Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question What stroker kit?

Some of you may have read my other thread (http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36903) and learned that I'm going to rebuild my engine. I'm thinking about building a high compression 331. The reason I want to go to a 331 is because I found that most kits to build a 306 are the same price as a 331 kit. Also to my knowledge the block does not require machining and for a 347 it would. (Trying to save some money, and I don't hear as many people with 331's. I like to do things different.) Am I correct on this? I have been looking at kits from D.S.S, Scat, Eagle, and Probe and maybe one other I can't remember. I will be keeping it NA so I am looking at the kits with cast cranks. What stroker kit(s) do you recommend and why? What features/benefits/advantages do they offer? What is the "safest" compression ratio that can be run with pump gas (93 octane)?

Thanks in advance
    1995 Mustang GT 347

Thanks go out to:
    Jim Galto- Galto Racing Enterprises
    Karl- Massive Speed System
    (Soon to be) Tuned by Marv @ C&M Performance

fordstrokers.com

I've read nothing but good things about them on corral.net. I haven't done a lot of price checking, but they seem pretty good on price. From what I can tell the level of customer service is spectacular. I will be investigating further when I begin my 408.

Just a lil more info: Iron heads? Stick?Cam size? Rear Gear?

With a 11.1 You plan on shifting around 6200-7000?
    Last edited by Sprayaway Fox; 04-28-2009 at 02:22 AM.
    If a hammer,crescent wrench,duct tape, or JB Weld can't fix it........Its gotta be a electrical problem

POW!
    DO NOT USE D.S.S.
    My motor was built by Jim @ Fordstrokers.com I have no complaints. Give him a call and tell him Guy sent you.

Brian Adams at AD Performance.com. I would go with something from Scat or Eagle, Scat cranks do have a little nicer finishing on them. The Scat 9000 cast crank will outlast your stock block.

If you want to go with Probe he sells them also and he will give you the best price and service anywhere. For references you can search around on Corral, his screen name is Eagle. You wont find any complaints. As far as the block machining onthe 347, it can be done at home. It requires a die grinder and an hour of time.

To quote Jay Allen:
    The only reasons to build a 331 is that:
    -You do not know how to fit rings.
    -Your machinist cannot hone a circle.
    -The engine assembler does not understand ring spacers.
    -You run a class that is lbs/cid and this cid fits your car.
    -You want to make less power for the same money.

There is a reason you usually don't see alot of something...
    Something similar usually works better without much or any sacrifice...
    I will never build small cubes again, it now costs the same to build a larger motor... Easier on parts and you dont have to rev the crap out of it or beat it up to make the power you want.

why not just build a 351 and use the money you were gonna use on the internals on heads?

Apples for apples a 347 will outrun a comparably built 351.

POW!
    Quote Originally Posted by badass88gt View Post
    HAHAHA theres a good joke. You bring a built 347 and put it against my built 351w .

I said comparble. Same heads, induction, camshaft, etc. You really think 4 cubic inches will make that much of a difference? How about the added weight of the 9.5" engine over the 8.2"? Something tells me the extra 100# of a 9.5" will far outweigh the extra 4 cubes you would gain. Now, if he were staring from scratch, absolutey run the 351 based setup.

I have a mildly built 347. If I'm ever down there I will gladly take you up on your offer, assuming we're talking apples to apples like I mentioned.

I think what dr doom meant was if you are going to stroke a 302 and make it a 347 he might want to do a 408 or 418 instead. However, if he wants to keep the cost down I would do a 347.

POW!
    I said comparble. Same heads, induction, camshaft, etc. You really think 4 cubic inches will make that much of a difference? How about the added weight of the 9.5" engine over the 8.2"? Something tells me the extra 100# of a 9.5" will far outweigh the extra 4 cubes you would gain. Now, if he were staring from scratch, absolutey run the 351 based setup.

I have a mildly built 347. If I'm ever down there I will gladly take you up on your offer, assuming we're talking apples to apples like I mentioned.

Now youre the one not comparing apples to apples . A 347 is a 302 that is bored and stroked, and if you go with the 351 bored and stroked the same amount, thats a night and day difference. Also why would you put the same heads and intake on a 302 and a 351 based motor? Essentially you would choke the 351.

Quote Originally Posted by dr doom View Post
    DO NOT USE D.S.S.
    My motor was built by Jim @ Fordstrokers.com I have no complaints. Give him a call and tell him Guy sent you.

whats wrong with dss?

how do you figure? a 351 is the same bore size as a 347 wich means that that extra 4 CID is in the stroke which means more power...... stroek a 351 to a 393 or larger and your talking huge torque gains.

i think you should both hit your shit with a 100 shot and rev it to 7K rpm..... then see whos motor is left standing..... my $$ is on the 351
    70 cutlass 442- dads car
    95 stang- Stock long block 195,XXX miles
    03 XC600 - bone stock (still faster then smokin ram)
    03 Polaris predator- 4.250 bore (assembly required)
    84- 4 eyed

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    ^ I will guarantee that 347 stays together with a 100 shot all day long.

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

POW!
    Quote Originally Posted by 70 cutlass 442 View Post
    whats wrong with dss?

how do you figure? a 351 is the same bore size as a 347 wich means that that extra 4 CID is in the stroke which means more power...... stroek a 351 to a 393 or larger and your talking huge torque gains.

i think you should both hit your shit with a 100 shot and rev it to 7K rpm..... then see whos motor is left standing..... my $$ is on the 351
    DSS has lots of complaints, lots of blown up motors. When I was looking for an engine builder the sales person at DSS acted like an A** on the phone. I knew right away my money wasnt gonna be spent there.

POW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy MF'ng Johnson! View Post
    Umm maybe if im over revving my motor to 7k. If i rev it to 5800 or 6k even mine will stay together for a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy MF'ng Johnson! View Post
    302 windsor blocks are much weaker then the 351W blocks.
    70 cutlass 442- dads car
    95 stang- Stock long block 195,XXX miles
    03 XC600 - bone stock (still faster then smokin ram)
    03 Polaris predator- 4.250 bore (assembly required)
    84- 4 eyed

Dr Doom, I'm curious, whats your combo, weight, and stats (HP and ET?)

I'm comparing the 350-ish cube engines to each other. No shit a stroked 9.5 will stomp a stroked 8.2, thats a no-brainer. When comparing the 347cid to the 351cid the 347 will make better power. It is roughly 80-100 pounds lighter that the 351, it has a lighter rotatiing assemble, less rotational mass, and has been proven over and over, I have seen it first hand. Now, like I said, when comparing to a 9.5 stroker, there is no contest.

I love discussions like this. Debates are fun. Arguments suck.
    Last edited by badass88gt; 04-29-2009 at 05:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dr doom View Post
    Also why would you put the same heads and intake on a 302 and a 351 based motor? Essentially you would choke the 351.
    We werent talking about a 302, we were talking about 347. We werent talking about 408, we were talking about 351. Why wouldnt you run the same head on 2 engines that are only 4 cubes different?

No problem. I would take that bet any day of the week. Better yet, lets go with a 300 shot. Thats a little more of a test for mine. Then if that 351 is still running we can add a second stage, lol....then maybe mine will flinch.

302 windsor blocks are much weaker then the 351W blocks.
    He was talking about mine specifically. You are correct about the 302 roller blocks being junk. However, it is argued that the early casting 8.2" blocks are every bit as strong as the early 351 blocks.