Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dnr can blow me

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Deer are probably scarce this year due to last year's excessively long hard winter (both in terms of temps and snowfall totals). The 500-600 or so wolves in wisconsin (and most of those concentrated either in the north, or slightly west central wisconsin) probably are NOT the reason hunt totals throughout the state are down this year.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

crazier things have happened besides a wolf attacking a human. lol
    Brandon
    2004.5 K2500hd LLY Dmax/Allison EC/SB - Minor Mod's
    2005 Trailblazer Lt 4x4 - Wife's - Stock
    PS3HANDLE:SilverStreak82

Good thing that south eastern WI got all the snow then huh?

Dusting off my knick knack... MurphysLaw88GT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taetsch Z-24 View Post
    And that makes it ok?

Some one has to Die for us to remember why we killed them all off 100 years ago?

Up in Hurley,we cleared a 40, next day we came back with smaller saws to clean up, there were 4 good sized doe's dead all around the 40, all with parts of there hing quarters chewed off...(not all)

at least the wolf's know where the good meet is, but that to me makes them look like a cat, kill to kill, not kill to eat.

Yes, this is a reason my .30 carbine is with me up north.
    They are killing and eating the deer just like you are. A wolf is designed to do this.
    The wolf chased it down and killed it, you shoot the deer and kill it. end result the same. The wolf and you do it to fill your bellies and as a good leisure activity. It is not like you not getting one will make you go hungry
    Last edited by MurphysLaw88GT; 12-03-2008 at 09:40 PM.

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    i saw a wolf bow hunting two weeks before gun season. dont forget about the bear at all either. ive heard they take up to 20% of fawns a year or more.

Senior Member..now yer posting! 73Dustr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brewcity_mach1 View Post
    i saw a wolf bow hunting two weeks before gun season. dont forget about the bear at all either. ive heard they take up to 20% of fawns a year or more.
    Don't forget that coyotes will go after fawns too.

I don't think it's the wolves that are the sole problem. Don't get me wrong, they do damage on local deer populations, but the entire state is down over 20%. Hell, I didn't see one deer and I hunted everyday of the season. I have never seen a season this bad. I think the harsh winter last year was part of the reason. I also think the DNR Is underestimating the deer population. With the liberal EAB and high numbers of anterless bonus tags, I think the deer population has been reduced more than what the DNR thinks, just like how they underestimated the black bear population.
    Last edited by 73Dustr; 12-03-2008 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MurphysLaw88GT View Post
    They are killing and eating the deer just like you are. A wolf is designed to do this.
    The wolf chased it down and killed it, you shoot the deer and kill it. end result the same. The wolf and you do it to fill your bellies and as a good leisure activity. It is not like you not getting one will make you go hungry
    Good thing we are higher on the food chain then?

\/ What amazing looks like \/
    Quote Originally Posted by 73Dustr View Post

I don't think it's the wolves that are the sole problem. Don't get me wrong, they do damage on local deer populations, but the entire state is down over 20%. Hell, I didn't see one deer and I hunted everyday of the season. I have never seen a season this bad. I think the harsh winter last year was part of the reason. I also think the DNR Is underestimating the deer population. With the liberal EAB and high numbers of anterless bonus tags, I think the deer population has been reduced more than what the DNR thinks, just like how they underestimated the black bear population.
    i believe that the mo behind that is to please insurance companies by decimating the whitetail population. wisconsins dnr is ran so poorly.. the only thing that they have managed to do in the last 30 years is bring back the wild turkey population thats about it.

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    Quote Originally Posted by 73Dustr View Post

true that