Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    sitting isnt necessarily considered developing. opinions will vary as do bung holes. If this kid doesnt make it happen next season then I would throw him to the wolves too but right now IMO too soon.

Just glad my team isnt going through this but regardless, I was ALWAYS a Steelers fan REGARDLESS of who was qb.
    I offer online scheduling using BookFresh

A Steelers fan? So what do you think of Terry Bradshaw's opinion?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/pgStory...&photo=9004050

I take birdshit personally.

Just a side question. Which of you have actually played sports at ANY level.
    Gee, how did I know this would be asked. Anytime someone questions intangibles it seems. I played baseball at a very competitive level, albiet only through High School. Football part of high school but gave up on it. Still play softball and other sports pretty regularly and competitively (played on the BCM softball team part of last year ). If you grew up in Wind Lake you probably went to my high school.

My point was intangibles are generally overrated. They are important but most times more is made of them than should be. Favre probably wouldn't of "willed" the Packers to victory. Maybe he would of, I doubt it. Pretty much every team has guys some or most don't like, win or lose. Winning solves, er covers most issues, if you struggle then crap comes to light. Theres plenty of teams who win with jerks all around and teams who win with a bunch of guys people like. Most teams I've been on the best player isn't everyones friend.

It is a good point about Favre playing in a new system, but like you point out Pennington had a career year with a new team. I'll blame Favres lack of success on joining the team right as pre-season began, his shoulder injury might of affected the end of the season and the fact he probably wasn't in top notch shape or ready for this season...not as much as a starting QB should be at his age anyway. I hope he returns, goes through the mini camp, training camp and has a good 09' then retires. He can still play but anyone expecting a repeat of 07' has wishful thinking. He had a few mediocre at best seasons leading up to 07' too.

It depends on the player, team, system, etc whether its better to sit or play right away as a QB, IMO. Plenty of players who've had success doing both. Lately there are plenty of rookies getting the nod and performing quite well. Smart players who play within themselves, plus teams feel can't afford to sit on a bonus baby too long to have a pricey backup.

What would people be saying had the defense and special teams done anything, I mean anything at the end of the games the last 4-5 games before the Lions? I don't recall a stretch when a team has had the lead or had the chance to take the lead (blocked field goal/Bears game) and blew it that often in that short of a span of games. Nobody would be questioning Rodgers, me thinks. And none of that was his fault or the offense.

If you think Favre would of won a couple more games then you should probably say he would of lost a couple too like he typically does with the fun 3-4 INT games.
    Last edited by PB86MCSS; 12-30-2008 at 04:59 PM.
    86' MCSS - 13.35 @103
    87' MCLS - 14.55 @96
    02' Regal GS - Who cares

Quote Originally Posted by TraceDaddy View Post
    A Steelers fan? So what do you think of Terry Bradshaw's opinion?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/pgStory...&photo=9004050

I like Terry but his OPINION is HIS not mine.

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yooformula View Post
    no playoffs and the guy he replaced kicked his a$s on the field and turned around a wasted team. every dolphin credits chad with turning their team around yet NOBODY says crap about Brett except maybe...damm another int?
    this goes against all youve said about A-rod and Favre,you said A-rod is awesome and that the team sucked on defense and offensive line,thats why they arent in the playoff,yet you thing chad pennington is the reason the dolphins are in the playoffs? it has nothing to do with the other good players they have or the awesome coach, You make no sense at all.

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

huh. I never liked that the jets tossed chad away to get brett and it ironic that with the playoffs on the line brett choked it up against the guy he replaced. my point about rodgers is basically the brett swingers comparing this 17 yr veteran to pretty much a rookie. everyone expected the world out of him, just not realistic. He may not be awesome but their record is not is fault and I say the failing defense in the 4th and in alot of cases the o line to give any sort of protection. sh!t batman ben isnt playing great this year and his line allowed 46 sacks but at least the dfense kept them in games and held the4th qtr like nobody else.

of course the entire team has everything to do with it but nobody was singing praises for brett on his new team. it was obvious in games that chad was their team leader and showed it having the same amount of time as brett to adjust.

the jets did better than last year with pennington,brett accomplished something,if he stays next year brett will do better. pennigton has the best coach in the league and a very good surrounding cast as well dolphins couldnt really go anywear but up this yeare either
    everyone here says oh brett isnt the packers they will do fine without him and A-rod is awesome,we that team has not changed much over the last year other than the QB,last year 13-3 and playoffs this year 6-10 Hmm

The Jets also added a few peices last off-season before Brett, that helped too.

The Packers record in the last 3 years of Favre: 4-12, 8-8, 13-3. So the 3 seasons before Rodgers Brett was the reason they sucked, the reason they were mediocre, the reason they did great? QB's and head coaches get too much blame and too much credit, with Favre I'll go out on a limb and say they would be between 5-11 and 7-9.
    86' MCSS - 13.35 @103
    87' MCLS - 14.55 @96
    02' Regal GS - Who cares

ok neither qb got into the playoffs so that leaves how they played the season. rodgers had more tds, less ints, more passing yrds and damm near the same comp as favre and when you compare qb rating his is ranked #6 as brett cant even be seen on the page. winning is everything right? neither got to the post season so who sucked more? yeah this years record is worse than last year but last year had a veteran running HIS offense, new guy record is worse but first time playing. really cant compare.

more credit should be given to rodgers and chad having worked in the same sitaution as brett as they had more to overcome. yet thats not the case.

how the hell cna you say that? Bret went to a team he never played with 1 week before the season started,he had to relearn a whole new never practiced with them. Rodgers knows the playbook and players and practiced with them,he was farther ahead than favre but favre should not get respect?

Favre deserves no respect, period.

chad had same situation, issue is too much expectation for ridgers. MORE should have been on favre. Your telling me in his reign, he never studied other offenses to get tips and figure out what works? most times he called his own plays. he couldnt have been that good without knowing how other systems work. every offensive coord stole plays from other systems just like dfenses do.

I wonder how much "conservative-ness" was going on from the bench with Rodger's play? Anyone think the bench was playing it safe at times, calling in plays that are safe and settling for 3 instead of letting Rodgers go big and taking chances?

no the packers sucked it up this year thats why they didnt let him do shit. Favre should get more respect for doing what he does at the age he is.

Maybe the Cowboys should try to acquire him...

86' MCSS - 13.35 @103
    87' MCLS - 14.55 @96
    02' Regal GS - Who cares

Quote Originally Posted by TraceDaddy View Post
    Again, you're comparing Rodgers in a proven system, that he's familiar with, and players he's familiar with, against Favre in a system that was greek, and apparently not much better even given time with it if you base Pennington's success with it.

Just a side question. Which of you have actually played sports at ANY level. I can not believe that if you have, that you would not understand how individuals interact in a team environment. I've been on teams (baseball in this case) where we've booted our best player because he was a nob and our chemistry changed. We did a complete 180 and couldn't have been happier, and better, without him. (I'm not suggesting Rodgers is a nob. He seems very nice.)

I've also played football with what we thought was an acceptable QB who went down and was replaced by, what we thought, was a less talented guy. That backup though knew how to get guys attention in the huddle. In "coach speak" you build your team up when they're down and you tear them down when they're up.

Maybe Rodgers gets that with time. Maybe not. You can't deny that his teammates loved him when he was here and they responded.
    i do'nt like bringing it up, but your question about who has actually PLAYED sports is very relevent. i played 4 sports in high school, one of them football, and i played baseball at the college level. still play in Land o Lakes and a few other leagues. i do see your point, but you can't judge a QB by ONE thing like wins or stats. its ALL of it. as for a new system, they changed the whole thing FOR favre. the offense was very un-complex, and the man knows football. as for overall performance, Rodgers outperformed Favre.
    "A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

^ maybe the Packers should ask him back,remember Packers 6-10 with the best QB in the league A-Rod,out performed should include wins it does on the show Pinks

Easy tiger, I was joking.

theavenger333, where did you go to High School and around what years? Just curious if I played against you (baseball), not that I would remember anyone in particular. Also what Land O Lakes team? A few guys I played with did Land O Lakes but I doubt they do anymore...I miss playing baseball more often, softball just isn't the same.
    86' MCSS - 13.35 @103
    87' MCLS - 14.55 @96
    02' Regal GS - Who cares

Quote Originally Posted by theavenger333 View Post
    i do'nt like bringing it up, but your question about who has actually PLAYED sports is very relevent. i played 4 sports in high school, one of them football, and i played baseball at the college level. still play in Land o Lakes and a few other leagues. i do see your point, but you can't judge a QB by ONE thing like wins or stats. its ALL of it. as for a new system, they changed the whole thing FOR favre. the offense was very un-complex, and the man knows football. as for overall performance, Rodgers outperformed Favre.
    I'm a 4 sport guy too. And no I did not grow up in Wind Lake. (Sorry PM86) I'm a military guy who happened to be lucky and live near SF when Joe Montana was the QB. He WAS my all-time favorite until I came home to WI and watched Brett. Joe is still the smoothest ever. He's the only non-Packer in my rec room. But even in the age he was and the team he was able to keep around him, he didn't have as many wins as Brett.

And Avenger, I'll agree you can't use wins as the sole measuring stick for a QB's greatness. (Trent Dilfer has as many rings.) A team around him is just as important. Let me ask you this. How many other Hall of Famers do you see, besides Reggie White, on the Packers since 1992? I won't ask how many receivers are worthy of the Packers Hall of Fame because even Billy Schroeder caught over 1000 yards from Brett.

As far as the system. Brett did much better early when they didn't expect him to know the system and "dummied" it down for him. Once he was expected to play within it, the wheels feel off. I'll agree that Brett is not a conventional QB. I won't agree that it's not a good thing.

Overall 2008 stats. No question. Rodgers wins. Let's say GB keeps Brett and Aaron goes to NY. What are his stats? Just guessing...

Quote Originally Posted by badass88gt View Post
    I wonder how much "conservative-ness" was going on from the bench with Rodger's play? Anyone think the bench was playing it safe at times, calling in plays that are safe and settling for 3 instead of letting Rodgers go big and taking chances?
    Good point. If the coaches aren't comfortable with him in that situation, what do you think his teammates are thinking?