3.8L supercharger pulley (advise me)

I'm investigating and tossing the idea around of upgrading the stock s/c pulley in my '98 3.8L.

Can anyone recommend a pulley/brand, size (heard not to go below 3.4''). Also, anyone with a pcm tuner designed for the upgrade to ensure I've done it the right way and not the wrong way? I've already deleted the stock resonator and will be deleting the crappy U-bend very soon.

Any suggestions (relevant to this topic) would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by GRM-REPR View Post
    I'm investigating and tossing the idea around of upgrading the stock s/c pulley in my '98 3.8L.

Can anyone recommend a pulley/brand, size (heard not to go below 3.4''). Also, anyone with a pcm tuner designed for the upgrade to ensure I've done it the right way and not the wrong way? I've already deleted the stock resonator and will be deleting the crappy U-bend very soon.

Any suggestions (relevant to this topic) would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon
    http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GP3001/GPUNDE...er+Pulley.html

This one would work fine. If those mods are all your going to do I certainly wouldn't go below the 3.4. I would also go with an open cone filter. You will want to hear the supercharger whine! If you are just doing the pulley swap and maybe an open cone filter you really wouldn't need a tune for that. You could look into get a mail order from www.zzperformance.com

i have the stock pulley from my stage 3, which is pretty much the same blower i beleive. it is a 2.9x something i think. you can have it if you want. i will also have a 2.8 in a couple weeks that you could try. let me know. and i would get a tune for any pulley swap.
    Last edited by 07ROUSHSTG3; 05-04-2009 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 07ROUSHSTG3 View Post
    i have the stock pulley from my stage 3, which is pretty much the same blower i beleive. it is a 2.9x something i think. you can have it if you want. i will also have a 2.8 in a couple weeks that you could try. let me know. and i would get a tune for any pulley swap.
    Those pulley's will be way to small for his car. He would need a ton of mods to be able to support that. Even the 3.25 would be to much for his car. He shouldn't go below the 3.4. It will give the car a nice gain. He wouldn't need a tune for that pulley either. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have one but wouldn't be necessary. I would wait to get one until he did more to the car. You can get a programmed pcm sent to you from zzperformance and it will work great if he wants a tune. Otherwise you could also pm bad ls1 and he could tune it probably cheaper than ordering one from zzp!
    Last edited by Z28Envy; 05-04-2009 at 09:37 PM.

Thanks for the good info! Makes me feel better knowing I asked before just doing the swap. Also, I have a pulley removal tool but does this pulley require anything other than just pulling it off? I have just a standard looking one that I've used to pull GM and Ford power steering pullies off.

Or does someone have one laying around?

Thanks again for the advice.

I would suggest tossing a little heat on the pulley to aid in removal. Plenty of people have snapped the small threaded rod that screws into the end of the snout.

JEFF

1999 C5 TT street car - 901/881 on pump gas, 10.82@137mph
    2013 Denali Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by SLOWC5 View Post
    I would suggest tossing a little heat on the pulley to aid in removal. Plenty of people have snapped the small threaded rod that screws into the end of the snout.

JEFF
    Good advice, thanks!

Or you could look on http://www.clubgp.com/ for a used one or http://www.3800performance.com/Merch...ry_Code=SCP_PSBut i don't think you want to go smaller than a 3.5 in stock form.
    http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic372_2.gif

I have a 3.4 on mine and its been on there since I've owned it. Ive been advised to not go smaller unless a tune is done. Plus you will always want to use Premium to avoid knock retard from what I understand. Espically during the summer. You could also go with a cooler plug for shits and giggles.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    I have a 3.4 on mine and its been on there since I've owned it. Ive been advised to not go smaller unless a tune is done. Plus you will always want to use Premium to avoid knock retard from what I understand. Espically during the summer. You could also go with a cooler plug for shits and giggles.
    I was also told not to go below a 3.4 unless it's modded to support it.

Yes, a used one would be nice unless a stock one from an auto parts store has them cheap. The link I went on that was posted wants $85, thats a lot for a pulley!

3.4 with plugs, and intake, thermostat, and a tune will run fine most times. each car runs different with the same mods. mine ran very well, i added a 3" downpipe, that woke it up quite a bit as well.
    "A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

Fast grocery getter...
    Steve nailed it on the head, every car is unique. Just because Joe Blow says its ok, doesn't mean yours will run the same. If you are planning on putting a smaller pulley on, whether it be a 3.5 or 3.4 pulley, get the car scanned and see what type of knock retard (KR) you are seeing in stock form. A GTP with a 3.8 pulley with 0 KR will typically be faster than a 3.5 pullied car with 8 degrees of KR, the more KR the more timing that is pulled from the PCM, which in your case would slow you down. Use a supercharger pulley puller, as jeff stated a little heat to losen it up wouldn't be a bad idea, badls1 (tom) can tune the hell out of cars, clubgp has alot of useful info, and zzperformance has the fastest gtp in the US at this point and could help you get setup to whatever hp numbers or speed you could want. Good luck and enjoy the supercharged 3.8, they can be alot of fun.
    2006 AWD Black TBSS
    Tom tuned
    ...Now it's Loose and Loud!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotion View Post
    Steve nailed it on the head, every car is unique. Just because Joe Blow says its ok, doesn't mean yours will run the same. If you are planning on putting a smaller pulley on, whether it be a 3.5 or 3.4 pulley, get the car scanned and see what type of knock retard (KR) you are seeing in stock form. A GTP with a 3.8 pulley with 0 KR will typically be faster than a 3.5 pullied car with 8 degrees of KR, the more KR the more timing that is pulled from the PCM, which in your case would slow you down. Use a supercharger pulley puller, as jeff stated a little heat to losen it up wouldn't be a bad idea, badls1 (tom) can tune the hell out of cars, clubgp has alot of useful info, and zzperformance has the fastest gtp in the US at this point and could help you get setup to whatever hp numbers or speed you could want. Good luck and enjoy the supercharged 3.8, they can be alot of fun.
    Seems with all the info I've learned about modding these engines, I'm looking to do a 3.5'' pulley, headers, downpipe, zzp pcm 180* t-stat and a cai/fwi. I use it as a dd, so I still want it to be streetable.

Thanks for all the good advice and the clubgp suggestion.

Jon

WOW SlowMotion no one could ever say that any better then u jus did. Also GRM-REPR when ur ready to upgrade i have a 4.2 L stroker motor which i think is only the 2 nd one in the states right now up for sale... i drove it with a gen3, stage 3 trans and a full weight four door sunroof car to a 12.5 on pump gas and drove if 90 miles round trip to work and back gettin 28 mpg with it... Also was wondering if u ever bought a pulley??