snowmobile pull start question

i didn't see a better place to put this thread so i hope a snowmobile question is welcome in here.

I went to start my '90 polaris indy 500 today and she started up on the first pull like always but this time the pull starter didn't recoil. is there a way to wind it back up without taking it apart?

thanks for your help in advance
    Winter Daily: 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Summer Daily: 2002 Mustang V-6

2006 roadking custom. KF 9000 Champion 0TransAm0's Avatar
    Hmm ive had the same problem on a mini bike and i ended up replaceing the recoil spring. my old sled would pull just fine and only about 2/3rds of the rope would go back in untill it was running....again i had to replace the recoil spring...

pretty easy job or no?

I don't think it'll be a problem in here at all.. but most snowmobiling questions end up here: http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/...splay.php?f=64

Any time I've had that problem, whether a go-kart, lawnmower, snowblower, etc.. It's the recoil spring. All depends on what exactly you're dealing with as far as difficulty, but overall it's never been that bad. Usually the idea of getting to use whatever it is again outweighs the little bit of work.
    98 Ranger 4.0 5spd 4x4 Ext Cab
    02 TLR

Senior Member..now yer posting! Trutildeathxxx's Avatar
    polaris recoils from that time frame are a pain in the ass, its a giant open spring, if you pull the recoil off and the spring goes flying, good luck is all i can say.
    06 hhr: dd
    FIT hawk: BMX bike
    custom made and modified: Fixed gear Road bike
    BOO YA BITCHES

awesome. can't wait. why cant somethings just work like they are supposed to?

Its a pain in the ass. youll spend at least 5 hours fuggin up your knuckles trying to get that spring in correctly... Pay the 30 bucks for a shop to do it, they have a tool for it plus youll have a new rope.
    If a hammer,crescent wrench,duct tape, or JB Weld can't fix it........Its gotta be a electrical problem

if youve done them before you can have it dont in 5 mins.... but usually when it gets to that point the cent spring is pretty much destroyed. in the senter the spring is looped to hook onto a stationaly pin. that looses its shape over time and usually wont hook to that pin any longer... best bet is to buy a new spring ($27 as of last year) and any dealer should be able to install it for no more then $35. if thats to much you can always try it yourself.!
    70 cutlass 442- dads car
    95 stang- Stock long block 195,XXX miles
    03 XC600 - bone stock (still faster then smokin ram)
    03 Polaris predator- 4.250 bore (assembly required)
    84- 4 eyed

i'll prolly just let suter's handle it. thanks for the info guys

I've had those springs in and out in about 30 min. I've even spent the time to rewind one its not that bad if you can get it off with out the spring coming out.
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner

i had my buddy who works at a polaris dealership come and do mine on my 04 polaris prox2 800. the first time the spring came apart and then it took a good 45 min. to get everything back together right. honestly, take it to the dealership, pay a few bucks, and be done with it.

Clinton
    70 challenger- JUST SITTING
    63 Dodge polara- 588 HEMI-1101 rwhp & 1090 rwtq. 8.07 @ 168
    99 Ram 4x4- slow DD
    The toys- 08 Polaris IQR 600RR and Polaris Predator 500 Cross Country

^ word
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner

Quote Originally Posted by bmatson View Post
    i didn't see a better place to put this thread so i hope a snowmobile question is welcome in here.

I went to start my '90 polaris indy 500 today and she started up on the first pull like always but this time the pull starter didn't recoil. is there a way to wind it back up without taking it apart?

thanks for your help in advance
    This is childs play. Don't be afraid.
    If the spring is broken you'll need to get a new one. If it's stuck in the pulled out position, clean the parts and use some light oil on it before putting it back together.
    1970 Chevelle SS
    2013 F150 SC 3.5 TT
    1975 CB400F
    2007 FLHTCU