Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Yellow Tie Fighter

So what does everyone think of the Genesis Coupe?

IMO the Genesis coupe is a big step in the right direction for the import world.

There is finally a low(er) cost RWD turbo solution again! And suprisingly enough it will be coming from Hyundai

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/11/2...art-at-22-000/

Looks like it will come in either a 6 speed manual or a 5 speed at. And will have either the 2.0T or a 3.8L v6. The base manual 2.0T starts in at only 22k and makes I think 210 horse, while the 3.8L v6 starts at only 25k with a manual and makes 306 horse.

Honestly the most impressive part of the car you find when you read between the lines. Hyundai shares the "world engine" with chrysler/mitsu. So the 2.0l turbo in the Genesis coupe will almost surely share the block with the EVO X, the 4b11. Likely it will share the short or lockblock as well. Rumor has it the horsepower is just tuned down with some combination of a smaller turbo, cams, intercooler, and PCM tune of course. If this is true this means getting a RWD, 300+ whp, 30-mpg car should be cake walk, and for cheap!

IMO the "tuner-ready" R-spec 2.0l is going to be a great deal at a base of 23.7k. Its basically the standard Genesis coupe with the following big ticket items added:
    19" rims with some decent Potenza's. Torsion LSD , Big brembo brakes.

Only down side I really found to the car is that it's curb weight even for the 2.0t is something like 3450. Which isn't exactly light, but then again not too bad.

Discuss

Last edited by WhatsADSM; 02-17-2009 at 10:06 AM.

I like it....alot in fact....

i just can't get past the Hyundai name..

maybe once it is out i can have a better thought on it.

but as of now it's promising.
    Quote Originally Posted by 88Nightmare
    its always winter on bcm!

Saw a couple at the auto show, they didn't seem too bad. I couldn't rip parts of the dash off any of the Hyundais anymore
    -Tyler

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    i don't like, usually when they make a 2 door version of a car, they try to make it look similar to the car? wasn't this car a tiburon like 3 years ago?? and imo they have been copying a 15 year old design

Damn....Looks alot like a Silvia. Even the motor looks like a SR....The front is ugly(unlike a silvia), but love the sides and back.

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    i would seriously think about buying one
    00 cbr 929 RR

\/ What amazing looks like \/
    is that a plastic valve cover?

I think they had a yellow one on commercial durring the superbowl doing some drifting looks kinda cool I like it but the Hyundai name makes me lose a little intrest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiV0B...eature=channel
    Last edited by xxtremeteam; 02-17-2009 at 04:19 PM. Reason: found video
    EMT/Fire fighters- " this ain’t a job. It ain’t an occupation. It’s a calling. A need. A desire that you feel in your bones and your brains and your nut-sack."Tommy Gavin(Denis Leary)

Boost went where again? Silver86's Avatar

i dig it.
    - 86' rx7 - 06' mustang GT - 04' xterra SE -

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
    Honestly the most impressive part of the car you find when you read between the lines. Hyundai shares the "world engine" with chrysler/mitsu. So the 2.0l turbo in the Genesis coupe will almost surely share the block with the EVO X, the 4b11. Likely it will share the short or lockblock as well.
    lol...tell that to the some die-hard evoX guys, and they'll look to pistol-whip you.

Basically, how it works out with the 'world engines' is this:

Blocks are basically the same...minor differences occur due to each automaker making different cooling/oiling mods to the same basic block for different applications.

Cranks are similar-effectively the same b/w same displacements.

Rods/pistons, pretty similar...though different vendors are involved. Saw an EvoX rod juxtaposed with a Hyundai rod for, and the hyundai looked a little beefier.

Pistons again are different with the different makes...the SRT's use a piston for a 2.4, and use a special, high strength casting...while the 4b11 and hyundai use more traditional forgings.

Heads on all are pretty much the same...they'll use different valves with minor size variations.

Cams and valvetrain are fairly unique...as well as the variable valve timing systems used by each maker. Not sure if there is interhangeability on the cams.

Intake and exhaust manifolds are also unique b/w makers...again, suited to the needs of the vehicles they may find themselves in and what kind of packaging/powerband characteristics may suit the platforms the best.

Not sure what turbo the 2.0t will use though.

As to the car, I love it. Don't care that it's a Hyundai...they've come a LONG way since the late 80's and through the 90's. The style of the car is a blatant copy of the nicer/sportier G37 coupe, but who cares? It looks pretty decent! Long hood, short deck are always a good thing in my book. Though I will say I don't like the car in some colors (yellow/blue come to mind). Maybe a gunmetal grey/charcoal would look best?

I'd go for the 2.0 personally...better sound, and easy potential increases in performance. If I wanted an auto, I'd go with the 6.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post
    lol...tell that to the some die-hard evoX guys, and they'll look to pistol-whip you.

Basically, how it works out with the 'world engines' is this:

Blocks are basically the same...minor differences occur due to each automaker making different cooling/oiling mods to the same basic block for different applications.

Cranks are similar-effectively the same b/w same displacements.

Rods/pistons, pretty similar...though different vendors are involved. Saw an EvoX rod juxtaposed with a Hyundai rod for, and the hyundai looked a little beefier.

Pistons again are different with the different makes...the SRT's use a piston for a 2.4, and use a special, high strength casting...while the 4b11 and hyundai use more traditional forgings.

Heads on all are pretty much the same...they'll use different valves with minor size variations.

Cams and valvetrain are fairly unique...as well as the variable valve timing systems used by each maker. Not sure if there is interhangeability on the cams.

Intake and exhaust manifolds are also unique b/w makers...again, suited to the needs of the vehicles they may find themselves in and what kind of packaging/powerband characteristics may suit the platforms the best.

Not sure what turbo the 2.0t will use though.

As to the car, I love it. Don't care that it's a Hyundai...they've come a LONG way since the late 80's and through the 90's. The style of the car is a blatant copy of the nicer/sportier G37 coupe, but who cares? It looks pretty decent! Long hood, short deck are always a good thing in my book. Though I will say I don't like the car in some colors (yellow/blue come to mind). Maybe a gunmetal grey/charcoal would look best?

I'd go for the 2.0 personally...better sound, and easy potential increases in performance. If I wanted an auto, I'd go with the 6.
    Yea I was a bit careful in my wording... by saying it would share the block. Until someone really rips apart the actual 2.0t to see how the internals will hold up it's really all speculation. But the engineering is definately shared between the engines, and as you mentioned the potential will certainly be there. Can't wait to see what the aftermarket has in store.

Yea I do find it funny how Hyundai clearly ripped off the G37. The rear end is almost a spitting image.

turt mcgurt - zenki master TURTLE's Avatar
    i'm not one for the styling, but the performance out of the box and the potential to go much faster speaks for itself...

the industry needed this car right now... plain and simple...

on a side note, i'd rather have seen the dodge razor or the demon concepts...
    -josh

'02 Neon ES(ACR/T) - R.I.P. 1-18-08
    '97 Neon Sport(track slut) - axles and brakes v2.0
    '98 Neon R/T sedan(DD) - "artie"
    "Speak softly, and carry a big stick" - Teddy Roosevelt

Post whore
    Im a huge fan of them, wish they would have been able to fit an inline 6. Drivetrain loss will kill that lil four banger at that curb weight, but who knows. Def. would consider purchasing one.
    Just a ten second neon

Not too long ago you would bet Hyundai would pull out
    or be a sideline like Dawoo or Kia in the states.

Now here we are with the big three sitting on shaky
    ground the Hyundai people are flying along under the
    radar building 300+ HP 4DR luxo boats and RWD turbo
    coupes....wow.

"Hi Im Russ and Im a closet Hyundai fan"
    (the quiet voice from under the brown paper bag)
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

Hey if your drinking like me...ok not that much but try this:

Squint your eyes and picture a 3 side Mercedez Benz logo
    on the grill and decklid...didnt work? Drink another and try
    again it looks cool when you get it!
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

I've been keeping up with the Development of this car ever since Hyundai first announced it.

They've turned me into a huge fan. The styling of the Sedan and Coupe are lightyears better then anything they've ever had in their history.

Now that Nissan has supposedly canceled the SX, once I get a job I may be taking my money to Hyundai to sooth my RWD coupe needs.

Race Transmission Rebuilder twicks69's Avatar
    It is NOT using the 4B11 platform. It is 2-liter, and is produced by the same casting manufacturer as the 4B11 -- that is it.

It is a very stout platform and the 4-banger-turbo with the 6-speed track version is an awesome price for a very cool car that will be carrying a very heavy backing of aftermarket parts. The engine is also capable of supporting much more HP than stock in the stock form (head and block are really nice pieces).

You can learn alot more on Buschur Racing's forums regarding the Genesis coupe, as they do have coverage of Rhys Millen's Hyundai Genesis coupe Drift Car that is putting down over 400whp.
    Tim Zimmer
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    9.49@148mph, street trim.
    ----------------------------
    2005 Subaru Outback Limited
    -- Winter Beater --

I like it, love the styling of it also. I would like to test drive one for sh*ts and giggles
    ----------------------------
    Time to use common sense!

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    Nice looking car. I'd take a black one in the track version.
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

I'll take one in blue please.
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ndegroot2
    Twitter: http://http://twitter.com/deggyfresh
    PS3 name: deggyfresh

98 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x2 - Still ready for some snow drags.