BCM Cruiser

holley vs. demon

I'm looking at either getting a holley 750 dp and add some stuff to it or the mighty demon 750. from some of the things I found was that demon had problems a few years ago but that is it. are they much more reliable now? on the other hand holley has a lot of aftermarket. what do you guys think

I had a speed demon 750 back in 2003 and I can say it was the best carb I ever had. Crisper throttle than my double pumper plus it can pull in 20% more air than it advertises. The four corner idle is kind of different but when you get into it it is slick. Plus it looks better than a holley and if you resell it you usually get a lil more.
    If a hammer,crescent wrench,duct tape, or JB Weld can't fix it........Its gotta be a electrical problem

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    never a problem with my Holley DP
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I recall much of the banter about Speed Demon's problems a couple years back....haven't heard anything new. Basically they work via the same principles. I say go with whichever seems to give you the best price.

I've always liked the holley's I've had...DP's or otherwise; heck, I even like my eddies....
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Breecher_7
    Just buy a holley...

If you want to spend alot of money though, call pro systems and get the best!

I have seen firsthand a couple of brand new Demons come out of the box with aluminum shavings inside the bowls, the main body, etc. They used to be famous for that and apparantly things havent changed as this was as recent as last summer, my buddy knew before doing anything else, to take them apart and clean, and sure enough, shavings.

You may want to check out Quick Fuel's pricing, as I found them to be right in line with box stock Holleys except QFT will set them up for you, mine was almost dead on and has all teh same features as the Holley HP but for much cheaper.

Once the Demon is cleaned out they are supposed to be just as good as the Holleys from what Ive heard. You will find BG loyalists and Holley fans, ask 10 guys get 12 different opinions.

go box stock holley,or call me for an aerosal c&s carb custom tailored to your combo.
    the aerosal is very crisp to drive and instant throttle response.
    Check out our NEW online store!
    http://store.clocksoffracing.com/

BCM Cruiser
    sounds like a crap shoot for me. I wonder why they still have shavings ending up in the bowls.

Poor QC. Like I said, that was this past summer, so who knows.

I've had/worked on several of both brands and I'd have to say that dollar for dollar, the Demon is the better carb. They both have pro's and cons.....but if you're on a budget, I'd give the Demon the nod for it's price, out of the box performance, cost, all machined parts (metering blocks, base plate), 4 corner idle, the "idle ease", clear sight plugs, and they have great customer service. I've heard about the metal shavings with the Demon's, but I've also seen sand left in emultion bleeds in the cast aluminum Holley metering blocks and the cast base plates warped over .050" out of the box. I've been running an E-85 Demon on my Malibu for about a year now and I have nothing but good things to say about it.
    2005 Chevy C1500 ECSB
    2008 Mustang GT 5-Speed Grocery Getter
    1979 Z28 4-Speed
    1996 XJ Cherokee

In your face, Space Coyote.... Voodoo Chick's Avatar
    DON'T GET A DEMON!!!!! They are horrible, horrible things. I could tell you horror stories about them. Go with a Holley. They are awesome.

BCM Cruiser
    I think I'm gonna start with the holley dp. When I'm ready and have the extra cash for new, I'll put the demon on and give it a run. Wouldn't they help correct the problems if I were to buy one and it comes with shavings in it?

Get a prosystems and call it a day
    "If you keep feeding a lion, then run out of food, you're the food.."

Buy the Holley
    500 miles is a trip,1320 feet is a race

Not to be taken serious Karps TA's Avatar
    If you don't know how to tune one, they all suck. That said I really like the features of the Demon I had over the Holley that it replaced. Just seemed like a better overall piece, like the glass lenses on the floatbowl. Just little stuff like that.
    Ex-Trans Am owner.