Thread: 87 trans am GTA

87 trans am GTA

ok i might be traden my truck with a ton of miles for a 87 trans am GTA 5.7l 700r4 its in ok shape not rusty but some body damage minor but the guy is a tool and said it needs a trans cause it dont slam into 2nd gear hard i went for a ride and in just OD it shifted just fine through all 4 gears he told me on the phone that it you hold the pedal to the floor that it red lines till you take your foot off the gas then it shifts it seemed fine to me when he floored it all it did was spin the left tirenow i was reading theres a valve in the 700r4's that gets cloged up could that be the problem? or ne kind of advice please thank you

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    change the fuel filter, i ran into a problem that very easly could have been mistaken for a trans issue but was only a fuel filter (it was on a camaro with a 305)

If the price is right buy it, a 350 GTA is getting harder and harder to find. If nothing else, the guy thinks it has problems, use that to talk him down and then fix it when its yours.

This wouldn't happen to be a white car would it?
    Kevin
    Daily Driver: 1999 Chevy Tahoe w/ Vortec 350
    Wifes DD: 2003 VW Passat Wagon w/ 1.8T, 5 speed auto
    Plow Truck: 99 Chevy K3500 Pickup w/ a Vortec 454
    Toy 1: 98 BMW R1100R
    87 Camaro Iroc Z28, SOLD, Gone But not Forgotten

I had the same problem in my 02 Dodge Ram 2500. They never could find the problem and was fixed when the transmission was rebuilt not too long after the problem arose. They never did tell me what caused the issue but then again it is a Dodge.

Like PonyKiller87 said if it's the right price get it but it might be the TV cable or just needing a filter change.
    http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic372_2.gif

Quote Originally Posted by BadAzzGTA89 View Post
    Like PonyKiller87 said if it's the right price get it but it might be the TV cable or just needing a filter change.
    i had a problem with those tv cables before i had a 86 iroc that someone put a 350 4 bolt carb motor in and the trans shifted funny but the guy told me it had a shift kit then it lost 4and 3rd gear it felt like it was in neutral but trying to grab and trans x told me it was fried i just dont want another problem like that again i always wanted a GTA and know they are hard to find