Question 2002 F150 engine noise went 1st starts.

I have a 2002 Ford 150 4X4 with the 5.4 in it. It run great and this is my first modular motor, but when it 1st starts there is a noise like a bad lifter. When it warms up it goes away but it drives me nuts. My question is do these motor make noise at start up or do I have a problem. The noise goes away in a few minutes but I don't like it. Any info or suggestions.

Thanks Swags63

check your exhaust manifolds. i am guessing that they are rusting out and that is what you are hearing until they warm up. very common on the 2 valves. it will get worse and eventually the ticking will not go away, and your check engine light will stay on.

the f150s had problems with the lash adjusters among other things. but that could be the noise youre hearing.
    96 Mustang-the race car
    95 Chevy 1500-the fast truck
    96 Ranger SBC-the mud truck.

^^^
    yeah there are a lot of things that it could be. the lash adjuster noise should be heard even when warm though. the thing will sound like a diesel chugging at idle.

the 5.4 is a generally ticky motor.

Quote Originally Posted by 07ROUSHSTG3 View Post
    ^^^
    yeah there are a lot of things that it could be. the lash adjuster noise should be heard even when warm though. the thing will sound like a diesel chugging at idle.

the 5.4 is a generally ticky motor.

Has this truck recently had an oil change? Possibly a bad anti-drain back valve in the oil filter?

I worked on a 5.4l that locked up the left heads' cam. It ran and drove, like shitty, but it did run and drive. I had the front of the motor all tore down to do timing chains (what I figured the problem to be.) It was my boss's truck. He was pissssed when I started spinning the cam gear and shouting WHEEL OF FORTUNE!!!!! Good times, good times.

Your sparkplugs tight? Mine had what sounded like a lifter tick before the one blow out.
    Jamie

01 F150 Screw 5.4 4x4 99 VW Jetta 64 Olds Cutlass
    83 Cutlass Gbody Wagon 85 Suzuki GS700ES needs some new parts now