LS2 springs= hight lift vortecs?

Im looking at the Comp Cams Beehive springs a while back I bought for 300 bucks and there looking very simalar to a LS2 spring. The installed hieght is 1.8 and the pressure is around the same and will take as much lift as the comp cam spring.
    Does anybody have a LS spring laying around they can measure the ID and OD? Or if you have a junk stock spring and retainer I could have that would work also. All my searches come up dead. LS2 springs are 50 bucks and Comp Cams are 300 so could be a big payoff if is compatible. Any help would be apreciated, Im hitting a wall here for some reason.

Its for a factory roller 5.7 with 906's
    Last edited by Sprayaway Fox; 02-02-2009 at 02:51 AM.
    If a hammer,crescent wrench,duct tape, or JB Weld can't fix it........Its gotta be a electrical problem

300$?? DAMN. comp blue stripe 918's are really the only "beehive upgrade" for ls motors. ls6 springs are yellow and ls2's are natural finish and can take like .550 + lift or slightly better IIRC. its obvious the diff between the comp and stock ls type spring with the static height next to eachother and the coil width.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

Danielle... times change. Poncho's Avatar
    LS2's are also yellow, as far as I knew they were the same spring. Tom is correct .550 is the limit.

Ill have to check out the blue stripe 918's also but I know if I can do the .550 conversion cheaper than taken it in the but from comp agian ill give anything a shot

I have a set of sawtooth cast iron vortecs and you have to use beehives for lift over .475 or get the guides machined. Comp makes beehives that are "drop in" for LS1 cars that also fit the sawtooth vortec head to get the lift up to .550. When i was looking at both the yellow LS2's and the beehives there spring pressure,installed hieght, and could take the .550 lift was the same as the comp cam beehives. I also think the stock LS1 spring has a smaller dia then a 1.50 Gen 1 SBC (which cant be used on a vortec unless guides get machined).

The LS1 cars also use self align rockers and the valve tip sticks up more out of the retainer correct?
    The spring im looking at is the Duetwihler LS2 GM "yellow" spring

Just still doing research but the LS2 springs almost have the same specs as the Comp cams beehives seem to have the same specs but without the extra money. I also Doubt Comp made a special retooling spring just for the vortec upgrade so just checking these things out and they seem to have to many simalarities to not be the same spring.
    If it works this would be huge in the contrast of setting up sawtooth vortecs without getting taken in the ass by Comp again. I also called Comp today to get some specs and they sidestepped my ID and OD question and just told me there hive spring will for my vortec heads. Something sounds fishy to me. So thats why all the questions on a LS1 spring. Thanks guys
    Last edited by Sprayaway Fox; 02-02-2009 at 11:18 AM.
    If a hammer,crescent wrench,duct tape, or JB Weld can't fix it........Its gotta be a electrical problem

Still doing research yet but What you guys think?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Z06-C...Q5fAccessories
    Last edited by Sprayaway Fox; 02-02-2009 at 11:28 AM.

When i was looking into this for camming my vortec 4.3 S10, you needed a special seat and retainer for the LS spring? i may be all wrong, its been a year. Also i think there is something about the valve guide seals not fitting the LS beehive too, the LS motor's use a seat/seal combo thats deff smaller than the std valve guide seals that press on.

In the end so long as your install height matches that of a LS motor the spring came out of, you will have the full range of the lift capability. Anything thats smaller, your gonna find coil bind quickly...

Quote Originally Posted by Sprayaway Fox View Post
    Still doing research yet but What you guys think?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Z06-C...Q5fAccessories
    The comp one is gonna be better some how, whether is seat pressure or lift capacity, material etc... a 918 comp spring sitting static next to an LS6 spring like you pictured, the 918 stands a good 1/4" taller and has much wider spread coils.
    Last edited by BAD LS1; 02-02-2009 at 11:33 AM.

BCM Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by BAD LS1 View Post
    300$?? DAMN. comp blue stripe 918's are really the only "beehive upgrade" for ls motors.
    PAC 1518s are probably the ultimate in LSx beehives and will take .650" lift no problem (don't try that with Comp 918s )...But they ain't cheap.

LSx springs are ~1.250" OD, with most aftermarket drop-ins being around 1.280-1.290"...not sure of the LS6 spring ID (The Comp 918s are .885" at the base, .656" at the top"). Typical installed height is in the 1.800" ballpark. (mine are shimmed to 1.770") and typical coil bind being in the 1.050-1.100" range.

I'm sure I've got some stock LS1 springs, seats and retainers laying around here...if you want one to check for fitment, let me know, I could drop it in the mail.

What do you need for actual lift capacity?

Cam is a 510/520 lift factory hydro roller cam. Its nothing crazy. Seems like I might just look for a different set even though I got them to flow 230 at 28''. Seems like even the cheapie pro comps flow better.....Thanks for the visual BAD.....Damn was looking for the cheap silver bullet OE springs for these heads though and seems there isnt any.

Also thanks for the offer to send one to me but Im pretty sure I will be looking for a different head since this wont work.
    Last edited by Sprayaway Fox; 02-03-2009 at 12:31 AM.

Are the LS valves 3/8 just like regular Gen 1 SBC's if so does anybody have a set of stock retainers and locks layin around they want to sell?