Thread: c5 clutch?

c5 clutch?

im looking to put a new clutch in the vette next spring. i was talking to larry at speed inc and we both came to the conclusion on putting a c6 zo6 clutch in my car. he said they have been proven to hold up to 650 ft/lbs of tq. just curious what everyone else is running for the amount of power they have. currently im at almost 400whp all motor and almost 500 with nitrous so i think this would be a good clutch to go with
    2008 Corvette Z06 (supercharged)
    2007 infinity G35x
    2006 honda cbr 1000rr
    2000 honda civic (daily driver)

Got Kicked OFF The Track A B4C Z's Avatar
    slow c5 has a spec stage 3 and the car gets driven no problems with it!

1998 Black on Black Regal
    2010 Black on Black Denali

Breecher_7
    Josh has/had a 3+ in his car. Lasted less then 2K miles. Had issues with clutch engagement though, make sure you get an adjustable master cyclinder. That clutch is way to big of a pain in the ass to get at.

I'm running a spec 3, stock master cylinder. Zero issues and I drive my car hard. Hard enough to blow up the 2 rubber driveshaft couplers...

Tony you know damn well Josh is not a very experienced driver, I watched him at the track slowly let the clutch out and burn that clutch and no tire spin...

I think we've had my torque tube out when the couplers went, in about 2 hours.

1999 C5 TT street car - 901/881 on pump gas, 10.82@137mph
    2013 Denali Duramax

Breecher_7
    Theres no arguing he is not a great driver, he will admit that. And as I said, were thinking most of the damage to the clutch was done by improper engagement/disengagement. We are installing a adjustable master when it goes back together. 2 hours is quick.... It took us about 4 hours to drop the rear cradle with the trans and tube. Then again, we didnt have a lift.

The lift's do add to the ease of working on the vehicles

2013 Denali Duramax

Danielle... times change. Poncho's Avatar
    on the GTO forums, the Z06 clutch is quite popular as a non-costly, and good upgrade. Consider a your different flywheel options, as the "stock" Z06 flywheel is a bit heavy.
    Well, at the very least, I have an interesting back story.

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    exedy dual dics in the car now is garbage after about 3 k mi i have a spec 3+ and new flywheel going in this spring

I would keep the heavier flywheel, The positive to having a heavier flywheel on a NA car is it will keep more rotational mass moving with letting the clutch out. As compared to a lighter flywheel, that will lose its rotational mass faster.

just my opinion

JEFF

2013 Denali Duramax

1/2 BCM POOL Tag Champs 97z2801ss's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SLOWC5 View Post
    I'm running a spec 3, stock master cylinder. Zero issues and I drive my car hard. Hard enough to blow up the 2 rubber driveshaft couplers...

Tony you know damn well Josh is not a very experienced driver, I watched him at the track slowly let the clutch out and burn that clutch and no tire spin...

I think we've had my torque tube out when the couplers went, in about 2 hours.

what else is in you guys storage/shop, looks like some cool stuff in the background....

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun,than with a kind word alone."-Al Capone

"Ever since we was kids,we always knew that people can be bought.It was only a question of who did the buyin' and for how much"-Charlie "Lucky" Luciano

thanks for the help guys
    2008 Corvette Z06 (supercharged)
    2007 infinity G35x
    2006 honda cbr 1000rr
    2000 honda civic (daily driver)