Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by badass88gt View Post

No problem. I would take that bet any day of the week. Better yet, lets go with a 300 shot. Thats a little more of a test for mine. Then if that 351 is still running we can add a second stage, lol....then maybe mine will flinch.
    what block do you have? if you are runnign the new boss with a forged bottem end then hands down you will have any facotry block covered..... but if you have a OEM block ten you are on barrowed time no matter what....
    Last edited by 70 cutlass 442; 04-29-2009 at 03:25 AM.
    70 cutlass 442- dads car
    95 stang- Stock long block 195,XXX miles
    03 XC600 - bone stock (still faster then smokin ram)
    03 Polaris predator- 4.250 bore (assembly required)
    84- 4 eyed

POW!
    Quote Originally Posted by badass88gt View Post
    Dr Doom, I'm curious, whats our combo, weight, and stats (HP and ET?)

I'm comparing the 350-ish cube engines to each other. No shit a stroked 9.5 will stopm a stroked 8.2, thats a no-brainer. When comparing the 347cid to the 351cid the 347 will make better power. It is roughly 80-100 pounds lighter that the 351, it has a lighter rotatiing assemble, less rotational mass, and has been proven over and over, I have seen it first hand. Now, like I said, when comparing to a 9.5 stroker, there is no contest.

I love discussions like this. Debates are fun. Arguments suck.
    See you still arent comparing the same two things here. A 347 is a stroked 302. Stroke a 351 the same amount and a 351 is going to be a much better motor. Even with the added weight of the 351 the increase in horsepower is huge. A strong 347 is gonna put down 350ish to the tires. A stroked 351 will be well in the 400 range.

My N/A 347 puts down over 400rwhp, shit it makes 370ftlbs at the tires at 3300rpm.

But nobody mentioned anything about a stroked 351 engine. I was discussing the engines that were mentioned, a 347 and the 351. You need to do a little better research, my 347 puts down 420 at the wheels with unported heads, hydro cam and 93 octane. Your 350hp number is off.

Quote Originally Posted by 70 cutlass 442 View Post
    what block do you have? if you are runnign the new boss with a forged bottem end then hands down you will have any facotry block covered..... but if you have a OEM block ten you are on barrowed time no matter what....

You are correct, though I wouldnt waste my money on a Boss block. I have a Dart in mine, I also have a Moldex billet crank and Carrillo billet rods in it. Some have said it is overkill for a daily driver, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprayaway Fox View Post
    Just a lil more info: Iron heads? Stick?Cam size? Rear Gear?

With a 11.1 You plan on shifting around 6200-7000?
    I have Brodix ST 5.0 heads (http://www.brodix.com/heads/st.html). Manual trans. Have to check on cam specs. 3.73's in the rear.

I don't know what compression ratio I'll be running or where I plan on shifting...
    Quote Originally Posted by folkswagen View Post
    why not just build a 351 and use the money you were gonna use on the internals on heads?
    A 351 is out of the question, I already have the 302 based block and I want to do this on somewhat of a budget. Now that doesn't mean I'm going to go cheap, just not spend unnecessary money. I'm glad you guys are having a great discussion about 347's and 351's but could we get back on topic?

I will definately check out fordstrokers.com and AD Performance.com. I have to say everyone has convinced me to build a 347. I just have a couple questions... Will I be able to use the cam out of my 306? I know this will be a tough one to answer without any cam specs. What are the fuel system requirements? Right now I have a 190 lph pump with 30lb injectors.
    1995 Mustang GT 347

Thanks go out to:
    Jim Galto- Galto Racing Enterprises
    Karl- Massive Speed System
    (Soon to be) Tuned by Marv @ C&M Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Fast95Stang View Post
    I have Brodix ST 5.0 heads (http://www.brodix.com/heads/st.html). Manual trans. Have to check on cam specs. 3.73's in the rear.

I don't know what compression ratio I'll be running or where I plan on shifting...

A 351 is out of the question, I already have the 302 based block and I want to do this on somewhat of a budget. Now that doesn't mean I'm going to go cheap, just not spend unnecessary money. I'm glad you guys are having a great discussion about 347's and 351's but could we get back on topic?

I will definately check out fordstrokers.com and AD Performance.com. I have to say everyone has convinced me to build a 347. I just have a couple questions... Will I be able to use the cam out of my 306? I know this will be a tough one to answer without any cam specs. What are the fuel system requirements? Right now I have a 190 lph pump with 30lb injectors.
    Another vote for AD Performance.com. My motor was not built there, but I ordered everything from them. I have heard nothing about good things about their machine shop.

With your heads, a 347 is a good choice. As for the cam, it is worth it to pony up some more money to look at other cam options.
    Last edited by BOSS LX; 04-29-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS LX View Post
    Another vote for AD Performance.com. My motor was not built there, but I ordered everything from them. I have heard nothing about good things about there machine shop.

With your heads, a 347 is a good choice. As for the cam, it is worth it to pony up some more money to look at other cam options.
    Cool, I will be having my engine built locally but I may order from them.

Any cam recomendations?

Also, I have a brand new Edelbrock Performer intake manifold. I was in the process of putting it on when I found all this crap. Will this manifold work well with a high compression 347? Or will it hold the engine back as far as making power? I plan to have it ported and polished before I put it on, that is if it's the manifold I use.
    1995 Mustang GT 347

Thanks go out to:

Cool, I will be having my engine built locally but I may order from them.

Any cam recomendations?

Also, I have a brand new Edelbrock Performer intake manifold. I was in the process of putting it on when I found all this crap. Will this manifold work well with a high compression 347? Or will it hold the engine back as far as making power? I plan to have it ported and polished before I put it on, that is if it's the manifold I use.
    What happened to your PER 306?

Keep in mind, 302 (306) parts will make 302 power. Keep it under 6500rpm on the roller block. I would try and sell that intake and look for something a little more potent. For compression keep it under 11:1 for 93 octane. The cam upgrade would be a definite benefit. I'm a firm believer in custom grinds spec'd out for your combo, and I'm a loyal Flowtech Induction customer. His cam exceeded all of my "requirements" and his customer service is amazing. Do a search on Ed Curtis FTI around the net, you will find lots of haters, none of them are actual customers of his. I have yet to see anyone unhappy with the performance of his products, and I have asked a few times in my own threads on Corral, lol.

Thumbs up Big Change in Plans

My buddy told me that his co-worker has a 347 on an engine stand that he is willing to sell. He is going to sell it for a VERY good price! I just have to wait for him to break in his new 347 and as long as everything is fine with that one I will be picking up the other one. The engine was built by C&S which I have heard is a great shop. It has 3,000 miles on it, he has all of the receipts and also the dyno sheet. He told me that the engine dyno'ed at 475 through GT-40 heads!! I have Brodix ST-5.0 heads, I can only imagine what that will do for it!!! After I buy the engine I am deffinately taking it to a shop to have it looked over before I put it in my car. I will even have the shop run it to make sure its all OK.

What fuel system should I run? Right now I have a 190lph pump and 30# injectors.
    1995 Mustang GT 347

Thanks go out to:

Hi Greg why do you think that you need a new motor? Have you done any testing to see what could have gone bad? I cannot remember where I saw it but I think that you said that there was oil in the intake. One last question where you running valve caver breathers and the PCV system?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by dr doom View Post
    HAHAHA theres a good joke. You bring a built 347 and put it against my built 351w .

How about 281" with a little boost ???

I had to post this response to this that was on MMA

Quote Originally Posted by 67 Notch View Post
    I thought I knew how to waste money.......I could learn something here.:alc:
    Properly diagnose and fix what you have. If you're worried about it being contaminated-take it apart and clean it. If you're worried about blow-by or using oil, prove it. Don't go overboard and blow a bunch of cash just because-you're not going to to come out ahead in this situation.

The engine was built by C&S which I have heard is a great shop. It has 3,000 miles on it, he has all of the receipts and also the dyno sheet. He told me that the engine dyno'ed at 475 through GT-40 heads!!
    475 HP with GT40 heads N/A? That seems a little steep to me, but I could maybe see that with your Brodix heads.

I would maybe look at just doing your own thing, something new since you only need a short block. Probe/JE/Ross pistons, Eagle 4340 crank, Eagle 4340 H-beam rods and call it a day! Eagle stuff is great, and has proven that it can handle over 1000hp and revs up to 8000rpm with just 4340 stuff. In my opinion I wouldn't try and cut corners now, who knows what you will want to do in the future, and it will be nice to have a little extra insurance. I know you still have a stock block and it will mostly be you limiting factor, but I would still go with the 4340 stuff.
    Last edited by FourEyedFord; 05-07-2009 at 08:31 PM.

475 flywheel hp no problem. 475 at the wheels, no way in hell.

I agree with the 4340 stuff if the budget allows it. If not, theres certainly nothing wrong with the Scat 9000 cranks.

I still think that there is nothing wrong with the old motor. But if you wont a new motor than never mined.

You are probably correct. I'm sure its fine.

Quote Originally Posted by DRK View Post
    I had to post this response to this that was on MMA
    Maybe now this thread will die instantly like when I posted it on MMA.

Mixed Martial Arts? Mercury Mountaineers Anonymous?