Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ls1 people in here...

im looking for a set of forged pistons for my ls1 motor... im using stock rods, crank ect.... what do you recommmend and where should i look??? also im looking for a cam, something streetable and wil make decent power. good torque band and such.

thank you!
    '95 saturn < v8 GONE!
    '09 avalanche < tow rig
    '05 ion < DD
    '63 chevy ll < new project
    Some girls do want an 8 second ride

MS4 cams i hear are pretty streetable and have plenty o powa. When i get around to doing a cam in mine i'll probably be goig with a t-rex cam big mofo i don't care bout streetability lol pistons i'm not quite shure where to look i haven't looked that far into that yet. check Ls1techs list of sponsors tho
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner

well cheaper forged slugs you can go with speed pro forged pistons. It takes a bit of research to come up with a stock fit 3.898" pistons as everyone build pistons to a 3.905" and 6.125" -.945' pin conn rod. Stock is 6.100 and .927" wrist pin. most piston mfg's make pistons to work with stoc rods etc but expect about $700 to be the cost. if your looking for good low to mid nuts yet with a cam dont go over .600 lift and 23x for duration and keep the lsa around 114. if you plan to spray it go with something that is a reverse split with more duration to the exhaust side. Always a good idea to jump to double springs vs beehives if you can afford them, they will keep up if plans change in the future.
    Last edited by BAD LS1; 01-16-2009 at 10:25 PM.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

Quote Originally Posted by BAD LS1 View Post
    well cheaper forged slugs you can go with speed pro forged pistons. It takes a bit of research to come up with a stock fit 3.898" pistons as everyone build pistons to a 3.905" and 6.125" -.945' pin conn rod. Stock is 6.100 and .927" wrist pin. most piston mfg's make pistons to work with stoc rods etc but expect about $700 to be the cost. if your looking for good low to mid nuts yet with a cam dont go over .600 lift and 23x for duration and keep the lsa around 114. if you plan to spray it go with something that is a reverse split with more duration to the exhaust side. Always a good idea to jump to double springs vs beehives if you can afford them, they will keep up if plans change in the future.
    i was trying to find speedpros(used them befor and worked good for the price) and yea everywhere ivebeen looking forged pistons are between 600 and 800... which is to be expected. i think a ms4 cam would be a little to much cam for my desire! i just want a really fun street machine that makes good power all around... trying to shoot for 400whp.... any good internet sites to buy from???
    '95 saturn < v8 GONE!
    '09 avalanche < tow rig
    '05 ion < DD

wow... and i just noticed i mis-spelled "hear" its supposed to be "here"!
    '95 saturn < v8 GONE!
    '09 avalanche < tow rig
    '05 ion < DD

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    TSP Torquer 2 for the cam

2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

Quote Originally Posted by lilws6 View Post
    MS4 cams i hear are pretty streetable and have plenty o powa. When i get around to doing a cam in mine i'll probably be goig with a t-rex cam big mofo i don't care bout streetability lol pistons i'm not quite shure where to look i haven't looked that far into that yet. check Ls1techs list of sponsors tho
    LOL..... Your gonna love the t-rex!!!!! Works very good with nitrous or NA.... I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by sloLs1 View Post
    im looking for a set of forged pistons for my ls1 motor... im using stock rods, crank ect.... what do you recommmend and where should i look??? also im looking for a cam, something streetable and wil make decent power. good torque band and such.

thank you!
    What power adder are you using for the need for forged pistons? How much of the power adder are you going to be using? (Boost/Nitrous)

Breecher_7
    Id buy rods to as long as its apart.....

Quote Originally Posted by *SNOOP* View Post
    What power adder are you using for the need for forged pistons? How much of the power adder are you going to be using? (Boost/Nitrous)
    well i figure with a cam and supporting mods i want close to 400rwhp... then if thats not fast enough i have a nitrous kit that will be going on it as well, this isnt a drag car by any means but for the street and occassioanl track meets i would like an extra 100hp! i figure stock rods with arp bolts should hold togather...

Quote Originally Posted by Breecher_7 View Post
    Id buy rods to as long as its apart.....
    i dont have the money for that!!! otherwise id be throwing a set of heads on it too!

any other input or comments are appreaciated.... im not a ls1 know-it-all by any means!
    '95 saturn < v8 GONE!
    '09 avalanche < tow rig
    '05 ion < DD

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    jake why dont you just look for some good used stuff, save yourself some $ - ls1tech.com etc, there should be plenty of stuff for sale on there

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    ^ There was a green supra on there that made 600hp and ran a 12.7 too.

Rockauto also sells the speedpro pistons. I'm running Mahle pistons, ordered from texas speed.

1999 C5 TT street car - 901/881 on pump gas, 10.82@137mph
    2013 Denali Duramax

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    If you search LS1tech, you'll find a set of eagle rods for the price of a set of ARP rod bolts it seems. even if they are used for $200, it's no different than putting a set of stock rods that are used back in it. spend the $50 to have 'em checked out and good to go.

hell, you can find new in box stock pistons for dirt cheap on there too. just have to watch the classifieds.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-pa...d-pistons.html

see what I mean? $500 shipped for those?

Quote Originally Posted by Crawlin View Post
    If you search LS1tech, you'll find a set of eagle rods for the price of a set of ARP rod bolts it seems. even if they are used for $200, it's no different than putting a set of stock rods that are used back in it. spend the $50 to have 'em checked out and good to go.

hell, you can find new in box stock pistons for dirt cheap on there too. just have to watch the classifieds.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-pa...d-pistons.html

see what I mean? $500 shipped for those?
    x2 for ls1 tech with the economy the way it is ,there are good deals to be had

Quote Originally Posted by floaters View Post
    jake why dont you just look for some good used stuff, save yourself some $ - ls1tech.com etc, there should be plenty of stuff for sale on there
    im always on there but usually miss out on deals! also chitownracing has a lot ls1 stuff floatin around.....

i just dont like buying from out of state and having things shipped. i will only do local pickup. ive been fvcked once and do not want to get fvcked again! of course i will buy from a company but not an individual!

sooo once again im not looking for a crazy motor build. i guess if i could find a set of "cheap" as in price rods id buy them, but this is already turing into a money pit! trying to keep costs down so i can get this thing on the road for spring!
    '95 saturn < v8 GONE!
    '09 avalanche < tow rig
    '05 ion < DD

they always turn into a money pit, my tta is now a pit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by floaters View Post
    they always turn into a money pit, my tta is now a pit as well.
    yea... but mine isnt even a rolling chassis yet! lol all i have is a motor, trans, and a car to put those in... but the car is still a FWD 4cyl !
    '95 saturn < v8 GONE!
    '09 avalanche < tow rig
    '05 ion < DD