Buying stripped AR15 and AR10 lowers

So I was out at the Rocco gun show last weekend and saw a bunch of AR15 lowers for sale. It was then I realized that "hey... I should buy a few lowers" because if an AW ban goes through I'll already have the FFL piece and I can always build the rest of the gun(s) with a parts kit. I ended up chickening out though because I don't know enough about ARs and how they fit together. Basically I'm wondering is there anything to know when doing this? I'd like to pick up a 7.62x51 AR10 lower and another one or two 5.56 lowers. They ranged in price from about $150 to $200. So with the .308 stripped lowers especially, is there anything I should know about before I look for one (parts incompatibilities, etc...)? I'm probably going to try to build the AR10 lower into an M110 clone... but we'll see. HK is supposed to be releasing their MR556 and MR762 later on this year. I'd really like one, but it's starting to sound like they may come in at $3500... which will probably be a no go for me.

<div class="imlinks"> <div class="popupmenu vehicleaction"> <a class="popupctrl" href="#"><strong>Vehicles</strong></a> <ul class="popupbody popuphover vehicleaction_body"> <li class="left"><a href="http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/garage_ve
    PM coops brother
    2002 Trans AM Ws6 M6 Black on Black. Procharged
    2011 GMC Sierra All Terrain
    2009 Infiniti G37x

Breecher_7
    As far as .308 lowers go, look for DPMS pieces. The seem to make the best .308 systems I have found.

Next time you head out to the gun shows let me know, ill go with you.

Senior Member..now yer posting! 73Dustr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ND4SPD View Post
    So I was out at the Rocco gun show last weekend and saw a bunch of AR15 lowers for sale. It was then I realized that "hey... I should buy a few lowers" because if an AW ban goes through I'll already have the FFL piece and I can always build the rest of the gun(s) with a parts kit. I ended up chickening out though because I don't know enough about ARs and how they fit together. Basically I'm wondering is there anything to know when doing this? I'd like to pick up a 7.62x51 AR10 lower and another one or two 5.56 lowers. They ranged in price from about $150 to $200. So with the .308 stripped lowers especially, is there anything I should know about before I look for one (parts incompatibilities, etc...)? I'm probably going to try to build the AR10 lower into an M110 clone... but we'll see. HK is supposed to be releasing their MR556 and MR762 later on this year. I'd really like one, but it's starting to sound like they may come in at $3500... which will probably be a no go for me.
    Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge can add in, but it was my understanding that when the 95 ban went into effect, the only way to have a legal pre-ban rifle was to have a completely assembled rifle. It was my understanding that you couldn't take parts and legal assemble a rifle after the ban went into effect.

If fully assembled guns are required there are more than enough
    of us to swap out parts to get your reciever functional for viewing
    and registering.

I dont recal the letter of the law on the last AWB but I cant imagine
    they will stop you from buying "safety and service" items for your
    legaly registerd firearm (read: parts to complete your gun).
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    they wouldnt really have a clue if the other components were purchased preban would they? I thought the real traceable portion is on the lower only?

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

Breecher_7
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy MF'ng Johnson! View Post
    they wouldnt really have a clue if the other components were purchased preban would they? I thought the real traceable portion is on the lower only?
    Correct, the lower is the only part of the firearm with a registered serial number.

Yup the upper barrels,recievers and LPK's are void of numbers.

One fully assembled gun will legalize hundereds of lowers
    provided all the components to keep your legal AR in safe
    working orderd are available. Takes an hour to make a fully
    functional gun from parts (100% assembly, LPK ready to fire).
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

DPMS rocks I used to shoot them in 3 gun competitions can't say enough other than I wish I could have bought my comp gun.
    Claimsman

Quote Originally Posted by 73Dustr View Post
    Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge can add in, but it was my understanding that when the 95 ban went into effect, the only way to have a legal pre-ban rifle was to have a completely assembled rifle. It was my understanding that you couldn't take parts and legal assemble a rifle after the ban went into effect.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but that ban expired.

Senior Member..now yer posting! 73Dustr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ND4SPD View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but that ban expired.
    Yeah it did. Now it's the HR 45 we have to worry about. Holder, the attorney general feels there should be another "Assault Rifle" ban because of Mexico's violence with the drug cartels. Not only do we allow all the illegals into the country, now we are concerned with the problems inside their country. Of course, it's America's fault drug cartels get firearms and shoot people. What a joke!

I was just referring to the way it was in 95.

Well HR45 is peanuts compared to the 2008 version of the AW ban. Like the Canadian ban it bans all new sales to civilians as well as all transfers. So you can keep the guns you have... but when you die, they have to be destroyed (because you can't transfer them). The only conceivable way I can think of to get around this would be to put all of your guns in a revokable living trust. That way when you die, the guns aren't being transferred... the custody of the trust is simply changed to your kids.