Thread: Stick or auto?

Stick or auto?

I mite be selling a trans I have. The Fox will be around 600 RW on one gun, and a street/strip car. I have a C4 and Brake but the trans is a built 5 speed. What would you do?
    If a hammer,crescent wrench,duct tape, or JB Weld can't fix it........Its gotta be a electrical problem

i have been batteling the same issue..... i opted to go with an auto,,,,,, only because at that hp the auto should be faster
    70 cutlass 442- dads car
    95 stang- Stock long block 195,XXX miles
    03 XC600 - bone stock (still faster then smokin ram)
    03 Polaris predator- 4.250 bore (assembly required)
    84- 4 eyed

If you want big dyno numbers keep the stick, if you want to win races, hook up the auto.

I vote for the 5 speed. I understand the other opinons, but I think stick is more fun to drive a race with.
    500 miles is a trip,1320 feet is a race

BCM Cruiser
    I love having a stick in a street car, but for consistancy on the track you can't beat an auto.

If it's more of a track car then go with the auto, if your only rarely gonna race it then stay with a stick.
    Support your local sanctioned tracks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector13 View Post
    I love having a stick in a street car, but for consistancy on the track you can't beat an auto.

If it's more of a track car then go with the auto, if your only rarely gonna race it then stay with a stick.

Post whore
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector13 View Post

x2

I'm a fan of stick but then again I do luuuuuuuuve 2nd gear burnouts..

It also depends on what kind of racing he is going to be doing....if he is going to be running it at a road course go with the 5 speed, at the drag strip do the auto....a little of both, well that is harder, however at the power level, I would say auto...this isnt the car I am suposed to race is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprayaway Fox View Post
    I mite be selling a trans I have. The Fox will be around 600 RW on one gun, and a street/strip car. I have a C4 and Brake but the trans is a built 5 speed. What would you do?
    How built is the 5 speed? Can it stand full-on pedal to the floor powershifts on the gun?? What size tire? Are you willing to spend the time to reap the rewards with a stick? What is done to the suspension? The C-4 takes alot of science out of it because it won't hit as hard, so it is more forgiving to stock suspensions and tire limitations. The auto is also the "easy route", but I disagree with the statements that autos are faster. I have a 'glide in my car because I would have to do major surgery to put my Liberty in it, but I guarantee it would be faster. I will tell you from experience that since you have the C-4 it would be the best and most fool-proof for your combo, but ANY Ford auto trans is NOT the "best choice" in a drag application, that is if you are starting with nothing and have a choice Yes. DR.FORD knows Ford autos suck!!
    "Never underestimate old guys"

Quote Originally Posted by DR.FORD View Post
    How built is the 5 speed? Can it stand full-on pedal to the floor powershifts on the gun?? What size tire? Are you willing to spend the time to reap the rewards with a stick? What is done to the suspension?
    Its a TKO 600 MMR 900, 26 inch tall tire on a 17'' MT DR most of the time but will be slicked up once in a while with 3.73's. Car is a stock suspended stang with coilovers all the way around.

Trying to keep it a lowkey look with the 17's on it. Thats another reason why thinking of putting the stick in it.
    If a hammer,crescent wrench,duct tape, or JB Weld can't fix it........Its gotta be a electrical problem

Quote Originally Posted by Nutwaver View Post
    this isnt the car I am suposed to race is it?
    No its not, you have the white one. I wouldnt want to run this slow bucket against your HOT ROD.
    I'm putting my orange one back to PG NA hopefully if shaping heads for people slows down. Someone wants my C4 so I have a TKO 600 that will be sitting in the garage and been staring at it since I have all the parts to swap it.
    Last edited by Sprayaway Fox; 02-13-2009 at 01:22 PM.

If it was my money, I would dog ring the TKO and put a good aluminum flywheel and clutch combo in front of it. Then adj the suspension until the car works. I've never been a click click fan.

Thinking the stick get the knod for me. It not a dedicated drag car. Ill work out the suspension when I get some track time.

Thats the trans i wanted (mmr version) but when i came across the deal i did, i couldnt pass it up.

However, we should be a good race with you off the silly stuff. I have a junk suspension setup, but it will work untill next winter.
    Last edited by Smokey1226; 02-14-2009 at 01:01 AM.
    "If you keep feeding a lion, then run out of food, you're the food.."

Sheesh, me off the silly stuff and Ill be making 200RWP. Nitrous makes anybody a drag racer nowadayz.

Those are the same options I am weighing right now. Decided to stick with the 5spd until it comes apart then build a Gforce for the car.
    My car will hardly ever see a dragstrip, mostly autocross.

Disappointing women since 1970.
    Love you Mom

want to make me a deal on your C4 then if you go with stick?
    70 cutlass 442- dads car
    95 stang- Stock long block 195,XXX miles
    03 XC600 - bone stock (still faster then smokin ram)
    03 Polaris predator- 4.250 bore (assembly required)
    84- 4 eyed

Depends if my bud still wants it. Ill ask him 2 morra when hes over. Ill have to look in all my reciepts to see what the guts and converter are again. I will let you know though.