Billy Glidden hanging up his helmet!!

In an interview recently Billy Glidden stated he will not be racing in 2009! Pissed off and bitter about not getting sponsorship after winning all but one race in 2008, he stated the situation as he sees it."I guess hard work and a championship winning team does not get sponsorship, you have to look good to the cameras and make promises". I personally think this is a perfect example of large corps shoving way too much money into teams most people cannot even begin to relate to. He also stated that "some people are better cooks than others, some are better bowlers than others, and some drag racers are better than others". I believe he is the elite, doing more with less than any other outlaw 10.5 team, and no matter the rule changes finds a way to work with them. In closing he said "even if the Fairy Sponsor Mother showed up there is not enough time to be ready for the first race. I will not be there in March". This is indeed a sad day when millions gets poured into Funny Car and Top Fuel racing than in what Real car people can relate to, but it has been happening for a very long time. Our future IS history, and he has a long line of it. Once again, corporate Ford has their head so far up their ass they can't breathe, and are missing out on a true champion. I'm sure there will be many very happy 10.5 outlaw teams (one in particular)celebrating now because the canted valve little Ford they could not better won't be there. Just think,with some money and the Big Shotgun engine program worked out, what they could be running!!
    Last edited by DR.FORD; 01-25-2009 at 10:22 AM.
    "Never underestimate old guys"

Very sad to say the least, he is truly one of the innovators of drag racing as we know it today. He also seems like a 'down to earth' kind of guy and I regret not meeting him when I had the chance to.....

Here's to a happy 'retirement' with many of these.....

Last edited by Car Guy; 01-25-2009 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DR.FORD View Post
    he stated the situation as he sees it."I guess hard work and a championship winning team does not get sponsorship,
    He's right. While every sponsor wants their guy to win, first and foremost they want to sell their product. And that's what they are really sponsoring. Billy is an awesome racer, and if winning races would guarantee selling product, then his own engine shop would be the wealthiest engine shop around. Then he could just sponsor himself. But it doesn't seem to work that way. Sponsors look for salesmen first, racers second. That is the harsh competitive reality of the corporate world. It's not for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Fuel Tom View Post
    He's right. While every sponsor wants their guy to win, first and foremost they want to sell their product. And that's what they are really sponsoring. Billy is an awesome racer, and if winning races would guarantee selling product, then his own engine shop would be the wealthiest engine shop around. Then he could just sponsor himself. But it doesn't seem to work that way. Sponsors look for salesmen first, racers second. That is the harsh competitive reality of the corporate world. It's not for everyone.
    Tom, that is why I said Ford has their head up their ass! What do they gain in selling product sponsoring Force??!!! What does Force sell for Ford? Top Fuel Mustangs??!!!!!!!!! I did not pose a question of if he is right or not. I just think Ford could sell more Mustangs because the Cars he could race at least LOOK LIKE Mustangs! I do know a thing or two about sponsorship Tom, remember I race-and DO get free parts to use and try!
    "Never underestimate old guys"

Quote Originally Posted by DR.FORD View Post
    Tom, that is why I said Ford has their head up their ass! What do they gain in selling product sponsoring Force??!!! What does Force sell for Ford? Top Fuel Mustangs??!!!!!!!!! I did not pose a question of if he is right or not. I just think Ford could sell more Mustangs because the Cars he could race at least LOOK LIKE Mustangs! I do know a thing or two about sponsorship Tom, remember I race-and DO get free parts to use and try!
    Jim, I'm agreeing with you. Just adding to what you were saying. If we want to talk Ford, Ford looks at Force as someone that gets a lot of face time on TV. They actually have people keeping track of the amount of TV time Ford is getting so they can calculate a return on their sponsorship dollar to justify their investment. Why do you think sponsors love Nascar so much? Hours of TV time and footage of their logo splashed all over a car going round and round in circles for everyone to see. Much cheaper than buying commercial time in the long run. Right or wrong, that's just the way it is in the corporate world. Sales first, racing second. And given the current economic times, that money is going to be harder and harder to get.

Brew City Muscle Original!!! Stangman98's Avatar
    Billy will be racing this. Someone will give him appearance fees. It's happened in the past. Someone somewhere will fork over some cash and you will see him at ADRL or NMRA/NMCA races. I hear this almost every year out of the Glidden camp and every year he is still at races.
    The reason that Ford puts some much into John Force is that he is the most recognizable person in drag racing period.
    As far as selling stuff, you are right, that is why Erica Enders is going to be in a Pro Stock Mustang this season. She is a great driver and she is beautiful. She can sell stuff. Billy is a great racer, but might not appeal as much to the corporate side of it.
    In Progress
    604BBF/TH400/Radials

This is the first Ive heard about Erica. Thats great news, cockeyed chicks are sexy!

Brew City Muscle Original!!! Stangman98's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by badass88gt View Post
    This is the first Ive heard about Erica. Thats great news, cockeyed chicks are sexy!
    She will be driving the DragStar Ford Mustang in NHRA Prostock this season. Running a full schedule
    In Progress
    604BBF/TH400/Radials

So where is she? Her name isnt on the Pomona entry list....