Senior Member..now yer posting!

1998 Grand prix GTP trans issues

I have the chance to pick up a 98 gtp cheap but the trans doesnt shift into 3rd gear. Does anyone know if these cars are common for tranny issues? Ive herd it could be anything from a simple selonid to a trans rebuild any thoughts would be appreciated.
    1985 MONTE CARLO SS
    2 Chevrolet 1 Pontiac 2 Oldsmobiles

<div class="imlinks"> <div class="popupmenu vehicleaction"> <a class="popupctrl" href="#"><strong>Vehicles</strong></a> <ul class="popupbody popuphover vehicleaction_body"> <li class="left"><a href="http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/garage_ve
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgandy85SS View Post
    I have the chance to pick up a 98 gtp cheap but the trans doesnt shift into 3rd gear. Does anyone know if these cars are common for tranny issues? Ive herd it could be anything from a simple selonid to a trans rebuild any thoughts would be appreciated.
    I bought my 1999 gtp used from someone local and in 200 miles it spit the trans. These cars are known for bad trannies.
    2002 Trans AM Ws6 M6 Black on Black. Procharged
    2011 GMC Sierra All Terrain
    2009 Infiniti G37x

if they're modded at all, the trans will go. usually though by 100k, they have something go wrong
    "A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    ok here is what i was told about it It shifts 1 2 then skips 3rd right into 4th and she says the fluid smells a little burnt. She also says the rpm never really goes high and drove it home from greenbay when it started doing this. Prob take it for a drive and see how bad it is.
    1985 MONTE CARLO SS
    2 Chevrolet 1 Pontiac 2 Oldsmobiles

absolutely no problems with my old GTX that now has 140k on it. I put a trans cooler on it the first couple months I got it. I always lift off the gas to left the car shift when normal driving.
    -Andy
    PS3, Xbox 360, & Steam tag: Cryptic78

"(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)

I broke the crap out of my 4t65e

sheared the tension pin on the pinion in the diff, stretched the bands, burned the clutches, and eventually killed it when it broke both chains and sent them through the gears into the pan.

luckily they are cheapish and easy to replace

Ya there known 4 bad trannies,I've gone through 3 and now possibly a 4th. I've sheered of pins on relucter wheel. Broken input shafts,snapped chains. Burnt up clutches, etc. And their not the cheapest to rebuild either,and most of the stuff that broke was aftermarket, go with zzp trans and put ceramic clutches in and u should b fine .
    It's only a v6, officer

hmm, thanks for the 30 days later reply... not to mention not really adding anything to the thread
    "A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

habitual line-stepper Mr. Brett's Avatar

He's a fucking idiot.