Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ol' School

Which tire? MTs or KDWs?

Saying that price isnt the issue here I am stuck on which tire set to put on my car for the summer. Im in bad bad need of rear tires so those are getting replaced. I can run 295/35/18 BFG KDWs with the flame pattern and a 265 up front.
    I am also looking at Mickey Thompsons 305/35/18s for the rear only. I like everything about the MTs but the car will only be on the street and I'll be driving this car a TON so mileage on the tires are an issue and I dont know if MTs can hold up for me. I have a couple travel shows on the schedule and 1 trip to the Carolinas going too

Got any suggestions guys/girls?

Wife Approved Toys
    03 Mach 1
    98 GSXR 750

I would definitely stay away from MTs if you're concerned about mileage. Considering any other DR? I'd go with a more street oriented one, BFG over Nitto.

If you are running 17's up front I can put you into a pair of 245/45/ZR17 Nitto NT555's that have never touched the ground. I bought the wrong size online.

The T3/T4eclipse broke 2much:P BigSnailBuick's Avatar
    My Et streets held up for a long time being on a DD... Rain sucked though
    "Plus my rats come in packs like Sammy and Dean Martin, and I got soo many keys you'd think I was Valet parking"
    1987 Buick Regal Turbo T Limited- DBB 6766, ProEFI, E-85.
    2000 Audi S4- Nogaro Blue w/ matching interior! Chipped and a maintenance nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by T3/T4eclipse View Post
    My Et streets held up for a long time being on a DD... Rain sucked though
    I only got 2500 miles out of mine but I had 400whp and a lead foot. About 5 trips to the track too.

Breecher_7
    Nitto NT05's

\/ What amazing looks like \/
    kdw's are very nice tires. i know cobalt sstuner has them. i have nitto's on my car i also like them

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    What about the standby Nitto 555Rs or NT01s?
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

\/ What amazing looks like \/
    nitto's are a cheaper and a bit harder. but the kdw's are a better tire but for the price the nitto's are a good option

I just got these for my mustang Im sure they make them in the size you need
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=1
    EMT/Fire fighters- " this ain’t a job. It ain’t an occupation. It’s a calling. A need. A desire that you feel in your bones and your brains and your nut-sack."Tommy Gavin(Denis Leary)

BCM Cruiser
    I had a set of BFG KDWs on 16x7 rims and didn't like them. They felt greasy. I wouldn't get traction till well into 2ed NA, and not till the top of 3ed with the nitrous.
    Support your local sanctioned tracks!!

Ol' School
    DAMN!! THats crazy there Justin. Now I'm lost. Nittos are a option for sure but I have 18s all around so the 17" offer wouldnt work. Gosh, now I gotta see what I want. I hate research.....just wanna do it

I am in the process of finally putting money into my car this year so I'm finally getting to finish what I started. My bottles are at the paint shop now, I order the last pieces of the nitrous install from Mike Post on Friday and I am getting some gauges from Breecher. I have HIDs for the whole front on their way so I'll be ready by early summer time for sure
    Last edited by MoCkiN U; 02-18-2009 at 10:54 AM.

Wife Approved Toys
    03 Mach 1
    98 GSXR 750

I have the Nitto 555's, I won't buy them again. They aren't sticky until they are WELLLLLLLLLL heated (they do wear very well though). The BFG's are a great compromise between the Nitto's and what I am buying this year, as they finally have it in my size, the M/T's, which will give you the best traction, but obviously the least amount of life. Choices, choices.

Breecher_7
    The NT01's are a great tire but they will not last long on the street. I wouldnt expect more then 5K miles of spirited driving with them. Josh's set are more then half gone with less then 2K on them. And dont get caught in the rain with them.....

i like the BFG KDW's alot, Liz has them on her 240sx.... so odviously power doesn't come into play on that.

If you WANT your car to hook go drag radial,but they won't last a long time. Have you looked into the BFG G-Force T/a Drag radials? there a good tread design and my buddy ran them on a 700WHP supra and they hooked pretty decent.
    Quote Originally Posted by 88Nightmare
    its always winter on bcm!

Quote Originally Posted by Breecher_7 View Post
    The NT01's are a great tire but they will not last long on the street. I wouldnt expect more then 5K miles of spirited driving with them. Josh's set are more then half gone with less then 2K on them. And dont get caught in the rain with them.....
    The NT01's are a road course tire, practically useless for the OP's application.

They are a great road course tire though, see them on A LOT of cars when teching up at RA, so if Mockin is looking for that type, the NT01's are a great tire.

Dont ever expect much hook from an 18" DR... my .02 goes to the nitto 555R. They are shit when cold on typical street driving with something that makes some power. But if you arent affraid to nuke them they work ok and last about 5-10K depending on ur style. The M/T dr's i had didnt even last past the street tuning of the turbo 2 years ago, 500 miles and wiped clean and would wear like a bitch on the highway. BFG dr's i had on the monte were 18's they were ok but wore like a bitch too on the street.

Oh yeah and the nitto 555R's seem to squeal quite loud for me too... which is a bit annoying when trying to brake spool the turbo in 2nd gear on hwy 100 and they start howling next to someone your trying to get a big head of steam on.
    Last edited by BAD LS1; 02-18-2009 at 04:16 PM.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

Ol' School
    I am putting nitrous on the car so I want something that will hook up and want something that will drive right but just not a fan of nittos at all from buddies cars. Guess the KDWs are my choice after all. The car wont see the strip probably at all. Its all street driving

Wife Approved Toys
    03 Mach 1
    98 GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by BAD LS1 View Post
    Dont ever expect much hook from an 18" DR... my .02 goes to the nitto 555R. They are shit when cold on typical street driving with something that makes some power. But if you arent affraid to nuke them they work ok and last about 5-10K depending on ur style. The M/T dr's i had didnt even last past the street tuning of the turbo 2 years ago, 500 miles and wiped clean and would wear like a bitch on the highway. BFG dr's i had on the monte were 18's they were ok but wore like a bitch too on the street.

Oh yeah and the nitto 555R's seem to squeal quite loud for me too... which is a bit annoying when trying to brake spool the turbo in 2nd gear on hwy 100 and they start howling next to someone your trying to get a big head of steam on.

Nitto 555's on my car lasted two years id say prolly 15 trips to the track so like 30 passes. They are actually not bad. Not sure why everyone talks shit about them. I could spray out of the hole on the street in my car on a 100 shot,3600 stall and i would hook almost as good as i would at the track. Mine never made any noise what so ever. The only time I wouldnt get traction was if i sprayed it at 50 mph with the same shot. The combination of the trans downshifting into 2nd and spraying was an instant loss of traction. Driving in rain was not bad either. Id buy them again. I ran many low 12 second passes with them. I got atleast 10k out of them id say with all the racing I did.

Quote Originally Posted by MoCkiN U View Post
    I am putting nitrous on the car so I want something that will hook up and want something that will drive right but just not a fan of nittos at all from buddies cars. Guess the KDWs are my choice after all. The car wont see the strip probably at all. Its all street driving
    Those tires would last about as long as et streets if your putting nitrous on the car. Might as well go with the sticky mickeys.