Senior Member..now yer posting!

2002 f 350 oil pan leaking ?'s

How much $ is it to do this repair? I read you have to remove the engine to replace the pan(brillant set up). I heard anywhere from 900-3000$.

Is there any way ford could help pay for this repair seeing in how the truck as 60k miles on it, probably seen the snow 20 times and obvioulsy faulty metal was used, or improper paint on the pan? .

Any ford guru's can Help me out here.

thanks.

jake

1900$= they have to lift the cab off and take out the motor.

damn it.

really common and yea not cheap
    -Kyle

2006 F350 6.0 CCLB DRW Lariat
    Gearhead, Holders Diesel, Retro Solutions, Pure Diesel Power, Screamin Eagle, Spyder Industries, Recon, Dirty Diesels
    KCCO!

Is the pan rusted thru or is the dipstick adapter housing
    leaking on the pass side?

The hardest powerstoked chassis to do is the E-350 van.
    Takes me anywhere from 16-18hrs time to do it "in" the
    chassis, figure $100hr at a dealer or major shop.

I could make a full time living doing those pans for bus
    companies (every bus you see uses the 444ci motor) and
    private owners but I havent got time to fix my own junk.
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

Bob the Builder says: 88Nightmare's Avatar
    I thought a lot of buses use the DT466?

Nevertheless, my neighbor has a 1999 Powerstroke with over 250k miles on it and his very close to rusting through. He is a pretty handy guy and ALWAYS does his own work. He plans to cut the front 4x4 cross member and drop the pan down that way, replace the pan, then reweld his crossmember. He is a great welder. I watched him cut and stretch the frame on his straight-truck.
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    All democrats like to work on wood, zing!
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take from those willing to work and give to those that are not - Thomas Jefferson
    2008 Yamaha FZ6
    2005 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 88Nightmare View Post
    I thought a lot of buses use the DT466?

They International chassis buss' started out with the 360ci
    mech inj motor, later the 466 mech and then before the
    DT466E they went to the 444 (7.3 Powerjoke). That was
    the main stay until the newer 6.0 headgasket popper came
    along. Good motors for what they do, each series had its
    issues but nothing that cant be fixxed easily.

Im a welder as well, been there done that its easier to do
    it with nuts and bolts than weld stuff in close proximity to
    a LOT of wires and tight spaces in my drunk opinion.
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

how much u lookin to spend to replace it?
    2002 dodge cummins - mechanically injected, stupid built.. never ending project
    2013 Toyota Tacoma - crewcab, v6, 6 spd, 4wd, TRD package

let me know what year it is, at or mt, 4 or 2wd. and is the $1900 parts included?? I can save you some money and do it cheaper then $1900. I can do it over a weekend at my shop in Genesee (far west side of Waukesha)

i heard about the cutting and welding the crossmember deal.

i talked to a guy at work, sure enough his sister in law has a excursion and it is leaking, and then i called a local diesel shop and they had a guy call up the other day about a quote(2500$) for doing it.

smokinram- it is a automatic and 4x4. do you cut the crossmember? I live in wausau. (used to live in new berlin). kind of hard to tow the truck that far seeing that is the truck you use for towing. haha.

thanks anyways though.

no i would pull the motor. but could cut the crossmember but why do tha if u dont have to. that sucks your so far away.

ya thanks anyways though.

i will post back when it is all fixed up, hopefully by the end of the month.

i used to work for international and i will tell you it can be done in chassis but i wouldnt recommend it. most busses pre 04 used the 444 or 7.3, not too many buses use the 466. i have personally seen guys redo the pan leak 5 times because they did it in chassis. the main problem is they dont have a gasket they actually use grey sillicon around the whole surface and if it is not completely DRY it will not seal. that being said if you do it in chassis i would let it sit with the pan off for a couple of days before re gluing it up. also getting it off is a pretty big pita because the sealant is like cement. so i would probably recommend pulling the engine out flipping it unside down and doing it that way.

I went through the same thing with my 1996 PSD, but being that it is an old body style truck, I pulled the motor right out with a standard engine lift.

Russ Jerome on here told me that using a propane torch to heat up the grey silicone is the best way to get it off. It worked like a charm! Instead of the grey silicone from International, we used the easy cheese canned gasket maker stuff from permatex, too. So far it has worked great, and the pan is dry as a bone!
    Last edited by FourEyedFord; 05-05-2009 at 01:23 PM.

thanks for the info guys.

ford shop tells my father in law that the wastegate nipple "corroaded" and they want 1400$ for a new turbo.

They are searching for a aftermarket one. I will keep you updated.

These kind of repairs at this mileage(or any mileage really) is just unreal. I thought elsewise about these motors until now.

Wish us luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jakedrew View Post
    ford shop tells my father in law that the wastegate nipple "corroaded" and they want 1400$ for a new turbo.

They are searching for a aftermarket one. I will keep you updated.

These kind of repairs at this mileage(or any mileage really) is just unreal. I thought elsewise about these motors until now.

Wish us luck.
    could be worse. just had a customer with an 03 6.0 that needed headgaskets, oil cooler, egr cooler, and turbo center section .

they found a used one for 200$.

you are right, it could be worse.

but still, unreal to hear of these issues. When you think of diesels you think of them at 200k miles and going strong.

with this truck , and my every common problem 04 explorer xlt, i probably will never buy another ford product. but i will not get into them topics. both nice vehicles, but i had more then then my share of issues with the explorer. I am impressed though on how ford took care of me on the explorer.

reason i went with the OBS 292k and counting on the original motor and trans

sorry that truck is causing so many issues for ya hopefully get it takin care of and it has some life left
    -Kyle

2006 F350 6.0 CCLB DRW Lariat
    Gearhead, Holders Diesel, Retro Solutions, Pure Diesel Power, Screamin Eagle, Spyder Industries, Recon, Dirty Diesels
    KCCO!