Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Who boosts?

Race Transmission Rebuilder twicks69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nismodave View Post
    Thats what Im sayin man.

Guys spend THOUSANDS of dollars to build cars, then upgrade most every winter........Then, "Lets race for a cheeseburger?"

If i was Tim, I wouldnt run for anything less than $300. Too much risk for him to break something for a burger.
    Ok, a hundred cheeseburgers!

We'll set up Call Outs when the car is running and ready.
    Tim Zimmer
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    9.49@148mph, street trim.
    ----------------------------
    2005 Subaru Outback Limited
    -- Winter Beater --

Post whore
    Quote Originally Posted by twicks69 View Post

What do you have to do still? I'll have to see that thing run some time this summer!
    2005 DSOM Corvette, Z51, M6, Z06 Mufflers

BCM Cruiser
    I'll give you the 330'. How about that. It would be a bit more fair.

As well, how about for one of those yummy double cheezeburgers from Johnny Midnight's! Yum!

hehe that works!! and a 5gal drum of some of chadlys yum yum race gas?!
    03 Nissan 350z BUILT Greddy TT
    11.2 @ 128..... slow 2.0 60ft .....
    05 Titan DD

Quote Originally Posted by SSLEVO View Post
    What do you have to do still? I'll have to see that thing run some time this summer!
    Well, I am looking at a fully emptied engine bay right now and need to complete alot of new things:
    *New motor
    *New turbo
    *New cooling system
    *New exhaust setup
    *New intake pipe setup
    *New intercooler pipe setup
    *New fuel setup
    *etc.

Nearly everything is custom fab, so it will take me a bit of time. It isn't like I can just order a 5" intake setup, or a 4" downpipe setup, or the cooling system setup.

This is just to get the car running. Then after tuning, I need to work on more safety compliance stuff and get the car licensed for passes.

I am going to be working this week on installing my old engine block and a transmission to do some turbo mock-up so I can start working on fabbing a new intake pipe, downpipe and lower intercooler pipe. After that, I can then see if I need to relocate my alternator to the backside of the motor for downpipe clearance, along with lower radiator hose placement (stock along the block style, or forward facing style). Once those parts are set, I can then start working on the dimensions I need to make my custom radiator and -20AN upper/lower lines.

There are a ton of details that need to be completed before it turns on. Then break-in and dyno-time. The goal is still sometime in April.

I will be getting the chop saw and welder back to my house this weekend to start working on it.

As well, I am still waiting on getting my rotating assembly back from the machinist (Todd Goodwin -- http://www.goodwincompetition.net/whatwedo.htm) and then need to do the entire assembly with all new parts. Heck, it literally is a completely new engine. I will be reusing my new head from last year (had less than 125 miles on it since built), and will be building a couple spare race transmissions in the next month or so.
    Last edited by twicks69; 03-14-2009 at 12:17 PM.
    Tim Zimmer
    -- Winter Beater --

Quote Originally Posted by eltness350 View Post
    hehe that works!! and a 5gal drum of some of chadlys yum yum race gas?!
    Sounds like a plan to me! We will need to set something up later down in the middle of summer.

Make sure it is Q16, my car is thirsty!
    Tim Zimmer
    -- Winter Beater --

I do in a stock appearing srt4. I like it, it is loud and moves out of its own way.
    I WANNA GO FAST

<--- see the name.

I'm at about 21psi. Mostly stock. This is about 270 crank HP.

Post whore
    Well, I am looking at a fully emptied engine bay right now and need to complete alot of new things:
    *New motor
    *New turbo
    *New cooling system
    *New exhaust setup
    *New intake pipe setup
    *New intercooler pipe setup
    *New fuel setup
    *etc.

Nearly everything is custom fab, so it will take me a bit of time. It isn't like I can just order a 5" intake setup, or a 4" downpipe setup, or the cooling system setup.

This is just to get the car running. Then after tuning, I need to work on more safety compliance stuff and get the car licensed for passes.

I am going to be working this week on installing my old engine block and a transmission to do some turbo mock-up so I can start working on fabbing a new intake pipe, downpipe and lower intercooler pipe. After that, I can then see if I need to relocate my alternator to the backside of the motor for downpipe clearance, along with lower radiator hose placement (stock along the block style, or forward facing style). Once those parts are set, I can then start working on the dimensions I need to make my custom radiator and -20AN upper/lower lines.

There are a ton of details that need to be completed before it turns on. Then break-in and dyno-time. The goal is still sometime in April.

I will be getting the chop saw and welder back to my house this weekend to start working on it.

As well, I am still waiting on getting my rotating assembly back from the machinist (Todd Goodwin -- http://www.goodwincompetition.net/whatwedo.htm) and then need to do the entire assembly with all new parts. Heck, it literally is a completely new engine. I will be reusing my new head from last year (had less than 125 miles on it since built), and will be building a couple spare race transmissions in the next month or so.
    Damn! With all of that i was expecting mid summer, sounds like you will be quite busy in the next month or so

Quote Originally Posted by nismodave View Post
    2.0 ltr 4 cyl with turbo.
    Wife's car is same as Dave on this one.. 2.0L I4 with a Turbo...
    Thanks,
    Joe Reichard
    2007 Saab 9-5 Aero
    2010 Saab 9-3 2.0T 6-Speed Manual... It's my wife's and she lets me drive it from time to time...
    2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen Convertible
    1995 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible

Post whore

we might be able to work something out... Im just curious how bad i would spin trying to launch at the 330'
    Just a ten second neon

Quote Originally Posted by 1siksrt View Post
    we might be able to work something out... Im just curious how bad i would spin trying to launch at the 330'
    I am guessing you would have severe traction issues trying to launch at the 330'. That is why I would probably still pass you!

Really, I like to go to the track and race for the fun of racing; I have never ran my car for money. Usually the only guys that have wanted to run me in the past were at WIR on RSD nights, and it was usually some Chicago Wiseguy car which I knew would blow my doors off.

The only guys there I want to race against this year are the James Gang (Mike and Mark James). I have a running bet with them (Against Mike James) for a run against the Lightning for some good food!
    Tim Zimmer
    -- Winter Beater --

Post whore
    So i looked around on the GLD site and couldn't really find out what the real street drags are all about. Can anyone fill me in?

So i looked around on the GLD site and couldn't really find out what the real street drags are all about. Can anyone fill me in?

http://www.rsdforums.net/
    Tim Zimmer
    -- Winter Beater --

Post whore
    Looks kind of interesting i guess. Seems like it would be unorganized in that format, idk. So you have to find some one to race yourself pretty much? I imagine it takes a lot longer, how many runs do you get?

Post whore
    Looks kind of interesting i guess. Seems like it would be unorganized in that format, idk. So you have to find some one to race yourself pretty much? I imagine it takes a lot longer, how many runs do you get?
    Well if you want to get more runs yes find people to race!!!! cause the if you set up money races you get preference... there are people in the normal staging lanes as well..
    Just a ten second neon

Post whore
    I am guessing you would have severe traction issues trying to launch at the 330'. That is why I would probably still pass you!

Really, I like to go to the track and race for the fun of racing; I have never ran my car for money. Usually the only guys that have wanted to run me in the past were at WIR on RSD nights, and it was usually some Chicago Wiseguy car which I knew would blow my doors off.

The only guys there I want to race against this year are the James Gang (Mike and Mark James). I have a running bet with them (Against Mike James) for a run against the Lightning for some good food!
    Ya i figured that it would be pretty bad trying to launch a fwd car out that far....
    Just a ten second neon

Quote Originally Posted by 1siksrt View Post
    Ya i figured that it would be pretty bad trying to launch a fwd car out that far....
    I know if I launched out there, I would probably be laying rubber all the way to at least the 1/8th or the 1000ft before catching traction, as I already would spin all four through 1st and almost all of 2nd before hooking in 3rd on slicks.
    Tim Zimmer
    -- Winter Beater --

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Joe View Post
    Wife's car is same as Dave on this one.. 2.0L I4 with a Turbo...
    Yea but mine is not in a Puke Green car, and mine is faster than your Mach 1.

Post whore
    I know if I launched out there, I would probably be laying rubber all the way to at least the 1/8th or the 1000ft before catching traction, as I already would spin all four through 1st and almost all of 2nd before hooking in 3rd on slicks.
    race car as ron would say
    Just a ten second neon

Quote Originally Posted by eltness350 View Post
    stock evo8 turbo is a 18g man...i used to have one....max boost it would push was 25lbs and 1000cc injectors r way too much for that amount of power....i added a walbro 255lph and kept the stock injectors and made 330awhp...they werent even maxed yet with a tune...
    Stock EVO 8 is a TD05HR 16G6 9.8cm hotside and twin flapper WG so its a 16G not a 18G. I am running one on my daily driver they are great little turbos quick spooling great torque!
    My DD is 320hp 317tq on 16 psi I run 24 psi daily(upgraded WG actuator) and push it to 30 from time to time stock WG will only hold around 20psi with no mods and a good Manual Boost Controller.
    The EVO 9 has upgraded wheels, bigger compressor housing, single WG flapper and a 10.5cm hotside and will make better power.

Yeah, i know you can. I just don't want to worry about finding a station with it when i am away from home, which i am a lot. for me switching between 93 and E85 is fliping a switch for the map and draining the left over fuel with the pump and return line. Should be a 15 min job. I'm sure once i get it tuned for it i will never want to go back. Although runing 28-30 lbs of boost on the way to work an back will be quite jerky.
    Been running E85 for 2+ years I have found the pros and cons

Cold start is not an issue if you get your setup right they need lots of crank timing even when the temp falls below 30 degrees it starts within to cranks that's better then my sidedrafts on race gas!!

When you first switch over you will need to change your fuel filter a few times!(E85 cleans your tank and lines very well) and plugs them up! Your car is new so should not be as much of a problem then the 12 years of gas contamination my cars had!
    Also you will need at least a walboro 255 or better fuel pump I run twin 255's in tank works great.

Whatever HP/injector size your are running will need approx 40 to 42% increase @ WOT.
    I did it the stupid way by buying 3 sets of injectors(#1 880, #2 1000 and #3 1600cc/min) I recommend just going over kill to begin with because you will soon get greedy and want to turn up the boost. There are some very nice injectors in the 1200 to 1350cc/min range now that are faster responding then the old bosch 1600cc/min I am running however they are big $$. My new car will be running 8 1000cc/min delfi injectors fast responding and cheap if you can mod your own manifold.

Injector fouling is an issue with E85 as it has no cleaning additives in it, just some corrosion inhibitors in it.
    It seems to be worse in different regions of the country probably due to different makers and suppliers of E85u. So you end up with a sticky brown goo on the end of your injectors and pulling them out to clean all the time gets old!
    But by running a good super unleaded like chevron with techron and a good injector cleaner from time to time (I do 30 gallons or 2 tanks every oil change chevron super with injector cleaner/topend lube) it becomes a non issue.

Ethanol has a liking to moisture and comes out during combustion so running a high quality synthetic oil and a breather catch can on the valve cover is a recommended by me.

Open source guys have all the mapping you will need for the evo8 and they are working on map switching/swithers for gas to E85 without having to carry a laptop with you.
    When switching I just run my tank down to the light approx 2 gallons and go fill up with premium unleaded and switch maps vice versa for E85

Hope this helps! good luck and have fun with your EVO