My new (old) 89 Delta 88

Hello All,

As most of you know, I had an accident with my A4 about a month ago. I had been looking for a replacement and was having little luck because I was so picky.

While searching, some of my family members kept mentioning my brother-in-law's old oldsmobile 88. The first thought in my head was "no, those things suck! I don't want it!" But since my search was not going anywhere, I decided to do a little research on it. I was almost sold when I read that it had a 3800 in it, so I went to look at it.

It needed a jump and then it ran like crap. I drove it around for a few miles and noticed that it had the agility of the Titanic. Also, one of the lights pointed up and the passenger door did not open. Aside from that, it moved under its own power and the $300 price matched the $300 I had in my wallet.

So far, I put a $70 battery in it and it runs well. It's also acquired the name "brown monster"

What gets me is that I forgot how smooth the old American cars can be over rough roads. Sure, the car lists about 15 degrees around sharp turns, but those giant potholes Wisconsin is notorious for feel like little cracks. I had pretty much forgotten how well the old domestics handle the road.

Since then, I asked to drive an old MC and a Chevelle. Wisconsin roads are glass under those cars.

Now I'm pondering:
    I was just bitten by the old-domestic-car-bug. Will this be gone in a month like a bad cold or is it a DNA-retrovirus and it is here to stay?
    When Injustice Becomes Law; Rebellion Becomes Duty

In your face, Space Coyote.... Voodoo Chick's Avatar
    "The agility of the Titanic...." I really like that......lol...Are the 1989 88's really that big? My ' 73 Olds 98 is GIANT, but is supernaturaly agile. Moves with a grace and speed NO ONE would expect from a car that size. As for the "old-domestic-car-bug," it WON'T go away....it's like heroin addiction...gets in your blood, takes over your life and your soul!! Way more intense than a DNA-retrovirus....

My Grandma had a 1988 olds 88. She was close to making it to 300,000. But my dad had her buy a new car. She ended up getting a 1999 olds 88
    Owner of Sunset Self Storage LLC. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED STORAGE. 24/7 access. No Contract length. Self Storage/Portable Storage/Vehicle Transport
    Thanks, Brad 262.751.9439

09 Cadillac CTS V Has some stuff done...
    05 Chevy Duramax: Best time in 4wd was 12.22 @ 108
    99 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic: Big Bore, Cams, tune.

Those H-Bodies are great vehicles, I got my 90' LeSabre cheap from a friend who got it from a family member who passed away years ago, then my friend had some DUI issues so it sat for over a year, tune up, fresh gas and battery and I've put on 43k so far. Only a couple minor things have needed replacing other than tune-ups/brakes, radiator lines were starting to rust/leak and the Coil pack needed replacing shortly after purchase. The 3800 motor is awesome for reliability and decent mileage too. The car is comfy to boot and with the soft suspension it helps with the ride, sure it won't handle well but oh well. I just recently have been doing some "upgrades" to it after 3+ years as a daily beater, converted the granny speedo to a full gauge cluster, new dash pad, strut tower brace off a Caddy H-body (it will never handle good, not sure why I bothered ) and a couple other minor things. The car I got my gauge cluster out of was a wrecked Park Ave with 220k on it, the car I got the dash out of was a LeSabre with 246k on it...speaks of the reliability on these things. So if/when people bad mouth domestic cars or GM I like to bring up these vehicles, my older Montes have been reliable too, for me anyway. With any older car things happen but I don't know if you can get a better bang for your buck IMO.

Theres a couple newer cars I'd like to get but I can't justify a car payment when I have something thats reliable, comfy, gets fair mileage (21-26mpg) and is paid for.
    86' MCSS - 13.35 @103
    87' MCLS - 14.55 @96
    02' Regal GS - Who cares

Quote Originally Posted by 7398455 View Post
    ...Are the 1989 88's really that big?
    Nope. Mine is the little one.

My buddies are now trying to convince me to get an older car with SBC power. They have attempted this before, but failed. Now they have succeeded.

I've pretty much given up on finding that 05+ A4 wagon with a manual tranny. Now I want an old domestic wagon or three-door with a sbc in it.
    When Injustice Becomes Law; Rebellion Becomes Duty

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Find a full-size wagon, be it a ford, chevy, mopar.

I, of course being a mopar guy, always loved the old C- body wagons. A good example (and this one is for sale, btw---440 big block) would be like this:

Parts galore are available for it.

And though it surprises some, you can make these things very fun to drive...front end rebuild, new HD torsion bars, new HD rear leaf, performance shocks, Front/rear sway bar, and good tires, you'll find you've got a very decent handling vehicle that is rated to tow 5000+ lbs easily to boot.

Now, don't be confused, I'm not going to put this on the same level as a miata...or even an aveo. It'll be just a big car with a comfortable ride, that is fun to toss into corners. Fun, not fast.

This formula was applied to my coronet, and it handles very well...I love cloverleaf exit/on ramps.

Want good stopping power? While the particular model above already has front disc, you can get 4 wheel disc brakes. Heck, you can upgrade to have 14" rotors up front, 12" rear if you so chose to.

Now, please don't think that it's only mopars this applies to...any of the GM boats, Ford barges (these are terms of affection) will respond likewise to the same treatments.

And while anything chevy will have a greater price benefit, it's not as much as it used to be. To do the whole she-bang for handling might only cost a couple hundred more in a non-chevy/GM vehicle.

Engines, SBC reign supreme in cost, no doubt...but again, the advantages have diminished with time. Now a big block mopar can be built within reason of a small-block chevy, likewise a big block ford or pontiac, etc, etc, etc.

I actually surprised myself with the coronet...since I was really looking for either a wagon or convertible...but big old wagons are really fun, versatile beast...they really don't make 'em like they used to (though, I'd admit, they make 'em better today).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

i love my 94 lesabre.... for all its old car qualities, and SUPER rolly chassis, i still love it. cant kill a 3.8 unless you do something dumb
    "A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

In your face, Space Coyote.... Voodoo Chick's Avatar
    There's nothing quite like a 20 foot, over 4,000 lb. car with a big block....they might not take off real fast, but when they do pick up speed (for some, this happens pretty fast) they will chase down and pass damn near anything....like a runaway train. Scary, but awesome.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My bro and I used to take his 72 new yorker down the strip...even w/ 2.76 gears, it still cut high 15's w/ the basic 440. But you're right...when it's up to speed, it feels even faster...the ultimate roll-on hwy racer.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

\/ What amazing looks like \/
    i had an 88 Cadillac sedan deville that car was a dream to drive.. it glided down the road. when you stop on the gas from a stop the front end of it went up like a boat when you get on it then slowly it came down like it was finally on plain. air ride on that car was tits...

I'd like to get a g-body Malibu wagon, maybe add BBC power as as half toy/half parts hauler someday. You can find them cheap in solid shape and with a 305 if you want a SBC...reliable vehicles for sure .
    86' MCSS - 13.35 @103
    87' MCLS - 14.55 @96
    02' Regal GS - Who cares

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PB86MCSS View Post
    I'd like to get a g-body Malibu wagon, maybe add BBC power as as half toy/half parts hauler someday. You can find them cheap in solid shape and with a 305 if you want a SBC...reliable vehicles for sure .
    I recall frequently working on a buddies 81 iirc...had the 262 V8 iirc too. Hated working on that thing, with literally a mile wort of vacuum hoses on it. Couldn't change the valve cover gaskets easily due to both the A/C compressors placement and because you'd have to pull a bunch of hoses, that'd invariably crack or tear due to age/exposure. God how I dislike working on that thing for him.

Otherwise, a decent little wagon that was reasonably economical. Idled down the hwy...but no go, that was another thing I recall.

I tried to get him just to stick a mild 350 behind it...no avail
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

Well, good point, the smaller V-8 in those years stunk. I think the 305 powered ones are more common though. 305's are pretty much a dog but like any low output SBC, very reliable and super easy/cheap to maintain too. With most cars of that era there are alot of vac lines and emissions stuff in the way but it shouldn't be too often that it needs to be moved around.
    86' MCSS - 13.35 @103
    87' MCLS - 14.55 @96
    02' Regal GS - Who cares

G body wagons FTW, not that I'm biased or anything

I loved my 96 Eighty Eight, 30+ mpg highway, comfy ride.Had a 90 Ninety Eight too I liked but sold it to a friend, dislike my 94 GP, rides like an oxcart, 23-24 mpg with a smaller car and engine than the EIghty eight, and with a sunroof I have to lean into the middle because the head liner is too low and I'm only 6'
    Jamie

01 F150 Screw 5.4 4x4 99 VW Jetta 64 Olds Cutlass
    83 Cutlass Gbody Wagon 85 Suzuki GS700ES needs some new parts now