Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'll be looking for one in nordschleife gray or Karussell white.
    Should be a nice car.
    Chadpoleon Simesamite
    www.widsm.org

I loathe the front and sides, especially that stupid "dip" in the rear quarter window.

That aside, it's a pretty sweet car, and I can totally see RJ's "Mercedes" vision.

Liked it until I saw the curb weight Hopefully the 3450 figure is for the fully optioned auto v6.
    '94 6 liter 7 sold!
    '04 evo rs
    ml55 amg

I like it. I am sort impressed with Hyundai and their Genesis line. I'm going to drive their big sedan with the 4.6 in it. My father said it sort of drives like his 08' Lexus LS460.

Post whore
    I curious if the trannies will take the power w/ aftermarket parts??? Hyundai is known for having weak transmissions
    Just a ten second neon

Race Transmission Rebuilder twicks69's Avatar
    I stand corrected, I thought that the genesis coupe did NOT have a 4B11 variant engine -- the block is 4B11, and the head and turbo is different than the Evo X; more along the detuned lines of the Ralliart version. It is looking to be around 220-250HP at the crank. Current speculative numbers are placing the stock internals to hold up to around 300-350whp based on Asian performance shops that have modified them already. There are dyno numbers posted for a GT30R setup putting it around 360whp on a dynojet at moderate boost levels on the stock engine. The more conservative numbers have been put around 300-325whp safely.

I think that there is going to be a heavy performance market for this vehicle, and know that Beyond Redline, AMS, and Buschur Racing will all have Hyundai Genesis Coupes in their stable in 2009. If the car can lighten up a bit, it is around 3400#, it will be a very nice car that could be very capable for time attack, drift, drag, and street use.

In stock form, they are rated for high 14-second 1/4 mile passes; which puts it between a 2G AWD DSM 5-speed and a Lancer Ralliart for stock power levels. We'll see what all happens this year!

I am excited, and have been contemplating the purchase of one, but I will likely wait for atleast a year and pick up a Track "R" version with the 2.0L and the 6-speed with the larger brake setup. It will have a Torsen Rear LSD, BEEFY sway bars, quick ratio steering box, 13.4" front/ 13" rear rotor setup with 4-piston fixed Brembo calipers at all corners (42mm bore for up front, and 32mm/28mm differential bore rear caliper setup).

I cannot wait to pull apart the 6-speed transmission and see what the guts look like before they are all broken. I think that the trans will be beefier than the Hyundai engine internals. Hopefully, they don't put a ***** clutch in the car like Mitsubishi did with the Evo. Nothing like having the clutch wear out in a couple thousand miles (though it is cheaper to replace a clutch than to replace a broken transmission from clutch dumps). I hope that they put a quality 6-speed close ratio transmission together for this car.

As for aftermarket support, I think that there will also be a bit for the big motor, since Rhys Millen is running a Genesis Coupe for Drift events, utilizing a "Hyundai Lambda 3.8-liter V6 engine, which comes standard on the Genesis Coupe 3.8, will be stroked to 4.1-liters and further enhanced by a Turbonetics turbocharger. An AEM engine management system will also be used. The engine will be mated to a HKS sequential transmission. The end result is a Genesis Coupe that will produce 550 horsepower and 520 lb.-ft. of torque"

It will be an exiting year for at least one vehicle on the market!
    Last edited by twicks69; 02-19-2009 at 01:36 PM.
    Tim Zimmer
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    9.49@148mph, street trim.
    ----------------------------
    2005 Subaru Outback Limited
    -- Winter Beater --

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    You've got to be kidding me. It weights 200lbs less than a G8 and makes the same power. Oh, and it costs more. Oh, wait, you can get a G8 GT for less than the 3.8L Genesis and make 100hp more. Did I mention the Genesis Sedan weights the same as a G8?

Sure, you can get a stripmodel 4banger for $22k... but just about everyone has two seaters in that pricerange. If they started at $18k they'd have a chance.

The whale of the Genesis Coupe is going to sink the failboat. I think it might have had a chance if it came out four years ago. In fact, I think it probably would've done really well. At least PC Pro School flunkies that have been driving around in their Tiburon have something to dream about. I mean, at $22k that's a $440/month payment.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post
    You've got to be kidding me. It weights 200lbs less than a G8 and makes the same power. Oh, and it costs more. Oh, wait, you can get a G8 GT for less than the 3.8L Genesis and make 100hp more. Did I mention the Genesis Sedan weights the same as a G8?

Sure, you can get a stripmodel 4banger for $22k... but just about everyone has two seaters in that pricerange. If they started at $18k they'd have a chance.

The whale of the Genesis Coupe is going to sink the failboat. I think it might have had a chance if it came out four years ago. In fact, I think it probably would've done really well. At least PC Pro School flunkies that have been driving around in their Tiburon have something to dream about. I mean, at $22k that's a $440/month payment.

Hmmmm....let's count the problems here:

1. 3450 is NOT 200lbs less than 4031 of the GT.

2. 306 hp of the 3.8 is NOT 100 hp less than the 361hp v8 of the GT's 6.0 v8, but 55 less. Which, btw, is less than the hyundai's 4.6's v8 of 376hp.

3. A genesis 3.8 w/ six speed starts at 26,000...LESS than a 2009 G8 GT 31+G starting price.

4. This thread is about the genesis coupe, not the sedan...two wholly different cars and demographic appeals. Reading the thread and not simply reacting to the title might be considered prudent in the future...hell, even just looking at the pictures would have put you WAY ahead here
    Last edited by Prince Valiant; 02-19-2009 at 10:02 AM.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post

If you check the top of the forums note it says "Sport Compact & Import Forum"

It was almost ALWAYS cheaper in a straight line to go out an buy a domestic. Truth be told, I actually think the G8 is a great car, but people buy imports for much different reasons.

But here I would like to entertain some of your expert advise on the G8 GT versus Genesis Coupe argument.

1) Your claim of "100hp more" is actually only 55hp (361-306= 55).

2) Your claim of "200lbs less" is actually more in the 400lb+ less range. IIRC the G8 GT is right around 4000 lb curb weight with the V6 Genesis coupe around 3550.

3) And last but not least my favorite, "Oh, and it costs more". I just went on Pontiac's website and the G8 GT MSRP started around 29k, which is 4k more than the 25k which the 3.8L Genesis coupe starts at. In fact it actually starts off 4k less.

And a 29k G8GT is probably a ~$575/month payment for whatever terms you used to calculate the 440/month genesis. But it would be funny when you go to the track and the PC Pro School dropout ran circles around a bunch of cars in a Hyundai with a few bolt ons.

My guess is that the Genesis coupe does pretty well, but hey only time will tell.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I tree'd ya.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post

2. 306 hp of the 3.8 is NOT 100 hp less than the 361hp v8 of the GT's 6.0 v8, but 55 less. Which, btw, is less than the hyundai's 4.6's v8 of 376hp.

3. A genesis 3.8 w/ six speed starts at 26,000...LESS than a 2009 G8 GT 31+G starting price.

4. This thread is about the genesis coupe, not the sedan...two wholly different cars and demographic appeals. Reading the thread and not simply reacting to the title might be considered prudent in the future...hell, even just looking at the pictures would have put you WAY ahead here
    You are too fast with your replies!

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    I tree'd ya.
    FUCK... twice!

Blog Entries
    I was going to go for three...but figured I'd go easy on ya, lol...
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

Powned!!

Quote Originally Posted by turbogarrett View Post
    Liked it until I saw the curb weight Hopefully the 3450 figure is for the fully optioned auto v6.
    Curbs are heavy.

3450lbs is for the 4 banger strip model. The V6 *starts* at 3600lbs. The V6 G8 is 3800lbs and is a SUBSTANTIALLY bigger car. It's more than a foot longer, an inch wider, and like 3 or 4 inches taller.

3450/212 (strip model Genesis coupe = 16.27lbs/hp
    3850/256 (strip model G8) = 15.09lbs/hp
    5200/367 (Silverado LTZ extended cab 5.5' box 4x4 with a L76) = 14.16lbs/hp

The point is that the G8 is a fat car (but not as fat as a Charger) and the Hyundai, for having two fewer doors and a foot less sheetmetal is no spring chicken.

I admit, I exaggerated at the 100hp.

I'll take the L76 with 361@5400 and 375lbft@4400 over the 310@6000 and 263lbft@4700 Hyundai SpinToWin 3.8L.

Heck, the bargain basement 3.6L in the G8 makes 255@6200 and 252lbft@3100 rpm

Or, spend a couple bucks more and get the direct-injected 3.6L with 302@6300 and 272lbft@5200.

LS3 and 415hp.

For an apples to apples comparison (the track model with the slushbox) the Hyundai starts at $31k (The 2009 G8 base starts at $28k and the G8 GT starts at $32k according to the pricing schedules updated yesterday I just looked at).

Besides, what they sticker at and what they sell for are two different things. We have a member that just recently bought a G8. They didn't pay $31k but I'm sure you're not going to get a penny off a Genesis.

There is a valid comparison here. Buy the Silverado.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
    And a 29k G8GT is probably a ~$575/month payment for whatever terms you used to calculate the 440/month genesis. But it would be funny when you go to the track and the PC Pro School dropout ran circles around a bunch of cars in a Hyundai with a few bolt ons.
    I used $20/$1000 financed for 5 years. So it'd be more like $600/month for the G8.

Why is everything "with a few boltons"? Have you seen GM's J1349 SAE dyno sheets? Does Hyundai even submit to J1349?

How about $700 for hptuners or EFIlive and just about any GM vehicle?

Oh, wait. I forgot. This is like the classic ricer mantra. They go to a autocross and say their car is set up for drag racing when they fail. Then when they go to a strip they say their car is set up for autocross when they fail.

Most people, when they have a warranty and a financed vehicle... they don't do much to them.

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    Wow, slow down there. Take your own advise and compare apples to apples.

We were comparing your "high end" G8 GT to the "high end" V6 Genesis coupe.

Weight:
    3450lbs is for the 4 banger strip model. The V6 *starts* at 3600lbs. The V6 G8 is 3800lbs and is a SUBSTANTIALLY bigger car. It's more than a foot longer, an inch wider, and like 3 or 4 inches taller.

3450/212 (strip model Genesis coupe = 16.27lbs/hp
    3850/256 (strip model G8) = 15.09lbs/hp
    5200/367 (Silverado LTZ extended cab 5.5' box 4x4 with a L76) = 14.16lbs/hp
    Genesis curb weight: 3549lb.
    G8GT Curb weight: 3995lb.
    Difference = 3995 - 3549 = 446 lbs.
    Sources:
    http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...3/pageNumber=2
    http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/11/2...art-at-22-000/

Price:
    For an apples to apples comparison (the track model with the slushbox) the Hyundai starts at $31k (The 2009 G8 base starts at $28k and the G8 GT starts at $32k according to the pricing schedules updated yesterday I just looked at).

Besides, what they sticker at and what they sell for are two different things. We have a member that just recently bought a G8. They didn't pay $31k but I'm sure you're not going to get a penny off a Genesis.
    An optioned TO THE BRIMS Genesis coupe is 31k. The base model is 25k.. That is a FACT. Many people buying a performance car actually WANT a manual which they down even offer for the G8 GT.

The G8 GT starts at 29k, even though most tested (with likely less options that the to-the-brims Genesis) were around 33k-34k.

The fact remains for the same options the Genesis is around 4k less.

Sources:
    Same links as already posted within this thread.

HAHA. MSRP on a Hyundai makes me laugh. They might sell at MSRP for like a few months, and that's only if people really think it is something special. Hyundai will just pump those Genesis coupes out as much as need be. I HIGHLY doubt you will be paying MSRP on a Hyundai just like you wont pay MSRP on the G8.

Modding/Aftermarket:
    Why is everything "with a few boltons"? Have you seen GM's J1349 SAE dyno sheets? Does Hyundai even submit to J1349?

How about $700 for hptuners or EFIlive and just about any GM vehicle?

Most people, when they have a warranty and a financed vehicle... they don't do much to them.
    I can not speak to Hyundai's adherence to J1349, because I simply do not know. We will know more once it has some performance tests done, it is as simple as that.

Everything is "with a few boltons" because that is what people in the import world do. You would be EXTEREMLY hard pressed to find a stock evo. People buy those things and pretty much drive them to the local speed shop. When you have a 2.0t RWD car that starts at 22k, that will leave a lot of cash for modifications.

And what about the what, less than $100, open ECU flashing for the EVO?

Oh, wait. I forgot. This is like the classic ricer mantra. They go to a autocross and say their car is set up for drag racing when they fail. Then when they go to a strip they say their car is set up for autocross when they fail.
    Imports are typically more rounded cars, and American cars typically go better in a straight line. So?!

I'll bet my ricer could wax most cars on this site. American, German, Japanese, Italian, etc. And it will do it on a road coarse or a drag strip (even though it's definately not setup for an auto-x, it would probably do it there as well). That's my ricer mantra.

Wow, slow down there. Take your own advise and compare apples to apples.

We were comparing your "high end" G8 GT to the "high end" V6 Genesis coupe.

Weight:
    Genesis curb weight: 3549lb.
    G8GT Curb weight: 3995lb.
    Difference = 3995 - 3549 = 446 lbs.
    Sources:
    http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...3/pageNumber=2
    http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/11/2...art-at-22-000/
    3995/361 (G8GT) = 11.06 lb/hp
    3995/415 (G8 GXP) = 9.62 lb/hp
    3549/310 (Screamin' cheetah Genesis) = 11.44 lb/hp

Price:
    An optioned TO THE BRIMS Genesis coupe is 31k. The base model is 25k.. That is a FACT. Many people buying a performance car actually WANT a manual which they down even offer for the G8 GT.

The G8 GT starts at 29k, even though most tested (with likely less options that the to-the-brims Genesis) were around 33k-34k.

The fact remains for the same options the Genesis is around 4k less.
    2009 G8:
    Base: $28,190 + $685 destination
    GT: $31,555 + $685 destination
    GXP: $37,610 + $685 destination

Options:
    Premium Base = $1,375
    Premium GT = $1,250
    Comfort & Sound Base = $795
    Sport Package GT = $600
    Power Sunroof = $900
    6 Speed Manual Transmission = $695

I'd have to look to see if they really had the same options (other than engine per dollar).

HAHA. MSRP on a Hyundai makes me laugh. They might sell at MSRP for like a few months, and that's only if people really think it is something special. Hyundai will just pump those Genesis coupes out as much as need be. I HIGHLY doubt you will be paying MSRP on a Hyundai just like you wont pay MSRP on the G8.
    When I was at Boucher they didn't want to deal on a Hyundai. All they would do is the current rebates. Which for a long time was a max of like $1500 on a Sante Fe or $500 on a Tiburon.

Imports are typically more rounded cars, and American cars typically go better in a straight line. So?!
    I think that's more of a yesteryear thing. I suspect the CTS, even though it's $36k, will probably be in the same performance world as a Genesis... but it'll do it with the power butt wiper package on.

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    nice to see wrath turned this thread into a gm nutswinging thread.....
    00 cbr 929 RR