Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    \/ What amazing looks like \/

new setup on my rem. 710

well i got a 75 dollar gift card for gander so i decided to hook my 30-06 rem 710 up with some scope covers and a new bipod. tomorrow the stock is coming off and getting dremmeled so the barrel free floats then im going to flat black the stock. as a base coat and camo it... if the camo doesnt turn out the way i want then im going to just go back over it.

sorry i cant find my nice camera... chitty cell phone pictures

Last edited by That_Guy; 12-28-2008 at 09:24 AM.

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by nramlow2006 View Post
    well i got a 75 dollar gift card for gander so i decided to hook my 30-06 rem 710 up with some scope covers and a new bipod. tomorrow the stock is coming off and getting dremmeled so the barrel the barrel free floats then im going to flat black the stock. as a base coat and camo it... if the camo doesnt turn out the way i want then im going to just go back over it.

sorry i cant find my nice camera... chitty cell phone pictures
    Looks sweet!

Breecher_7

major typo there lol..

Do yourself favor and stop working on that thing, it's like putting perfume on a pig. Speaking from experiance here BTW, not just out my ass.....for once.

Quote Originally Posted by STANMAN View Post
    Do yourself favor and stop working on that thing, it's like putting perfume on a pig. Speaking from experiance here BTW, not just out my ass.....for once.

i like the rifle its a nice shooting, pretty solid, i can tell the difference between this rifle and my 308 sps dm. .... all i planned on doing was painting the stock black and doing a little dremmeling...

Quote Originally Posted by nramlow2006 View Post
    i like the rifle its a nice shooting, pretty solid, i can tell the difference between this rifle and my 308 sps dm. .... all i planned on doing was painting the stock black and doing a little dremmeling...
    What is "nice shooting"???? I can't even begin to tell you the 1st hand horror stories I have had with the 710. Just my opinion, and your mileage may vary, but they make a better boat oar than a firearm in my experiance. Granted, I expect alot from my guns....like they go bang every time I pull the trigger and I can reasonably expect it to hit somewhere close to where I am aiming, but I am no gun snob that's for sure. Hell, I love Glocks for Christs sake!!! I almost did a small dance of joy when Big Green made them go away......until they just brought it back and called it some other name

And yeah, the difference between the 700 and 710 is a little more than that "10" lets on .308 FTW by the way, everything the 30.06 is, only in a short action. Gotta love it!!

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    bob not to steal a thread what is your thoughts on a 7mm and if you like them whos you favorite builder of said weapon?

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy MF'ng Johnson! View Post
    bob not to steal a thread what is your thoughts on a 7mm and if you like them whos you favorite builder of said weapon?
    Which 7mm? If you want to shoot the heavier stuff, go 7mm Rem Mag, but if you don't have to shoot the heavy stuff, go 7mm-08, again, short actions rule the accuracy world, for good reason!! I like the bolt guns for their accuracy, and if you are going to buy a factory weapon, get a heavy barreled Remington. If you don't mind having something built, buy a used Ruger (I love their actions, and their built in ring system) and send it to a good barrel maker (Shilen,Lilja) and have them barrel it with a heavy barrel. If you want an auto, go with the Browning BAR, nothing beats it for quality of build. Lil Ryan will kill me, but stay away from the Remington auto's, they are inferior in every category except price from the Browning.

And my overall thoughts on the 7mm? Inferior to the .30 as you can go down in weight on a .30 and do the same thing as a 7mm, but you can't go up in weight on the 7mm like you can with the .30. Optimum weight for the .30 is 160ish grains, optimum for the 7mm is 130ish. Just depends on what you want to do with it I guess.

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    i was looking at a 7mm rem. mag,but all this talk about crappy remingtons makes me nervouse,i have a .17hmr fully synthetic stock remington that is supposed to be the biggest piece of crap ever and its really a great gun,accurate smooth and doesnt jamb. so i dont know

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

And yeah, the difference between the 700 and 710 is a little more than that "10" lets on .308 FTW by the way, everything the 30.06 is, only in a short action. Gotta love it!!
    no doubt... i love my sps dm.. its a dam solid rifle.. i got the 710 as a gift from my grandpa.. so i figure i would just do a little to it. ive put about 100 rounds through it already in the last year. .. shoots just as good as the day i bought it so far no problems... but i found with all the things ive done to my .308 that it makes it more of a range rifle then a hunting rifle on the account i really dont want to drop it or reck it in any way. "love struck with it lol"

btw my grand pa has a 7mm rem mag b.a.r. and its a ******* loud ass rifle.. with the boss system on it
    Last edited by That_Guy; 12-28-2008 at 12:27 PM.

i was looking at a 7mm rem. mag,but all this talk about crappy remingtons makes me nervouse,i have a .17hmr fully synthetic stock remington that is supposed to be the biggest piece of crap ever and its really a great gun,accurate smooth and doesnt jamb. so i dont know
    look in to the sps series.. i have one and really like it alot

Breecher_7
    Remington makes great bolt action rifles, whoever is saying they dont is a moron. The US military has a contract with them for a reason. All sniper rifles in use by the US miltary right now (other then .50 cal) are built on a remington 700 action.

Coop I own a 7mm Rem Mag and 7mm Rem Ultra Mag, they are both hunting rifles, not heavy barrel tactical rifles. If you would like to shoot them, let me know.

Not sure what your lookin for though, if you want a nice tactical/sniper rifle from a very top notch builder, check these guys out. I purchased one of these a couple years ago. By far the most flawless piece ive ever purchased as a complete firearm.

http://texasbrigadearmory.com/custco...CTICAL%20RIFLE
    Last edited by Breecher_7; 12-28-2008 at 01:05 PM.

Breecher_7
    And thanks for saying this for me...
    Last edited by Breecher_7; 12-28-2008 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Breecher_7 View Post
    Remington makes great bolt action rifles, whoever is saying they dont is a moron. The US military has a contract with them for a reason. All sniper rifles in use by the US miltary right now (other then .50 cal) are built on a remington 700 action.

Coop I own a 7mm Rem Mag and 7mm Rem Ultra Mag, they are both hunting rifles, not heavy barrel tactical rifles. If you would like to shoot them, let me know.

Not sure what your lookin for though, if you want a nice tactical/sniper rifle from a very top notch builder, check these guys out. I purchased one of these a couple years ago. By far the most flawless piece ive ever purchased as a complete firearm.

http://texasbrigadearmory.com/custco...CTICAL%20RIFLE
    That would be me. And yeah, they make great bolt action rifles, that would be the Model 700. They also offer a very expensive line of boat oars, that would be the 710. Sorry OP, I know it was a gift from your grandfather (and how cool of a gift is a gun BTW?? I was given my GF's model 94 as a gift, probably the most meaningful gift I have ever recieved), but the 710 gave me gunsmithing nightmares. They really are a throw away gun, there's NOTHING you can do once they break, as the action and barrel are essentially one piece (they are actually a crush fit, and once the barrel is crushed into the reciever, that's it, there's no re-barreling, the reciever is a one time use thing, and don't get me started with the accuracy of this system). I mean if you want to keep it a long time because it's a keepsake, stop firing it, the ETA of them giving up the ghost was under 200 rounds on some guns. BTW-did you know the "average" hunter fires 10 rounds or under every year???? Big Green counted on that being the case with the 710 series, I mean at 10 rounds a year the 710 "could" last a very long time. Please don't take it as a bashing or me hating, I am just trying to educate.
    Last edited by STANMAN; 12-28-2008 at 01:38 PM.

Is that a real Harris Bipod BTW, or a copy. If it's a copy, how do you like it?? I have been tempted by the price of the knock offs, but I always buy the real thing at the end of the day. They are the best bipods out there, bar none.

not to steal a thread what is your thoughts on a 7mm
    Built by DPMS the R25 is available in 7mm-08, 243 or
    308 (243 is plenty for deer and shoots flatter than those
    7mm family or 308 ammo).
    http://www.remington.com/products/fi...Model_R-25.asp
    Under 9# it groups outstanding even with its heavy 4-5
    pound trigger (20 min trigger job will fix that).

The 6.5 Creedmore in a DPMS target would be my ultimate
    but heavier than the R25 Rem they build.
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

And yeah, the difference between the 700 and 710 is a little more than that "10" lets on.
    Actualy they are two totatly diffent bolts and triggers, I've
    done trigger jobs on both side bye side for same owner.
    The 710 has some crazy stuff going on in there for the
    lockup, claws grag the barrel goofy...hard to explain.

The 710 I reworked the trigger on came out at 2.5# and
    the owner says he is grouping 2" at 200yards but Its just
    his word I havent seen it in person(300 Win Mag).
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...