So, what would you guys recommend...

For a white car? I don't trust myself machine polishing, but the car probably needs it. It's now almost 5 years old, and although I wash/wax it regularly I have never had it "proffesionally" detailed. Been thinking about having it done this year to give it a little spruce up, but if you guys have products that you feel are safe for even a rookie to use and give great results I would be willing to give it a shot.

Are those stripes vinyl or paint? if its vinyl you want to stay clear of them with a machine polisher. In those 5 years I'm sure that the car has gained some swirl marks from various sources, even if you kept it waxed. The nice thing about white is I don't think it really shows the swirls as bad as a darker colored car.

First step is wash and clay, the second step is polishing, the third would be protecting (wax/sealant). The polishing step would be to remove swirl marks, light scratches, and give some depth to the paint.

A FLEX polisher is a little overkill, but would make quick work of it all. It is safe to use and I wouldn't recommend going too aggressive anyways. If you didn't have many swirl marks you can do the same diamond white glaze I used on the G8. You can use it with a white CCS pad which only has little cutting power. Then swap over to a soft blue pad and apply your sealant that way.

You can get a high powered (1000w) light and shine it on the paint to see if you have imperfections and judge at that point of you can go at it by hand. The glaze, sealant, and wax can be applied by hand and will not do any damage. The poorboy's world products are very user friendly and do deliver great results.
    --
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jon_we4 View Post
    Are those stripes vinyl or paint? if its vinyl you want to stay clear of them with a machine polisher. In those 5 years I'm sure that the car has gained some swirl marks from various sources, even if you kept it waxed. The nice thing about white is I don't think it really shows the swirls as bad as a darker colored car.

First step is wash and clay, the second step is polishing, the third would be protecting (wax/sealant). The polishing step would be to remove swirl marks, light scratches, and give some depth to the paint.

A FLEX polisher is a little overkill, but would make quick work of it all. It is safe to use and I wouldn't recommend going too aggressive anyways. If you didn't have many swirl marks you can do the same diamond white glaze I used on the G8. You can use it with a white CCS pad which only has little cutting power. Then swap over to a soft blue pad and apply your sealant that way.

You can get a high powered (1000w) light and shine it on the paint to see if you have imperfections and judge at that point of you can go at it by hand. The glaze, sealant, and wax can be applied by hand and will not do any damage. The poorboy's world products are very user friendly and do deliver great results.

They are painted, and thanks for the info. Have you ever used any of the liquid claybar type products? I am sure they are safe, but do they really have the action of a "real" clay bar?

Quote Originally Posted by STANMAN View Post
    They are painted, and thanks for the info. Have you ever used any of the liquid claybar type products? I am sure they are safe, but do they really have the action of a "real" clay bar?
    I would recommend a real clay bar - I don't officially offer any currently but I will be in testing soon.
    --
    Jon