Sunroof Wont open on Grand Prix

When pressing the button to open the sunroof, the sunroof moves a few cm's at a time. To get the sunroof open all the way it requires pressing the button 30-40 times. Any idea what would cause this? Perhaps the relay? Is the motor going bad?
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by Car Guy; 03-04-2009 at 04:34 PM.

How old is it?
    Maybe the tracks are junked up & need cleaning/lubing.
    _] Jeff
    _] '08 Audi A4 S-Line
    _] '98 Eclipse Spyder GS-T
    _] '93 Toyota Camry
    www.flickr.com/photojeffic

Its an 04, I'm thinking its the switch. Tracks are fine

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

2006 roadking custom. KF 9000 Champion 0TransAm0's Avatar
    might be froze...i tried my girlfriends car the other day and it did the same thing but was full of ice....just a thought

It opens and closes, nothing is in the tracks and it moves freely.

Bob the Builder says: 88Nightmare's Avatar
    if there is a relay in there somewhere try that. I'd be willing to bet its a switch or a relay.
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    All democrats like to work on wood, zing!
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take from those willing to work and give to those that are not - Thomas Jefferson
    2008 Yamaha FZ6
    2005 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 duramax

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    my guess is that it needs to be retimed so to speak,check with the dealer you may need to disconnect the power reconnect and do certain steps to program it

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy MF'ng Johnson! View Post
    my guess is that it needs to be retimed so to speak,check with the dealer you may need to disconnect the power reconnect and do certain steps to program it
    Re-timed? As in it might not be opening at the same time on each side?

no like the complete open and complete closed are not set proper for the motor,so it opens a bit and thinks its opened all the way,just a thought

I'll touch your apex PureSound15's Avatar
    The only way that I see it could be a relay is if the relay is not holding the bridge. I.e. when it slaps over to connect power - it's only staying there for a second or two before releasing.

If that were the case it would an incredibly simple fix once you found the relay which is probably by the dome light in that car - but I've been wrong atleast twice in my life.

If you think it is the switch, here is your easy test for it.

Lower the front edge of the headliner at the sunroof opening (should just have to loosen or remove the rubber trim piece around the sunroof, or sometimes you can "unsnap" the switch from the headliner) and find your switch connector (3 wires dark blue wire, orange wire, brown wire.)

Disconnect the connector from the switch and with the key "on" or in "accessory" position apply a jumper wire between the dark blue and brown wires. If it opens smoothly, move the jumper to the dark blue and orange wires. If it closes smoothly also without interruption you know you have a junk switch.
    GM World Class Certified Technician

Quote Originally Posted by brotherbenn83 View Post
    If you think it is the switch, here is your easy test for it.

Lower the front edge of the headliner at the sunroof opening (should just have to loosen or remove the rubber trim piece around the sunroof, or sometimes you can "unsnap" the switch from the headliner) and find your switch connector (3 wires dark blue wire, orange wire, brown wire.)

Disconnect the connector from the switch and with the key "on" or in "accessory" position apply a jumper wire between the dark blue and brown wires. If it opens smoothly, move the jumper to the dark blue and orange wires. If it closes smoothly also without interruption you know you have a junk switch.
    Check! Thanks much, new switch is 6 bucks. Now that I have the switch out it actually feels as if the plastic part of the toggle is broken on the inside.

Alright, the new switch is in and it works better but it still shuts off. Tyler mentioned a safety feature that is supposed to prevent the motor from burning up that shuts it down if there is too much resistance. He said his fix was to apply white lithium grease to the tracks to smooth operation.

Opinions?

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    Alright, the new switch is in and it works better but it still shuts off. Tyler mentioned a safety feature that is supposed to prevent the motor from burning up that shuts it down if there is too much resistance. He said his fix was to apply white lithium grease to the tracks to smooth operation.

Opinions?
    It's true. I asked my cousin about it (he works at a Pontiac dealership) and he says it's a common problem.

He said if you have the multiple-preset open option that it could need to be re-indexed.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

ask my brother brian,he is a ase GM master tech I;m sure he can help you