Senior Member..now yer posting! Troutman's Avatar

Sound deadening/insulation?

ive grown slightly tired of driving around in a tin can, and have decided to lay down some sound deadening/ insulation in car. (i removed all the OE stuff in search of rust, and what not)

so for those that have used it, what do you recommend?

thanks

\/ What amazing looks like \/
    dyno mat.. its expensive but it works

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    Funny you ask, I am doing this to my car now. Just to quiet it up a bit for daily driving.

There is a great article here about the different brands and how they work: http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

The cliff notes is that you want a butyl-based material (as opposed to the cheap asphalt stuff). And from there it depends primarily on the thickness. I ended up going with RAMMatt BXT which was basically the value based higher-end product. So far been pretty happy with it. I am also going to be laying down a little bit of ensolyte (an air-borne sound insulation foam) on top of the RAMMAtt.

Something that is light weight and inexpensive is padding for under the carpet you put in the house. I put it in my 300zx and wow what a difference it made. I went to a carpet store they had a ton of scraps and got it for free
    ----------------------------
    Time to use common sense!

Oh yeah by the way I love your car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ----------------------------
    Time to use common sense!

I used Dynamat, Take the headliner down and do the roof. It makes a HUGE difference I think that quieted it down more than doing the floor and the doors.
    Owner of Sunset Self Storage LLC. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED STORAGE. 24/7 access. No Contract length. Self Storage/Portable Storage/Vehicle Transport
    Thanks, Brad 262.751.9439

09 Cadillac CTS V Has some stuff done...
    05 Chevy Duramax: Best time in 4wd was 12.22 @ 108
    99 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic: Big Bore, Cams, tune.

I used fatmat for my entire interior and it worked well and was easy to apply. There is some really good stuff that you paint on and its blue in color that is supposed to be awesome. I cant remember the name right now.

that stuff you use for carpeting and flashing for roofs sucks compared to a good deadner plus you dont have to deal with the harsh chemical smell that lasts days.
    I offer online scheduling using BookFresh

\/ What amazing looks like \/
    i have a friend who used a product called redgaurd. its really meant for water proofing showers before you install tile on them. its a liquid rubber sealent.you can spray it on with a hopper or paint it on with a roller. it seemed to do the job very well. he dyno matted floors and hard to reach spots, the roof and the trunk he used red guard .

Senior Member..now yer posting! Troutman's Avatar
    thanks for all the info