Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2006 roadking custom. KF 9000 Champion 0TransAm0's Avatar

ls1 ported heads?

is this worth it? what type of gains would i see with these?

i currently have ls6 intake full exhaust(LT's-ORY-magnaflow catback)
    and a 224-581-112lsa cam (with all supporting mods. pushrods,springs, ls6 oil pump etc..)

would these even make a decent gain? or would i be better off saveing for some bigger better heads?

oh yeah these are what im talking about.http://http://www.sdparts.com/produc...nderHeads.aspx

thanks in advance

and no mater what i do i can;t get the link to work for me WTF?

let try this one..its post #5 the gtp ported heads
    http://http://www.ls1tech.com/forums...in-dickey.html
    Last edited by 0TransAm0; 02-15-2009 at 07:41 PM.

let me know if those links work for you guys... for me it keeps saying link is broken...wtf.

Not bad.. Those flow pretty well for the price.

thanks jeeperz not sure what i was doing wrong but thanks..

These here heads are similiar to whats on the 9.82 world record holder stock bottom end n/a LS1... A set of heads that can flow anywhere near 300cfm and an owner not affraid of some compression will deff like the gains to be had.

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=134&catid=40
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

Quote Originally Posted by BAD LS1 View Post
    These here heads are similiar to whats on the 9.82 world record holder stock bottom end n/a LS1... A set of heads that can flow anywhere near 300cfm and an owner not affraid of some compression will deff like the gains to be had.

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=134&catid=40

whats to be affraid off? with my tax returns i could get the ones you posted ..my only thing is my car is a DD and i don't want to lose to much driveability..

would i be able to just swap mine out for these and then get a tune? what kind of gain are we talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by 0TransAm0 View Post
    whats to be affraid off? with my tax returns i could get the ones you posted ..my only thing is my car is a DD and i don't want to lose to much driveability..

would i be able to just swap mine out for these and then get a tune? what kind of gain are we talking about?
    Anything north of 10.5:1 is desirable w/o PTC clearance issues, as close to 11.0:1 is best and can still be just fine on pump gas. The higher cr takes full advantage of the increase in flow by packing more in and squeezing it harder.

Being you have an auto, it wont see the same #s as a 6 speed but that combo can regularly hit 430-440, the cam may hold it back some, but only a few hp vs a 228 or 232.

Id reccomend the stage 2.5 5.3L heads they offer for the CR im talking about. I run them on my turbo motor and granted i drove it all of 5 miles so far, they feel great even down low.

Danielle... times change. Poncho's Avatar
    me wants ported LS3 heads.....

Breecher_7
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncho View Post
    me wants ported LS3 heads.....
    THought you were done modding your car?

Danielle... times change. Poncho's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Breecher_7 View Post
    THought you were done modding your car?
    oh yea.... nevermind. though a stock-ish cam with those heads would be nice. Maybe I could score better than 20.6mpg on the freeway

Anything north of 10.5:1 is desirable w/o PTC clearance issues, as close to 11.0:1 is best and can still be just fine on pump gas. The higher cr takes full advantage of the increase in flow by packing more in and squeezing it harder.

Being you have an auto, it wont see the same #s as a 6 speed but that combo can regularly hit 430-440, the cam may hold it back some, but only a few hp vs a 228 or 232.

Id reccomend the stage 2.5 5.3L heads they offer for the CR im talking about. I run them on my turbo motor and granted i drove it all of 5 miles so far, they feel great even down low.

so the ones you posted a link to would be basically just a swap out the stockers for these? i just want to make sure i know what im getting myself into and don't want to find out that after i purchase the heads i need to do all kinds of other things to get them to fit/work...

and one other thing could i drive it after i put them in without a tune? or is that a must do b4 it moves?

I used to run a tr224 with some unmilled cnc'd 5.3 heads. Great performance for the money, picked up 42 rwhp (6 mph)from just the head swap and a tune. Unfortunately because of the crappy job the now defunct forced fed hp did assembling them, they only lasted ~15k miles.

One thing you may want to consider is some roller tip rockers as some people have had problems with bronze valve guide wear using the stock rockers.
    '94 6 liter 7 sold!
    '04 evo rs
    ml55 amg

so the ones you posted a link to would be basically just a swap out the stockers for these? i just want to make sure i know what im getting myself into and don't want to find out that after i purchase the heads i need to do all kinds of other things to get them to fit/work...

and one other thing could i drive it after i put them in without a tune? or is that a must do b4 it moves?
    Yep direct swap. And yes it will run after heads, they dont affect it like a cam does.

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    If you are going to take out the heads, ypou might as well match it with a cam package (Springs, seats, seals, retainers, and gaskets). SInce you are already there, it would limit your cost of doing things twice. Plus, you would only have to tune it once. For aftermarket heads, I would go with AFR 205. If that is not in your budget, look at LS6 heads. It is not that the LS1 heads are bad because they are not. Just looking at maximizing performance.

tom just a heads up i orderd just about everything we talked about. i should have everything needed by the end of next month..i just need to know what gaskets to get and if im going to need new head bolts...

tom just a heads up i orderd just about everything we talked about. i should have everything needed by the end of next month..i just need to know what gaskets to get and if im going to need new head bolts...
    OK.

Qty 2- 12589226 GM MLS head gaskets for the 5.7L

Qty 2- 12498545 GM head bolt kit (1 per side)

Qty 2- 12617944 Exhaust manifold gaskets

OK.

Qty 2- 12589226 GM MLS head gaskets for the 5.7L

Qty 2- 12498545 GM head bolt kit (1 per side)

Qty 2- 12617944 Exhaust manifold gaskets

got those ordered thanks.

do i need new valve cover gaskets if the new covers do not come with them?

thanks again
    Mike
    Last edited by 0TransAm0; 02-21-2009 at 07:03 PM.

ok now everything is ordered except the heads.. got wait till next friday and i get payed then we will be in buisness...

got those ordered thanks.

do i need new valve cover gaskets if the new covers do not come with them?

thanks again
    Mike
    NEW covers will have them. If your careful you can reuse them in most cases. Qty 2 Part # 12612045 valve cover gaskets 99+