Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Rider - First Bike?

I've been on a few motorcycle forums reading up on what a new rider should know and their first bike. It always seems to come down to "a 250cc is fine, anything more and you will kill yourself" vs. "I started with a gsxr1000 and I'm doing just fine, it's all about control."

So my question is, what would you buy for a first bike? I am looking for a sport bike. A lot of people are saying the '08 Kawasaki Ninja 250 is a perfect starter bike but I'm concerned I'd get bored with it relatively fast (500 instead?). At the same time, I don't think I want a 100 hp bike (GSXR600+, CBR600+).

Another thing I read is weight. The faster bikes are about 100 lbs. bigger and thus are harder to ride on for first riders. Is this true? I'm 5'9" 155 lbs. so how much more difficult is a 400+ pound bike vs. a 300+ pound bike?

Thoughts? Opinions?
    Daily Driver: 2009 Camry
    Weekend Car: 2006 Corvette

Everyone has their opinions on this subject. For a first bike, I would suggest a midsize ( 600cc ) sportbike. Take a riders safety course and get use to riding on their bikes if they let you use one. ( The one they use to give here in Port used Rebel 250's I believe.) You being 155lbs. should easily be able to handle the weight of a 600 once you get use to being on a bike. My first street bike in highschool was a FZR600 and I was about your size or even a bit lighter. My opinion is exactly what you already stated, and that is you would quickly get bored with a 250 and want to upgrade right away. Remember, the bike only goes as fast and as quick as you want it to.

MSF first, then 600cc and lots of good gear is what I'm doing. I've ridden other stuff, just not a road bike, and everyone says a 250 is only good for 2 months max. I'll let you know if it was a mistake!!

My first bike was a 93 F2 (600). I'm about 5'10/160lbs and it was just fine. The older bikes are a little heavier but when you're riding it's no issue. Just don't let it fall over on ya. Had a early 90s Katana tip over on me and it was hell to try to get it back up by myself.

Like everyones said, MSF first, but then I'd go ahead with a 600 and I'd say you should be fine.
    98 Ranger 4.0 5spd 4x4 Ext Cab
    02 TLR

Whats up Brian?

I'm still content with my vtr250. In fact there's a saying that states it's funner to ride a slow bike fast then a fast bike slow-- and I really believe theres some truth to that. I've riden the new ninja 250r and was pretty impressed. Honestly, as long as it's under a liter I think you'll be fine. If you need any pointers or help checking out a bike i'm four houses away(and no this isn't paul!) Take care man.

I agree with everybody with taking the riders course, and then buying something like a 600 (if you want a sport bike at all) You will get bored of a 250 or 500 very quickly if you are intending on getting a 600+ later. If you are content with something like that however, which there is nothing wrong with that, that will be fine for you. Otherwise any cruiser or standard type would be fine too, but weigh a lot more.
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

I went with a sv650 for my first and it was very manageable but still had alot of fun with it. Its like anything you'll always want something bigger badder and faster eventually. For the price I dont think u can go wrong with the sporty little suzuki v-twin
    -Patrick

I r teh have da kewl now cuz of that ^^^^^^

"It's not a racecar if it drives to the track and goes home on a flatbed apparently"

Quote Originally Posted by loud91rs View Post
    I agree with everybody with taking the riders course, and then buying something like a 600 (if you want a sport bike at all) You will get bored of a 250 or 500 very quickly if you are intending on getting a 600+ later. If you are content with something like that however, which there is nothing wrong with that, that will be fine for you. Otherwise any cruiser or standard type would be fine too, but weigh a lot more.

Yeah I agree with you, sometimes I wish I would have went big right off the bat, but $100 a year for full coverage insurance, a dohc liquid cooled 250 with a six speed trans, and $6 a week in gas (70-80mpg) really keep me interested in the honda. Eventually, I'll get a larger bike... But i't wont be a priority for some time (I've got a lot of money I still have to spend on my projects, daily, school, and eventually a house)

my first bike was a CBR 600...........i crashed it less than 2 miles from where I bought it, LOL!

What kinda riding do you plan on doing? Get an SV650 if you plan on putting on some miles, or a gsxr 600 if you plan on bombing around town with the locals. I really miss my TL1000, super comfortable bike that I could ride to indiana and back w/o a sore back and it had a ton of torque for bombing around town.
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

Oh yea, I upgraded to a GSXR 1000 and loved it for a week, but became bored with it real fast since you can't use half of the power on the street anyways. A 1000cc litre bike is just plain dumb unless you plan on doing track days.
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    Oh yea, I upgraded to a GSXR 1000 and loved it for a week, but became bored with it real fast since you can't use half of the power on the street anyways. A 1000cc litre bike is just plain dumb unless you plan on doing track days.
    "it's funner to ride a slow bike fast then a fast bike slow"

Also, not to threadjack, but pOrk did you get my pm??

Breecher_7
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    This is very true Eric. But I will still always tell people to buy a 1000cc bike from the get go. You will never outgrow it and as long as you respect it, its no different then a 250. Other then the fact that it will ride better.....

250, 500, 600, 750, 1000+ its all in the throttle.

But as far as a 1000cc being useless on the street, thats an understatment, for most there worthless on a track as well. It takes some big balls and the willingness to fuck yourself up to push those bikes. Ive wrecked 10+ times on the track due to my own stupidity in the last 10 years. You start to disrespect that bike and take advantage of it, it will whoop your ass...

Just remember, if you dont wreck it, your not riding it hard enough! You have to find your and the bikes limits! Only one way to do that, You will know when you found it when your sliding across the asphalt!!!

Post whore
    I think a used 600 is perfect, maybe in the 95-00 range. They have enough power that you won't get bored but are manageable. A 1000 to start on, no way. My 10 year old r6 wheelies in 1st just going wot. I don't think you need to be learning on a bike that will power up the wheel in 2nd or 3rd, lol. sure you don't have to use the power but any guy that rides for 100 miles and "got the hang of it" will want to see what it has, thats where you get into trouble.
    2005 DSOM Corvette, Z51, M6, Z06 Mufflers

The T3/T4eclipse broke 2much:P BigSnailBuick's Avatar
    I dont think you need to be concerned with the weight of any sportbike cept maybe a busa or zx-14...I learned how to ride round my neighborhood on a harley bagger lol so the first time i rode my buddies 600rr it felt like a plastic toy
    "Plus my rats come in packs like Sammy and Dean Martin, and I got soo many keys you'd think I was Valet parking"
    1987 Buick Regal Turbo T Limited- DBB 6766, ProEFI, E-85.
    2000 Audi S4- Nogaro Blue w/ matching interior! Chipped and a maintenance nightmare.

SNATCH A KISS ORVICEVERSA Junky Giorgio's Avatar
    I'd stay away from the old school carburetor bikes. Go with something fuel injected which I believe just started around 2001 in the sport bike scene.

Just a fyi, my '02 Suzuki GSX-R600 is still for sale
    TRIUMPH DAYTONA 675 TRIPLE
    Quote Originally Posted by murdoc158 View Post
    Thanks to YellowWagon for the pics and JunkGSX for the ladies.
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamZ
    Junk maybe gone, but Tony is Junky Giorgio forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by domokun View Post
    junk, your junking my thread.

600 is best, my first bike was a YZF600 plenty of power, easy handling, good ride and I am a bigger guy so it worked great for me. I would definately start with a sport bike.
    Claimsman

Post whore
    Quote Originally Posted by Junky Giorgio View Post
    I'd stay away from the old school carburetor bikes. Go with something fuel injected which I believe just started around 2001 in the sport bike scene.

Just a fyi, my '02 Suzuki GSX-R600 is still for sale
    Haha, carbs work just fine. My bike starts within 2 seconds weather its 40 or 100 degrees. If it doesn't, there is some thing wrong with it.
    2005 DSOM Corvette, Z51, M6, Z06 Mufflers

SNATCH A KISS ORVICEVERSA Junky Giorgio's Avatar
    Yes carb bikes run just fine, but tend to need more tedious maintenance than a fuel injected bike. Trust me I know, I've raced CBR600 F2's/F3's etc. My very 1st bike was actually a '91 Yamaha FZR 600 that was pearl white/red. I had it my senior year in high school. After that, I moved onto Honda's F2's and F3's which I had a few of.
    TRIUMPH DAYTONA 675 TRIPLE
    Quote Originally Posted by murdoc158 View Post
    Thanks to YellowWagon for the pics and JunkGSX for the ladies.
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamZ
    Junk maybe gone, but Tony is Junky Giorgio forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by domokun View Post
    junk, your junking my thread.