Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    that thing is lookin really badass dude....sweet fricken project....anyone wanna hook me up with a free bike? lmao
    I was a Soldier, I am a Soldier, I will always be a Soldier

Finally got around to doing a little cleaning up to see if the headlight and gauges would shine up. Turned out nice.

You can see how tarnished and dirty they were.

A little bit of steel wool and some elbow grease later...

Shined up like a new penny.

Post from the other another forum:

Made some more progress. I used KREEM to get rid of the rust in my gas tank and recoat it. It's like a brand new tank now. It turned out great.

Got my throttle, and clutch hooked back up and operating properly.

I also got all the new gaskets on the carbs and put that back.

Took the mirrors off today and it looks 10x more rad. Fuck it. I'm going sans the mirrors. Might not be the safest thing but it just looks dope.

Unfortunately I'm not getting any power even though I put a new battery in. Soooo, I have a call into an electrician guy I know who is a genius when it comes to wiring shit ad actually enjoys diagnosing and rectifying issues like this. I hope to get him over ASAP.

In the mean time this week my plans are:

-Remove the rims and paint them
    -Possibly have the new Pirellis mounted.
    -Sandblast exhaust and order heat wrap
    -Grind off the rust around the rim of the gas tank on the outside (just minor surface rust)
    -PAINT THE TANK THE FINAL COLOR!
    -I'd like to get to upholstering the seat, but I'm kinda dreading it

Today...

Been getting to work on this SOB! Now that I got my job back I need a ride so I'm trying to wrap this bad boy up.

First things first. Like I said I used the KREEM stuff to take care of the rust in the tank. You can see the shit in there in these pics and around the fill spout. That is completely gone now and all sealed up.

Yesterday I started painting the wheels. Yeah I'm half ass rattle canning it, but it's good enough for now. I'm thinking I'll powder coat'em over winter.

Here's the ugly bastard stock.

Just with some degreaser it looks better.

Primed it. Looks better already.

Few coats later.

My next step was to paint the lip flat black. I wanted a two tone flat and gloss black for the wheels. Just to add a lil som som. It was good leaving the old tires on. Saved me from having to mask off the tire.

I spent a bunch of time on the tank, but I'm not happy with the finish. I used different paint then I normally use for flat/sating flat paint and it just turned out a lil blotchy. I'm gonna redo it tomorrow so more pics of that coming then. It's primed and ready to go though.

Again like I said, I wasn't getting any power to anything. Had an electrical guru guy I know come over and trouble shot stuff and BAM! POWA! I can tell it wants to just fire up. I don't have the petcocks on the tank yet though so I couldn't fire it up. I will be getting then on tomorrow and it's getting fired up. There's still no exhaust so it should be a lotta fun!

Irish
    Eyes glued to this thread! This thing is turning out great! Did you use never dull or just steel wool by itself?

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    Eyes glued to this thread! This thing is turning out great! Did you use never dull or just steel wool by itself?
    For the gauges and headlight? Just steel wool. Funny you mention Never Dull. This shit is haunting me all of a sudden.

I was at Ace the other day looking for some polishing stuff. I spent like 10 min looking at my options. For SOME reason the only thing i actually picked up and opened to look at was that stuff. I found it to be peculiar but put it back. Then tonight my electrical guy says "Hey I got this stuff called Never Dull. I'll let you use it." I'm like cool. Now you mention it. Weird.

we had some stuff we used when I was in the Navy, just like never dull. That shit was Awesome!!!

Disappointing women since 1970.
    Love you Mom

how bad was the rust inside the tank itself? im starting a cafe project on an 81 cb750k next week and im pretty sure the inside of the tank is kinda rusty......where did you get the kreem stuff?
    2007 brilliant black Chrysler 300C SRT8

Quote Originally Posted by 946speedz View Post
    how bad was the rust inside the tank itself? im starting a cafe project on an 81 cb750k next week and im pretty sure the inside of the tank is kinda rusty......where did you get the kreem stuff?
    The rust was bad but nothing that couldn't be fixed. The Kreem stuff really works well. It's a total PITA but it works if you do it right. I got it at Don & Roys for $39 which is what it costs online too. They stock it.

Good luck on the CB. Cool bikes.

Some quick updates. Visually the bike is coming together. I sandblasted the exhaust, then painted it with heat resistant grill paint (it won't last forever but I'm not expecting it to), then wrapped it with black exhaust wrap, and then finally put it back on.

Got some other misc stuff (new brake lever ((it was broken)), etc etc)

I'm still having issues getting it to run. But hopefully soon. I'm still pluggin away at it. I should have a nice appreciation for this POS when it's done.

Last edited by Exitspeed; 07-20-2009 at 09:17 PM.

Turns out the new battery I bought is dead. I returned it and got a new one. Put it on and the bike started up. It ran for about 4 seconds and died.

So now I need to sync the carbs and get it tuned. Hopefully that will be the end of the BS.

Things left to do:

-Upholster seat
    -Install turn signals and brake light
    -Buy and install Mirrors
    -Have the new Pirelli's mounted
    -Clean the ish out of the whole bike

-Learn how to ride a bike! lol.
    Last edited by Exitspeed; 07-23-2009 at 01:31 PM.

It's alive!

Updates soon.

I'm hoping to have the bike complete by next weekend.

^awesome dude, ive been following this thread and I must say for your first project you kicked some serious ass

Money Comes and Money Goes,
    But Rat Fink is Forever
    "There isn't a man living who isn't capable of doing more than he thinks he can." Henry Ford

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    Sweet!

Get the bar end mirrors? That would be the ticket on that bike!

Quote Originally Posted by xFullThrottlex View Post
    ^awesome dude, ive been following this thread and I must say for your first project you kicked some serious ass
    Thanks. I'm glad it's turning out good.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawlin View Post
    Sweet!

Get the bar end mirrors? That would be the ticket on that bike!
    I want some so bad...but they are all so damn expensive. The Rizomo ones are like $120 or something. I'm still trying to keep it a budget build, but I may just have to bit the bullet and spring for'em.

EDIT: Screw it, I'm gonna order some cheap ebay ones. They are like $29. It's still a budget build. No need for me to go spending money like I'm putting them on a Ducati. It's not gonna make or break the bike anyway. Just have to find out if they fit.
    Last edited by Exitspeed; 07-29-2009 at 04:46 PM.

Look at pedal bike mirrors. Last time I bought a bar end mirror it was like 9 bucks from milwaukee cycle salvage

Quote Originally Posted by Exitspeed View Post
    Thanks. I'm glad it's turning out good.

I want some so bad...but they are all so damn expensive. The Rizomo ones are like $120 or something. I'm still trying to keep it a budget build, but I may just have to bit the bullet and spring for'em.

EDIT: Screw it, I'm gonna order some cheap ebay ones. They are like $29. It's still a budget build. No need for me to go spending money like I'm putting them on a Ducati. It's not gonna make or break the bike anyway. Just have to find out if they fit.
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

BIG fun updates coming this weekend!

I worked on something all night last night and it turned out freakin SWEET! That's all I'm saying for now.

Ok fuck it here ya go.

I finally got around to painting the front rim. And not only did I do that I decided "Hey I love the look of black wheels with a red lip". So I said fuck it and did it. Plus it is a common color scheme in Cafe's. It turned out pretty freakin rad IMO. I'm really happy with it. It gives the bike a little punch.

I got the Pirelli's installed finally too. The paint held up damn well considering it is rattled canned and I did it the night before having the tires put on. That makes me a little more confident they would look terrible after a year.

The money shot.

I know the seat is throwing it off, and I think I'm gonna get that done this week.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Exitspeed; 08-08-2009 at 04:59 PM.

That's pretty cool makes me want to do one....

Disappointing women since 1970.
    Love you Mom

Boost went where again? Silver86's Avatar

this things starting to look pretty damn cool! nice job!
    - 86' rx7 - 06' mustang GT - 04' xterra SE -

you are makin me wanna go work on my cb750 cafe......havent touched it in 3 weeks.......
    2007 brilliant black Chrysler 300C SRT8