Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    A 1000cc litre bike is just plain dumb unless you plan on doing track days.
    Eat schit.

Quote Originally Posted by SSLEVO View Post
    Haha, carbs work just fine. My bike starts within 2 seconds weather its 40 or 100 degrees. If it doesn't, there is some thing wrong with it.

^^This. I parked my bike November fourth. Half a tank of "bad" reformulated gas, no battery tender, no stabil in the gas. Nothing. Just a blanket over it. Weekend before last, I went to move it to work on the car; decided to fire it up. Put the petcock on prime four a few seconds, set the choke, and spun it for about ten seconds. Fired right up.

EFI is better than carbs, but good carbs, well tuned, work fine.

i'm thinking bout selling my gsxr as well its served me well its my second bike the first gsxr i bought from pork. I learned to ride on a 4" dropped bike and wasn't too bad being i'm 240 lbs and all. i love the way this one rides but if i can sell it i'll let it go
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner

^ The diesel GSXR was awesome
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

Is it true that bike prices go up considerably when it gets warm outside? Guy at dealer today said they raise 500-700 by May. Is this BS or is there actual truth to this?
    Daily Driver: 2009 Camry
    Weekend Car: 2006 Corvette

The prices are already at spring prices. Usually they dont go up, but almost every price is firm now. At road track and trail, you won't get a single cent off the prices. So, I guess you could concider they are $500 more then winter time.

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    Sorry, thought this said KNIGHT RIDER,I came in to pick on Joesepy

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

Quote Originally Posted by VroomPshhTsi View Post
    Is it true that bike prices go up considerably when it gets warm outside? Guy at dealer today said they raise 500-700 by May. Is this BS or is there actual truth to this?

Yeah, they usually have some kick a$$ deals at dealerships starting labor day and lasting until spring. Buy a bike already and lets go riding!!

Quote Originally Posted by moels View Post
    Everyone has their opinions on this subject. For a first bike, I would suggest a midsize ( 600cc ) sportbike. Take a riders safety course and get use to riding on their bikes if they let you use one. You being 155lbs. should easily be able to handle the weight of a 600 once you get use to being on a bike... My opinion is exactly what you already stated, and that is you would quickly get bored with a 250 and want to upgrade right away. Remember, the bike only goes as fast and as quick as you want it to.
    I completely agree. My first "street" bike was a FZ1000S (2001), but I am 6'1 and 260lb. So for you, I would suggest a nice 600. The great thing is they don't make any "dangerous" power until they rev past 8K and you shouldn't "accidentally" rev a bike that high while learning.

Always wear a helmet, jacket and boots! No matter how good you are things have a tendency to bounce off of you. I had a goose hit me in the shoulder and "explode" in my lap. I was 1 mile from my home going for gas. I was doing the speed limit. Helmet and jacket saved my life!

My first bike is my 07 Sportster.

It's reliable, easy to ride, cheap to buy, very good on fuel and cheap to maintain.

BTW- the dealers will let you test ride them!

Also, it's the best selling bike in the US for a reason.
    When Injustice Becomes Law; Rebellion Becomes Duty

Chicago Cycle is selling 2008 R6's for 5999, brand new
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

Thanks for the info so far.

My budget is between $2-3 grand. Here is a list of bikes I'm looking at.

2 Cylinders
    Suzuki GS500F
    Suzuki SV650S
    Kawasaki Ninja 500R, 650R

Older (mid 90s) - 4 Cyl
    Suzuki Katana 600
    Honda CBR 600

Thanks for the info so far.

My budget is between $2-3 grand. Here is a list of bikes I'm looking at.

2 Cylinders
    Suzuki GS500F
    Suzuki SV650S
    Kawasaki Ninja 500R, 650R

Older (mid 90s) - 4 Cyl
    Suzuki Katana 600
    Honda CBR 600
    From those I would pick the CBR, but thats just me. F3 is a nice bike for the price.

How tall are you?
    When Injustice Becomes Law; Rebellion Becomes Duty

Quote Originally Posted by al View Post
    how tall are you?
    5'9"

SV650S...

1.) Plenty of power and torque for a first bike and a guy your size.

2.) Nice clean bikes are out there for $3500 and if you look hard enough I think you can get a cherry bike for $3K.

3.) If you keep the thing in the first 3/4 of the power band it would be real "streetable" for a rookie.

4.) You can beat the piss out of a Suzuki and it will run forever.

5.) This bike is nimble and fun as hell. I took my fat-ass for a ride on one (260lb) and I was impressed and had a blast!

From my personal experience having been a new rider 1 year ago.

1) Take the MSF course. Depending on how easily you pick things up make a decision on what sort of bike you want for a first one.

2) If you pick things up fast and are confident then get the bike you want as oppossed to the starter bike everyone thinks you should have.

3) If you crash the new bike it is your own damn fault for being stupid. The bike will only go as fast as you want it to. If you crash it because you accidentally 'blip' the throttle too much on a litre bike then guess you should have gotten a Harley!

Seriously though, take the MSF course and then make a decision. I started with an XL1200N and it was a near perfect bike to start off with, though if I would have done it over I would have started with a VROD. I picked up riding VERY fast at the MSF course so I might be a different case.

Notice the bike in my SIG....not a sportster but a Street Glide. I'm 5'6" and the FLHX is fine for me even though I've only ridden for a year so that is proof that there is no single rule for new riders. Make sure you continuously practice what they teach you in the MSF course. I take my FLHX to parking lots occasionally and practice panic stops and tight turns.

Also, people are not lying to you when they say that you should keep your head on a swivel when riding. You have to be extra alert when on the bike because any small mistake by you or someone else could be the end of you. Having said that don't be scared, that is the one thing that will kill you.

I've had two close calls in my 1 year of riding. First one was a panic stop and my rear locked up but luckily I had distance between me and the car in front (very important). The second was my own damn fault for zoning out early in the morning.....
    Last edited by Fast SVT; 04-15-2009 at 03:56 AM.

HD 103" Kit/SE 255 Cams/D&D 2-1 Fat Cat Exhaust/SE Heavy Breather/Arnott Aldan Air Ride/Front Lowering Springs/HD Reaper Wheels

^ well said

Money Comes and Money Goes,
    But Rat Fink is Forever
    "There isn't a man living who isn't capable of doing more than he thinks he can." Henry Ford

ANOTHER VOTE SV550S! I had the SV650 for a year for my first bike and then went to a SV1000. I am 6'4" and 300+ and I still miss the lil SV for cruising around. real comfortable, good milage and usable power, plus mine sounded awesome with the full FMF titanium system
    -Patrick

I r teh have da kewl now cuz of that ^^^^^^

"It's not a racecar if it drives to the track and goes home on a flatbed apparently"

What places around the New Berlin area are best for gear? I'm looking for a nice riding jacket, nothing super fancy just a plain leather one. I stopped by Road Track And Trail but their selection was pretty small.

What places around the New Berlin area are best for gear? I'm looking for a nice riding jacket, nothing super fancy just a plain leather one. I stopped by Road Track And Trail but their selection was pretty small.

buy a bike first

(interweb, Motorsports factory, that leather outlet off of Calhoun (mainly Harley leather though,) All Pro, Don and Roys, Sportland 2, etc.)

Money Comes and Money Goes,
    But Rat Fink is Forever
    "There isn't a man living who isn't capable of doing more than he thinks he can." Henry Ford