R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar

Subis and buying used.

Would one say it's smart to buy a used WRX with say 50k + miles? Whats comon to go wrong with one after 50k? How are they past 100k?
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

I thought you were buying a Buttstang?

I'm keeping my options open
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

gosh you've gotten smart.

My brother had a 05 STI after owning a C4 corvette, and before a 03 C5 Vette and he said it felt faster then the Vette and he liked it more then the vette, he is actually looking at another one.

if i were you i would look into the 05+ which used the same 2.5L (not the 2L)

i know the 03-04 WRX 5spd and known for going out.
    Quote Originally Posted by 88Nightmare
    its always winter on bcm!

You have to watch out for modded used vehicles. I know for a bit people were getting bunk aftermarket tunes and blowing things up. The 2.5L is the motor you want. I know the non WRX motor lives forever 200K plus with no issues, but I think the STI motor is going to be good for 140K miles.

I have 2 Subaru vehicles right now and I swear by them for reliability. As with anything, upkeep and driving style affect the long-term.

Nan, just an extra little plug.

My brother when he had the STI he had a 1 year old daughter and he NEVER put her in the car, not sure if this is why your considering the car, but the STI has a pretty unforgiving harsh ride....
    Quote Originally Posted by 88Nightmare
    its always winter on bcm!

Post whore
    Quote Originally Posted by Flicktitty View Post
    Nan, just an extra little plug.

My brother when he had the STI he had a 1 year old daughter and he NEVER put her in the car, not sure if this is why your considering the car, but the STI has a pretty unforgiving harsh ride....

Try driving an evo then
    2005 DSOM Corvette, Z51, M6, Z06 Mufflers

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    you should be able to tell if the car was beat or not...WRXs are great all around vehicles. I still love my bugeye'd 2003 wagon as far as looks go compared to anything issued later. The 5-speeds have a habit of grenading when abused. Mine has 92K on it and never a grumble out of my 5-speed. Redline in the trans and diff and you will be fine. 50K is barely broken in on the 2.0L motors. The 2.5L motor can make more power if you are looking for that but nothing wrong with the EJ20s.....Subarus are easy to work on, awesome for reliability and great in the snow...what more could you ask for.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

^ This.

my brother bought a used Impreza 2.5L (non turbo) which blew a head gasket couple months later. We found its a common issue. He doesn't mod/race/pound on the car either. So I'm not much of a believer that the cars are all that reliable. By design the cylinders have issues with oil getting to the top since they are horizontally opposed (so I am told).
    Just listen to how much they knock on a cold start.
    -Andy
    PS3, Xbox 360, & Steam tag: Cryptic78

"(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    my brother bought a used Impreza 2.5L (non turbo) which blew a head gasket couple months later. We found its a common issue. He doesn't mod/race/pound on the car either. So I'm not much of a believer that the cars are all that reliable. By design the cylinders have issues with oil getting to the top since they are horizontally opposed (so I am told).
    Just listen to how much they knock on a cold start.
    I think I had a post about this in the other thread. The issue you are talking about is a VERY real issue, and probably the biggest reliability problem I have heard about from Subi.

However that issue you are talking about only applies to the mid-late 90s legacy outbacks/impressas. Those are the non-turbo 2.5Ls and also I don't remember which one, but it effects either the SOHC or the DOHC more (I forget which one, just search this site).

So the OP should be fine if he buys a WRX with the 2.0 or the 2.5, those don't have any inherent HG problems.

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    replacing HGs in the turbo motors are less common than the N/A motors for whatever reason. FWIW, my motor doesn't use a drop of oil, Mobil 1 and Subie oil filters since 12K miles. I will agree that they do make some valve chatter when really cold but it seems to quickly go away. However the boxer motors in general make noise. Coming from Hondas prior, those are the quietest, smoothest 4bangers.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

Well there's two in the madison area an 03 and an 05. If you guys know of any dealers in the local milwaukee area LMK.

If your going to get a wrx go with an STI. Otherwise you'll F up the trans or you'll F up the trans. Could always get a speed 6!!!!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

If only this one had waaaaaaaay less miles. I love the blue and the wheels. 113k

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    i was thinking of getting an sti for a daily/winter beater, just not into evos, and a lot of people that drive them seem to be idiots.