1998-99 Pontiac GTP

So my sister calls me last night telling me her car sounds like an airplane. The noise coming from under the hood is so loud she car barely hear the radio.

Any body have experience with the supercharger failing on the GM 3.8L from a 1998-99 Pontiac GTP? Does it sound that bad? Could it just be a bad alternator bearing?

I have not went and looked at the car myself, so I am looking for some feedback first.

Thanks!
    67 Chevy II in a million pieces :: My Blog

lol the blower gear drive failures sound like marbels going down the intake.

Alt, PS pump or an idler would be my guess... wont run or not well if the crank pulley is coming off due to the crank sensor reluctor on it.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    supercharger failures are common, mostly with the nose cone, but that is like tom described, a marble sound.

God damn it... Son of a bitch. Brian98GTP's Avatar
    If SHE says it sounds like an airplane, one can only assume it's a screeching or whining type of sound. My guess would be the alternator pulley or one of the idler pullies.
    I'm assuming the 'airplane noise' gets louder with the RPM's, or may even go away completely....

+1 on the rocks in the intake when the s/c snout bearings/coupler goes bad.
    Hale To The Zoo!!

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST: A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

Quote Originally Posted by juicedimpss
    no,i think dani makes a better looking chick than the one we are talking about

07 GP GXP
    01 Camaro SS

My Garage

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will let you know what I find.

It'll be one of the idlers,take the belts off and spin the idlers to see which one it is.
    Fred Cakanic III
    1998 Grand Prix GTX Daytona500 pace car959 of 150011.584@119.17
    http://www.clubgp.com/cgi-asp/detail...ntOwnerID=2019

I finally got a chance to look at the car first hand. The problem was the air conditioning compressor. When the clutch kicked in and the unit tried to pump the roar would start.

Come to find out the A/C stopped working last summer. My guess is there is not an ounce of freon or lubricant left in the compressor from the amount of brown haze over the front of the compressor, pulley and belt.

So I pulled the clutch relay for now and told here she is going to need to have the A/C system replaced most likely.

Well the pressure sensor shouldnt allow clutch engagment if its low, so it has freon if it cycles. The elctromagnetic clutch took a shit then and is slipping.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

I had a similar experience in my GTP (which i no longer have) and it ended up being a tensioner pulley. Right after that the alternator started to whine and needed to be replaced. Good luck and hopefully you found the problem.