Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black Hole Glaze on a Black C6 Z06

I was over at a friends house tonight. He is a devout Zaino user, and an owner of a Black 2007 Corvette Z06. The car has some miles on it and has the normal wear and tear.

These photos are not touched up, just resized. The first photo was just after a quick mist and wipe down. It appears over exposed, but the camera settings were not changed. I was just getting more glare off the paint.

I did not have much time, and we were not going to get super crazy. I did not do anything abrasive. I used a white CCS pad with my FLEX polisher and I used Poorboy's World Black Hole Glaze. This will help with removing and hiding swirl marks. This was after a few minutes of polishing.

To top it off I applied some Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Wax.

The final results were pretty nice. Very smooth finish. Still had a few visible swirl marks, but as you can see its much better. If we had spent some time with it and gone just a hair more aggressive the finish would be flawless.

Attached Images Attached Images
    --
    Jon

Very nice Jon!

Jon you keep doing demos your gonna have fore arms like popeye !!

In your face, Space Coyote.... Voodoo Chick's Avatar
    That looks flawless already!!

turt mcgurt - zenki master TURTLE's Avatar
    want to try it out on another black car?

i've really gotta get a good buffer one of these days...

you've definitely got my attention with the black paint demo!
    -josh

'02 Neon ES(ACR/T) - R.I.P. 1-18-08
    '97 Neon Sport(track slut) - axles and brakes v2.0
    '98 Neon R/T sedan(DD) - "artie"
    "Speak softly, and carry a big stick" - Teddy Roosevelt

I think you should demo this on a red car btw!

Ive got a Reallll Nice Black car almost done that would be a perfect demo car! Old School, Muscle!!
    "If you keep feeding a lion, then run out of food, you're the food.."

Quote Originally Posted by Yooformula View Post
    I was just going to say that I have the perfect donor car with swirl marks and all.

"Black is Beautiful!"
    "If you keep feeding a lion, then run out of food, you're the food.."

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey1226 View Post
    "Black is Beautiful!"
    or...

once you go black, you never go back!
    -josh

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Chick View Post
    That looks flawless already!!
    The camera didn't pick up the remaining swirls. It was maybe just a few, and the scratch above the reflector did not come out.

Quote Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
    want to try it out on another black car?

i've really gotta get a good buffer one of these days...

you've definitely got my attention with the black paint demo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yooformula View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey1226 View Post
    Ive got a Reallll Nice Black car almost done that would be a perfect demo car! Old School, Muscle!!
    I like giving demo's - but I've been working on factory clear coats that don't need a ton of correction. I'll be doing my truck soon which does need the aggressive pad and a few rounds of swirl removers. The only thing I'd be afraid about is a softer clear coat with using the FLEX. I'd want to use the least aggressive pad I have and see how it turns out, but it would be hiding and not removing and swirl marks.

I have a friend with 2 black cars. An Audi A4 with a hard clear coat and a BMW 3 series with a soft clear coat. I think one of these weekends I'll do both cars and see which finishes like which pads.
    --
    Jon

I'm interested in what products work best for your friends 3 series. The paint on my black 3 looks like its seen action in desert storm, and I've been contemplating paying a pro vs. doing it myself.

Not to be taken serious Karps TA's Avatar
    I might have to try that glaze. Is it effective by hand, or do you really need the power of the buffer?

I'm just getting ready to do the first big detailing of the TA this week for the summer, so I might want to pick up a bottle of this if you think it'll help. I don't have a ton of swirl marks other then the 'glass hood, which seems impossible to keep from happening. I already use the Natty Blue.
    Ex-Trans Am owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Karps TA View Post
    I might have to try that glaze. Is it effective by hand, or do you really need the power of the buffer?
    Since I also sell the buffer, and it makes quick work of detailing, I use it when possible. The glaze can be worked in by hand, but I did not do a comparison. I would say that you'd mask the swirls with it because there is not as much cutting power. If you put a light up to it and you do see swirls you might want to start with Poorboy's World SSR1, then go to the glaze, sealant, and then wax.

SSR will remove the swirls, glaze will add depth, sealant will add protection, and wax will enhance the protection with more of a 'wet' look.
    --
    Jon

I already tried using the SSR1 and SSR2 but by hand I don't think they work enough. I should buy a buffer someday, but I need a walkthru on what pads are used for what. I fear making things worse.
    Ex-Trans Am owner.

I carry 4 color pads in one size currently. Lake Country Mfg make a wide variety of pads but we carry what would actually work with the FLEX polisher. LC is working on a smaller backing plate for the FLEX so you can get into tighter areas, I really hope I can get one in my hands to test very soon.

Orange Pad: Cutting Pad for Swirl Removal
    For use with the SSR's... I would use this if the white pad did not do a good enough job.

White Pad: Polishing Pad with light cutting
    What I've used with polishes and glazes. Removes and helps to hid a great amount of the swirl marks on the tests I've done.

Grey Pad: Finessing Pad
    Very little cutting, could be used to apply polishes, glazes, and sealants.

Blue Pad: Finishing Pad
    No cutting power, very soft. Use to quickly apply a sealant.

They have a yellow pad, but the random orbital machine would just make a mess with it. You'd need a rotary polisher at that point. They do have a purple wool pad that I can get if the orange did not do the job.

The polisher has a forced orbital rotation, so it is safe. Just keep the the machine moving and slowly work the compound down. On a black finish, your biggest concern would be hologram marks (IMO). If you go at it in steps, and take your time - you should get fantastic results.
    --
    Jon

jon, you've got PM...
    -josh

Well after seeing my car in the sun on Sunday, you've got an order for the Black Hole stuff.
    Ex-Trans Am owner.

Im picking up some too.

Quote Originally Posted by Karps TA View Post
    Well after seeing my car in the sun on Sunday, you've got an order for the Black Hole stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
    Im picking up some too.
    Thanks guys

Hopefully I'll be able to get back down to IL in the next few weeks to finish this Z06. I'll do the entire Swirl Remover, Glaze, Wax treatment to it and take photos.
    --
    Jon