Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Riding when it is cold outside

A few minutes ago, I put about 2 miles on my bike. It was a bit cold outside, so I never left the underground parking at my place. One lap here is about the same as 1/16 mile. Doing ovals will leave you dizzy after some laps, but the way parking is here, I can do figure-8s.

So, what do you do during the winter to keep your bike from sitting too long between runs?
    When Injustice Becomes Law; Rebellion Becomes Duty

I rode mine, but I'm no sally.
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

There is salt on the roads, not gonna happen for me any more this year. Way too much bare aluminum on my bike to take he out on salty roads.

I don't get your question. Short of needing a battery charge and some Sta-Bil in the tank, mine will sit indefinitely. As should most.

In your face, Space Coyote.... Voodoo Chick's Avatar
    If I were into motorcycles, I would bring mine into my house and keep it in my living room all winter, lol......I wish I could do that with my cars.........

Quote Originally Posted by -stew- View Post
    Short of needing a battery charge and some Sta-Bil in the tank, mine will sit indefinitely. As should most.
    i used a battery tender, and i used a rear stand for it to get it upright with the rear off the ground, and a piece of wood under the front. Was told sitting on cold concrete for long periods can cause the tires to loose their shape/create a problem.

But it didn't run from Christmas until mid-late March...
    98 Ranger 4.0 5spd 4x4 Ext Cab
    02 TLR

Quote Originally Posted by RanJer View Post
    i used a battery tender, and i used a rear stand for it to get it upright with the rear off the ground, and a piece of wood under the front. Was told sitting on cold concrete for long periods can cause the tires to loose their shape/create a problem.

But it didn't run from Christmas until mid-late March...
    I'll just pull the battery and charge it if need be. I will be replacing the battery come spring if I can come up on a battery relocate kit. The kit allows for a smaller and three pound lighter battery to be moved. This opens up a lot more space in the already cavernous under seat storage area.

I don't have mine on the stands. May re-arrange the garage and put the bike on the rear stand behind the Mustang. I've never heard of tires sitting on concrete being bad for the tires.
    Last edited by -stew-; 11-30-2008 at 01:29 PM.

supposedly the moisture in the tires will be pulled out into the ground and cause the tires to dry rot/ flat spot... not sure if its true, i never leave mine on the ground buy some stands!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 00SoSlow View Post
    supposedly the moisture in the tires will be pulled out into the ground and cause the tires to dry rot/ flat spot... not sure if its true, i never leave mine on the ground buy some stands!!!

I have a pair of chrome T-Rex Racing stands, $120 to my door. I am very happy with them. Quality pieces for the money. They make chain maintenance and wheel cleaning/polishing a breeze.

SNATCH A KISS ORVICEVERSA Junky Giorgio's Avatar
    My gixxer is too much of a cream puff to even come out of the garage when its cold out with snow/salt on the ground. The chances of corrosion starting on a bike are pretty good and terrible once it would start.

Mine is up on a set of front and rear race stands with a ventilated bike cover on it. I also put some SeaFoam fuel stabilizer in it and have a battery tender on it.
    TRIUMPH DAYTONA 675 TRIPLE
    Quote Originally Posted by murdoc158 View Post
    Thanks to YellowWagon for the pics and JunkGSX for the ladies.
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamZ
    Junk maybe gone, but Tony is Junky Giorgio forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by domokun View Post
    junk, your junking my thread.

Wouldn't riding in winter be miserable because of the cold?? I know nothing about bikes/riding, but it seems like it would just be terribly cold and unpleasant......

Quote Originally Posted by 7398455 View Post
    Wouldn't riding in winter be miserable because of the cold?? I know nothing about bikes/riding, but it seems like it would just be terribly cold and unpleasant......
    If you're a Sally, yes.

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

What's a "Sally?" The bike pictured above......yours? Very, very cool. I love the paint job.

Used to be, sold it to a member on here.

A 'Sally' is a wuss.

I did have more then one bike, and I obviously wouldn't ride my nicer bikes once the salt hit the roads. I learned the hard way when I rode my TL to Chicago two winters ago, the aluminum on the bike never looked the same.

Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    If you're a Sally, yes.

Sure thing, Nancy.

Also: wat?

Notice the tank bag ;-) Main reason for the wrap was to keep my belongings dry before I got dropped off in Atlanta, where I rode from Atlanta to Daytona to Sarasota. I also had my backpack sitting on the seat and the tail section was completely full as well. The truck was completely full of the other guys gear that I went down with, only thing I had room for was myself and my helmet.

Notice the tank bag ;-) Main reason for the wrap was to keep my belongings dry before I got dropped off in Atlanta, where I rode from Atlanta to Daytona to Sarasota. I also had my backpack sitting on the seat and the tail section was completely full as well. The truck was completely full of the other guys gear that I went down with, only thing I had room for was myself and my helmet.
    Tank bag? I hardly noticed the bike with all the bubble wrap. They do that for ya over at the fed-ex store or you buy one a them rolling pin with saran-wrap things from the good folks over at u-haul?

Nice CB, by the way. I have a '82 K model and a '81 F model. I'm also getting a '70 CB350 soon.

Haha, I actually got the wrap from someone here on the forum. It helped a ton, we hit some freezing rain / sleet through Chicago and RAIN in Indiana.

I'm looking for a CB750, I would settle for another 550 too.

Haha, I actually got the wrap from someone here on the forum. It helped a ton, we hit some freezing rain / sleet through Chicago and RAIN in Indiana.

I'll sell if cheap if you wanna do a DOHC.

Give a guy 4 rolls of stretch wrap and he doesn't even remember who gave it to him!! Nice!!!

haha, it was late! I still have two rolls left, this stuff is handy as hell! Thanks again, it helped a ton. My shit would have been SOAKED by the time I hit the hotel in Daytona.