual would be diff.

i know on the FORDs, the mileage is stored in the cluster.

Quote Originally Posted by BAD LS1 View Post
    Mileage accrual would be diff.
    In the trucks it is stored in the cluster.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

Pissed off the admins and earned a time out.
    They released a notice like this regarding the diesels quite some time ago. GM has wised up to peoples warranty claim shenanigans.

In the trucks it is stored in the cluster.
    As it is in the GTO and the G8 but not the rest of the Pontiac family.

pretty typical of MOST GM's to have mileage count in the BCM at minimum, there are lots of GM's that arent stored in the cluster too.

Chrysler Certified Technician Plum Crazy's Avatar
    Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning

GM controllers you can tell, when you go to read the software number it has all question marks, if you are going to tune your car, and you still have warranty, buy an extra engine controller.

Fast grocery getter...
    OH no!!! Tom does that mean all the fun I have been having in my truck since you "adjusted" it, may cause me to void my certified warranty? I guess I will save up for a built tranny and rebuild any problems with the engine that may occur...TOM Tune FTW!!!
    2006 AWD Black TBSS
    Tom tuned
    ...Now it's Loose and Loud!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotion View Post
    OH no!!! Tom does that mean all the fun I have been having in my truck since you "adjusted" it, may cause me to void my certified warranty? I guess I will save up for a built tranny and rebuild any problems with the engine that may occur...TOM Tune FTW!!!
    hahah perhaps, well my 08's warranty is fucked then too lol

Speaking of, anyone tune a 6L80e yet?

Speaking of, anyone tune a 6L80e yet?
    Yes, on Jeff's Denali pickup.

so could you get a new PCM and swap it out for warranty work, or would they know its not the right one?
    03 Audi RS6 -v8 twin turbo-
    02 Crewcab Dually -dropped and smoking on semi wheels -
    02 VW Jetta -1.8t will nevar lose-

Fast grocery getter...
    Quote Originally Posted by fly5150 View Post
    so could you get a new PCM and swap it out for warranty work, or would they know its not the right one?
    Dave, I believe what Tom was saying about the actual mileage being off would probably throw them a red flag, but I wasn't sure if you had a case learn done on the "new" computers if they would read as the stock unit that came with the truck. Might be something to try out???
    2006 AWD Black TBSS
    Tom tuned
    ...Now it's Loose and Loud!!!