Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    wow,this thread sure changed directions...

I agree with bosslx for sure,it takes more than just deep pockets to field one of these monsters. I know of quite a few cars that have more time than money invested in them,and they actually run quite well for what they are.
    Voodoo chick,you cant be discouraged by the other that "out spend" you,that should make you strive to do WHATEVER IT TAKES. sometimes that means a few part time jobs,or ramen noodles for a month straight,3 times a day..... ;D
    Check out our NEW online store!
    http://store.clocksoffracing.com/

I guess what is most amusing is how people think a guy is rich if he has big horsepower and a fast car. If you don't know their background, don't judge!
    Look at Glidden vs Pappas!
    Glidden works on a shoestring budget compared to Pappas, but uses what he and his family knows to get it done. But can you really take anything away from Pappas because money is on his side? He still has the love-drive-determination to do his thing.
    Both come from different backgrounds but they share the same passion.
    Can't we all just get along!!
    Last edited by DR.FORD; 05-19-2009 at 08:47 AM.
    "Never underestimate old guys"

You also need to remember that it takes more than one person to make any car truely fast. I've never seen a fast car at any track with just one person working on it!

Quote Originally Posted by juicedimpss View Post

you cant be discouraged by the other that "out spend" you,that should make you strive to do WHATEVER IT TAKES. sometimes that means a few part time jobs,or ramen noodles for a month straight,3 times a day..... ;D
    That's it! How bad do you want it? If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way. The rich guys were not all born rich. Many of them were just regular guys that built up a business or worked up the corporate ladder. They took a risk, sacrificed, worked hard, and made it happen. Now they get to play. Bottom line, build the car that you can, based on what time and money YOU are willing to sacrifice. Then go out there and enjoy it.

Irish
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Chick View Post
    I find it completely moronic that people actually get butthurt when you are openly dazzled by your own car, too....it's almost the same as someone being pissed off when you think your own wife is beautiful. Oh well, retardation knows no boundaries....
    Even a blind person needs to be told when there is a large crack in the sidewalk!

Oh and regrading your signature....
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Chick View Post
    If you don't have something nice to say shut your ******* mouth.
    If that is how you feel,
    (A.) You are on the WRONG website.
    (B.) If you don't like/agree with what someone has to say, either ignore it or don't respond.

C'mon, we are not talking about nuclear thermodynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Fuel Tom View Post
    Bottom line, build the car that you can, based on what time and money YOU are willing to sacrifice. Then go out there and enjoy it.
    Quote ftmfw! End thread/.
    Last edited by Irish; 05-19-2009 at 09:50 AM.

That's it! How bad do you want it? If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way. The rich guys were not all born rich. Many of them were just regular guys that built up a business or worked up the corporate ladder. They took a risk, sacrificed, worked hard, and made it happen. Now they get to play. Bottom line, build the car that you can, based on what time and money YOU are willing to sacrifice. Then go out there and enjoy it.
    If they only knew, right Tom?!
    Remember when it was cool to wire brush your brake drums, paint them red, and put on your used set of aluminum slots and air shocks!!
    I even borrowed the money from Mom to buy the Truetest red enamel

Quote Originally Posted by DR.FORD View Post
    If they only knew, right Tom?!
    Remember when it was cool to wire brush your brake drums, paint them red, and put on your used set of aluminum slots and air shocks!!
    I even borrowed the money from Mom to buy the Truetest red enamel

Hey, that was big dollar in the day!

I remember having my air shocks pumped up so hard that the back tires would bounce off the ground going over tar strips.

I agree with everything being said here - it isn't just a fat wallet it takes a lot more, and yeah shit has really escalated the last 5-10 years.

I am by no means rich - I built my car by basically buying, building, selling, trading 50 different cars over 20 years into the hobby and basically slowly but surely working up to the cars I have now. I used to have beater classic Mopars, then a pretty nice Charger I built and rebuilt several times, DSMs, then Stealths, then my first Viper, then what I have now. Its not like many people including me just write a check for a high dollar car - its the culmination of years of work and upgrading.

Add to that the fact that you can't just write a check and hop in and click off a 8 or 9 second pass. Believe me, it's a whole new world stepping into driving an 8 or 9 second car. My last Viper ran 10.50s and the one I have now was like stepping into a whole new world. I was SCARED going down the track, for the first time in a long long time. Prepping it, launching it, keeping it straight, shifitng it, etc. is all suddenly a handful and it all happens so fast. A second or two faster doesn't sound like a lot, but it is an exponential difference. This is why I haven't run faster than 9.02 in a car that is capable of high 7's low 8's, same as many others. What is the fastest Tri has actually run in his Supra for example? It definitely takes a hell of a lot more than writing a check to get that fast timeslip.

I remember 5-10 years ago I had my Charger out a lot and with my first motor it ran 12.80's or so and that was fast enough to beat almost everything that was regularly out on the street. There were only really a few of the Mustang guys that were regularly faster lol. Nowadays, it seems your not "fast" unless you have a 9 second car....
    96 Viper GTS Underground Racing Twin 78mm Precision turbos, Proline 510 stroker-1483RWHP
    73 Challenger Bickel Chassis, Indy 572 HEMI-860HP
    67 Plymouth Fury Police Pursuit, Indy 505-600HP
    94 Stealth RT/TT built 6G72, 13G, FMIC
    75 Trailduster 440 Convertible
    92 Galant VR4 #848
    04 Neon SRT4 Mods!

Hey, that was big dollar in the day!

I remember having my air shocks pumped up so hard that the back tires would bounce off the ground going over tar strips.
    I actually miss those days! It was a whole lot easier!!
    [QUOTE=Moparjim;542524]I agree with everything being said here - it isn't just a fat wallet it takes a lot more, and yeah shit has really escalated the last 5-10 years.

I am by no means rich - I built my car by basically buying, building, selling, trading 50 different cars over 20 years into the hobby and basically slowly but surely working up to the cars I have now. I used to have beater classic Mopars, then a pretty nice Charger I built and rebuilt several times, DSMs, then Stealths, then my first Viper, then what I have now. Its not like many people including me just write a check for a high dollar car - its the culmination of years of work and upgrading.

Add to that the fact that you can't just write a check and hop in and click off a 8 or 9 second pass. Believe me, it's a whole new world stepping into driving an 8 or 9 second car. My last Viper ran 10.50s and the one I have now was like stepping into a whole new world. I was SCARED going down the track, for the first time in a long long time. Prepping it, launching it, keeping it straight, shifitng it, etc. is all suddenly a handful and it all happens so fast. A second or two faster doesn't sound like a lot, but it is an exponential difference. This is why I haven't run faster than 9.02 in a car that is capable of high 7's low 8's, same as many others. What is the fastest Tri has actually run in his Supra for example? It definitely takes a hell of a lot more than writing a check to get that fast timeslip.

Absolutely!

While I agree there's a lot more to building a car than a fat wallet... said fat wallet makes it EASIER.

I think that's the point you guys are missing. I'm not saying you guys don't have late nights, sweaty pits and busted knuckles on your cars. I'm saying being able to afford the go-fast goodies makes it easier to go fast.

And it is all about sacrifice. I have a certain level of comfort in life I'm not willing to give up. I know I could probably find an extra $100+ a month by not having cable or by cutting out eating out. I'm just not willing to do that.

As much as I enjoy my car, I enjoy my quality of life as well.

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by nismodave View Post
    Its too crazy out there now.

More than ever its the biggest wallet that wins races.

More reason to build a nice street car, get it to a point where its enough to snap your head back when you floor it, and just enjoy.
    Couldn't agree more.

No matter what your motorsport of choice there will always be someone faster. Only word of wisdom I have is build your car for what YOU want it to be. Don't try to build it to impress someone else. Have fun with the thing and don't get too caught up in paying XXX% more to go just a touch faster.

Fun is getting on the Howell ramp going a little sideways at 75... right Ron My car may not ever go 10s, it may never break any records at RA, Gingerman, etc, but if it puts a smile on my face that's all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
    Fun is getting on the Howell ramp going a little sideways at 75... right Ron My car may not ever go 10s, it may never break any records at RA, Gingerman, etc, but if it puts a smile on my face that's all that matters.
    I couldn't agree more, except that your car is more than capable of 10's

Quote Originally Posted by TheRX7Project View Post
    I couldn't agree more, except that your car is more than capable of 10's
    Especially with that super slick paint job!!
    maybe 9s after the "finish polish"

Quote Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
    Couldn't agree more.

No matter what your motorsport of choice there will always be someone faster. Only word of wisdom I have is build your car for what YOU want it to be. Don't try to build it to impress someone else. Have fun with the thing and don't get too caught up in paying XXX% more to go just a touch faster.

im still smiling ear to ear like a lil' kid on christmas.

i think imma be a ricer someday,that shit was fun.

with all this old school talk.....was i even born yet?
    "If you keep feeding a lion, then run out of food, you're the food.."

Quote Originally Posted by juicedimpss View Post
    im still smiling ear to ear like a lil' kid on christmas.

i think imma be a ricer someday,that shit was fun.
    1st and 2nd Gen RX7's are cheap to be had and plenty of fun. If the wonder box scares you off just drop in an LS1 like everyone else and you'll have a hell of a handful of car.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRX7Project View Post
    While I agree there's a lot more to building a car than a fat wallet... said fat wallet makes it EASIER.

I think that's the point you guys are missing. I'm not saying you guys don't have late nights, sweaty pits and busted knuckles on your cars. I'm saying being able to afford the go-fast goodies makes it easier to go fast.

And it is all about sacrifice. I have a certain level of comfort in life I'm not willing to give up. I know I could probably find an extra $100+ a month by not having cable or by cutting out eating out. I'm just not willing to do that.

As much as I enjoy my car, I enjoy my quality of life as well.
    I agree that a fat wallet makes it easier to buy the parts. That does not always equate to going faster.
    I've lived "both sides of the fence"- I wouldn't trade either for anything.
    Everyone should go from kindergarten to college one grade at a time.
    I think I just got into "middle school"
    MOST IMPORTANT is what Mr. Nitrous Pig said...
    having people helping you is a huge part of the puzzle. You also find out your true friends when they want to see you do well and not ask for anything in return. NOBODY does it alone!
    We can all agree that each individual person sets their own goals, so don't complain about what it costs. If you want it bad enough- EARN IT!!!!
    Don't forget the old addage "Speed costs money- How fast do you want to go"!
    I think you'll find that the majority of people with what you consider "fast cars" actually live it. Usually no other hobbies, Friday nights and weekends in the garage, NHRA boxers, etc.
    oops, did I just say that?

Quote Originally Posted by DR.FORD View Post
    I agree that a fat wallet makes it easier to buy the parts. That does not always equate to going faster.
    I've lived "both sides of the fence"- I wouldn't trade either for anything.
    Everyone should go from kindergarten to college one grade at a time.
    I think I just got into "middle school"
    MOST IMPORTANT is what Mr. Nitrous Pig said...
    having people helping you is a huge part of the puzzle. You also find out your true friends when they want to see you do well and not ask for anything in return. NOBODY does it alone!
    We can all agree that each individual person sets their own goals, so don't complain about what it costs. If you want it bad enough- EARN IT!!!!
    Don't forget the old addage "Speed costs money- How fast do you want to go"!
    I think you'll find that the majority of people with what you consider "fast cars" actually live it. Usually no other hobbies, Friday nights and weekends in the garage, NHRA MANTHONGS, etc.
    oops, did I just say that?
    uh,jim.......might want to keep that stuff to yourself.

phucker- I'll get ya back!!

In your face, Space Coyote.... Voodoo Chick's Avatar
    [quote=IRISH;542503]Even a blind person needs to be told when there is a large crack in the sidewalk!

Oh and regrading your signature....

If that is how you feel,
    (A.) You are on the WRONG website.
    (B.) If you don't like/agree with what someone has to say, either ignore it or don't respond.

C'mon, we are not talking about nuclear thermodynamics.[/quote}

Regarding my signature, A) C'mon!! You usually catch sarcastic jokes without having to be told they are jokes!! B) If everyone did this, there'd BE no forums, anywhere, people by nature feel compelled to share their feelings, and argue, and nitpick.....if they didn't, online forums would be , well, really, really boring........and....just for the record.....in this particular case....there IS no crack in the sidewalk!