Senior Member..now yer posting!

Dyno tune a non-EFI?

I have a car that is carbed(Q-jet) and has no electronic sensors. What would be able to be gained by dyno tuning? Can you sniff test exhaust for correct mixture or detect preignition without a knock sensor? I want to have a more accurate way to tune the carb and timing than by reading plugs and listening for ping. Would it be easier if I installed an O2 sensor and knock sensor? Mike

Quote Originally Posted by indyzmike View Post
    I have a car that is carbed(Q-jet) and has no electronic sensors. What would be able to be gained by dyno tuning? Can you sniff test exhaust for correct mixture or detect preignition without a knock sensor? I want to have a more accurate way to tune the carb and timing than by reading plugs and listening for ping. Would it be easier if I installed an O2 sensor and knock sensor? Mike
    You should Call Brad and talk with him direct about it (262 692-9035), hes the Carb guru.

But yeah a wide band o2 sensor can be installed in the exhaust to tell where the AFR is at during operation vs reading plugs. The knock sensor would be a cool idea too.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    Thanks!

Post whore
    Get some jets a couple sets of plugs. A timing light to get that little extra and your set. Plugs tell you alot about what each cyc is doing by itself. Carb cars will almost always have a flat spot in the power curve. A wide band won't hurt but to me and how I was taught it's what the plugs look like. Just my opinion.