Thread: Need a tuner?

Need a tuner?

My friend has and 05 mustang gt and he is going to be getting gears put in and a short throw shifter. He is being told he needs to purchase a tuner as well. Is this just for the speedo to be corrected or is there another reason he needs one?

Brew City Muscle Original!!! Stangman98's Avatar
    Where is your friend located?
    In Progress
    604BBF/TH400/Radials

He lives in MN.

Unfortunately I can't think of anyone in the cities area off the top of my head. I can check around though.
    In Progress
    604BBF/TH400/Radials

He talked to a speed shop up around the twin cities and the guy said that he needs one also he talked to the dealership and they said they could do it as well but they also said he would need a hand held tuner. He isn't sure yet who is going to do it. He is just ordering the stuff now and he's trying to figure out if he really needs one or not.

2005+ Mustangs have a reflashable ECM through the OBDII port. The hand helds, hold the factory tune and upload the "aftermarket" tune. All the hand helds (SCT, SuperChips, DiabloSport) have the ability to tweak the tune, weather factory or aftermarket.

I found the C&L Racer Intake and DiabloSport tuner to be a very low cost and effective mod for the Mustangs. I had (2) 2006 Mustangs and it made a large difference in both the stick and auto cars.

If your friend has any doubt, he definitely wants this tuner. We got 3 mpg out of the tune and about 23 HP at the wheels. The throttle response was much better and the rev limiter can be moved to 6500 safely, which helps stay in the power band as you run through the gears.

If he wants, have him check out my website (in signature) and he can e-mail me with questions.

I have torn this car apart and done hella research on just about everything out there for the 2005-2009 models. I sold our auto Vert last year and now it's time to start putting bigger mods into my manual coupe.

Depending on which direction your friend is going with this vehicle, there are advantages to SCT and DiabloSport. I know C&M Performance, "Marv" uses SCT due to some advantages with the drive-by-wire throttle systems and tunability. For a basic plug-n-play (do it yourself) application, I recommend getting a DiabloSport setup from RPMOutlet.com.
    If you do the package deal with the underdrive pulley, you can end up with about 301 Hp at the wheels which is a good amount on the stock width tires. This will put you in the low 13s in the quarter mile at about 103 MPH.

Thanks for the info. I guess I just found it hard to believe that not even the dealer can adjust his speedo for him. I think he needs some sort or tune anyway being that he has a CAI. I don't know mustangs at all but heard that the s197 pretty much need a tune with any work done though I could be wrong.

Thanks for all the help!

I would recommend SCT for all tuning. I can't stand the Diablo Sport at all. As far as RPMoulet, that's a place that I would never buy anything from. Tell him if he is going to get a tuner get it from a quality Modular tuning shop such as Modular Depot. I am sure Ken can get you a "canned tune" for whatever your buddy needs.
    In Progress
    604BBF/TH400/Radials

I am geting my gears/sct xcal3 tuner as a package deal from americanmuscle.com for just over 500 bucks, nice package too since you will be paying over 600 if you got them seperate....
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutwaver View Post
    I am geting my gears/sct xcal3 tuner as a package deal from americanmuscle.com for just over 500 bucks, nice package too since you will be paying over 600 if you got them seperate....
    American Muscle rocks. I bought my wheels and tires from them. Good prices, fast and free shipping. Also, they have a Military discount. That covered the cost of my lug nuts, wheel locks and center caps.

Kinda going off in a diff direction here, any guys with experience with 05 + step in and correct me if im wrong...

I start on these things next month, wish me luck lol!!! From what ive read SCT tuners doesnt even allow access to the ETC commands due to it being so easy to make the car "run away" if you dont know what your doing and fat finger settings, the HPT software allows access to all the ETC commands which there is only one area your supposed to mess with to aid in responce.

This Ford EFI system deff has a diff way of skinning the cat for sure compared to GM. It appears everything is done by the MAF from part throttle to WOT fueling, A true maf system explains it best where GM uses it as an on the fly fine tuning adjustment. Timing tables are odd to figure out too... Maybe its just too simple for me to understand?
    Last edited by BAD LS1; 02-17-2009 at 11:20 AM.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutwaver View Post
    That is where he is getting them from Nick.

Danielle... times change. Poncho's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Z28Envy View Post
    Thanks for the info. I guess I just found it hard to believe that not even the dealer can adjust his speedo for him. I think he needs some sort or tune anyway being that he has a CAI. I don't know mustangs at all but heard that the s197 pretty much need a tune with any work done though I could be wrong.

Thanks for all the help!
    indeed they do. It's cuz the maf is integrated into the intake piping, and every intake out there except for like one use bigger tubing. For this reason I couldn't run a CAI on our '06 without a tune. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Envy View Post
    That is where he is getting them from Nick.
    Good deal, and trust me, I havent found it cheaper anywhere else.....and I have nothing to do all day between customers besides look at shit for my mustang lol. It also seems easy to load and go with the sct tuner that you get from them, as that part is preprogramed for you (you can change it later)
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.

BCM Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Stangman98 View Post
    I would recommend SCT for all tuning.

I have a SCT flipchip on my '94 GT and absolutely love it. Allows me to run one tune for NA and another for my nitrous. Mine was tuned by Speedkey Perf. in Madison if your friend wants to drive.
    Support your local sanctioned tracks!!