these^^^

My first full auto fire was with the above gun, was hooked
    on the concept but my 157# body couldnt handle the
    308 if full fire. I eventualy got an Eagle Arms AR and
    converted it to full auto (no provision for single, wife
    made me sell it) and had a blast here in WI chasing
    squirels and killing dead trees!
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Jerome View Post
    Your right shooting is more fun Eugen and Michael
    had a favorite gun:
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/950099994...th_LEUPOLD.htm
    Eugene did make money with Knight manufaturing, not
    sure if Michael got any dough but he did have a few of
    these^^^

My first full auto fire was with the above gun, was hooked
    on the concept but my 157# body couldnt handle the
    308 if full fire. I eventualy got an Eagle Arms AR and
    converted it to full auto (no provision for single, wife
    made me sell it) and had a blast here in WI chasing
    squirels and killing dead trees!

Cool pic of Mikail and Eugene!! And good ole Eagle Arms. I still have pre-ban lower of theirs It's odd that Eagle Arms back in the day was the major side, and Armalite was the smaller portion, and now they have completly changed roles. I wonder if Michael ever had to use one of his dads designs to help pursuade anyone to "do the right thing", lol.

Gotta give it to the AK for reliability. Just shot 2 different AR15's for the first time in the past few weeks. One with an EO tech sight and the other just irons. Love the no recoil and I thought my AK had no recoil, i was wrong. I also love the CETME I built. Surprisingly low recoil for a .308 . Haven't shot a FAL yet, that and the G3 system, were the guns I thought were the coolest when I was growing up.
    I guess it all depend on the use.
    No cleaning kit and getting dirty ...AK
    Lots of ammo and somewhat longer range/better accuracy.... AR.
    Need some punch in your Battlerifle.... G3/CETME
    Getting dirty and have buckshot... Saiga 12ga in reg. AK clothes
    Jamie

01 F150 Screw 5.4 4x4 99 VW Jetta 64 Olds Cutlass
    83 Cutlass Gbody Wagon 85 Suzuki GS700ES needs some new parts now

I've fired a FAL... pretty significant recoil compared to my other buddy's HK91. Basically parroting everything that's been said here. The direct gas impingement of the AR design gets it dirty really quick. But if you can keep it clean it's a great rifle. The AR (basically a knock off of the Sturmgewehr 44 (MP43/MP44) tolerates being abused much more readily than the AR. My main issue with the AK and G3/CETME/HK91 is their weight... they are damn heavy. Now for pulling one out and plinking every few weeks or so, that's not a big deal. But when you have to lug one around (along with all of your other equipment) for hours,days,weeks at a time... it gets old real fast.

Now, HK has recently come out with their iteration of the AR... called the HK416. It does away with the direct-gas system and replaces it with a proprietary short-stroke system that keeps the gun much cleaner (and therefore much more reliable). They've come out with a civilian version and if they find some way to get it here (or build some receivers here in the states) I plan to get one... immediately before B.O. can ban them.

As far as power... there's no doubt the 5.56 is nowhere close to the 7.62 in terms of stopping power. BUT... if you can use a converted upper that chambers say the 6.5 Grendel, or the 6.8 you can get pretty close to the 7.62's power. Of course then you lose ammo interoperability with other units. I think if it were me and I had a choice... I'd take a 6.5 or 6.8'ed AR into the field with me (and keep the standard 5.56 upper in my pack) or use an HK416. I suppose you could also use an AR upper that's chambered for 7.62. Just my thoughts.

Resident Hornet guru USMARINE1108's Avatar
    I like both for different reasons, but when it comes down to it, I'd have to go with the M14.

If that wasn't availabe, I'd have to go with the AR. It's hard to make a head shot at 300 yds with an AK. All "accuracy vs reliability" aside, I'm an AR guy.

Quote Originally Posted by ND4SPD View Post
    I've fired a FAL... pretty significant recoil compared to my other buddy's HK91. Basically parroting everything that's been said here. The direct gas impingement of the AR design gets it dirty really quick. But if you can keep it clean it's a great rifle. The AR (basically a knock off of the Sturmgewehr 44 (MP43/MP44) tolerates being abused much more readily than the AR. My main issue with the AK and G3/CETME/HK91 is their weight... they are damn heavy. Now for pulling one out and plinking every few weeks or so, that's not a big deal. But when you have to lug one around (along with all of your other equipment) for hours,days,weeks at a time... it gets old real fast.

Now, HK has recently come out with their iteration of the AR... called the HK416. It does away with the direct-gas system and replaces it with a proprietary short-stroke system that keeps the gun much cleaner (and therefore much more reliable). They've come out with a civilian version and if they find some way to get it here (or build some receivers here in the states) I plan to get one... immediately before B.O. can ban them.

As far as power... there's no doubt the 5.56 is nowhere close to the 7.62 in terms of stopping power. BUT... if you can use a converted upper that chambers say the 6.5 Grendel, or the 6.8 you can get pretty close to the 7.62's power. Of course then you lose ammo interoperability with other units. I think if it were me and I had a choice... I'd take a 6.5 or 6.8'ed AR into the field with me (and keep the standard 5.56 upper in my pack) or use an HK416. I suppose you could also use an AR upper that's chambered for 7.62. Just my thoughts.
    There are others making gas piston uppers, with out the HK wait and price
    Jamie

01 F150 Screw 5.4 4x4 99 VW Jetta 64 Olds Cutlass
    83 Cutlass Gbody Wagon 85 Suzuki GS700ES needs some new parts now

Yes, there are... but none will approach the level of quality of HKs.

Dusting off my knick knack... MurphysLaw88GT's Avatar
    I've fired a FAL... pretty significant recoil compared to my other buddy's HK91. Basically parroting everything that's been said here. The direct gas impingement of the AR design gets it dirty really quick. But if you can keep it clean it's a great rifle. The AK (basically a knock off of the Sturmgewehr 44 (MP43/MP44) tolerates being abused much more readily than the AR. My main issue with the AK and G3/CETME/HK91 is their weight... they are damn heavy. Now for pulling one out and plinking every few weeks or so, that's not a big deal. But when you have to lug one around (along with all of your other equipment) for hours,days,weeks at a time... it gets old real fast.

TOTALLY DIFFERENT OPERATING SYSTEM!!!

Ergonomically similar,both select fire firing intermediate cartridges. but totally different mechanically.

AK has rotating bolt,, MKB42H,MP43,MP44, STG44 Has Tipping (or tilting if you prefer) Bolt.
    Last edited by MurphysLaw88GT; 11-11-2008 at 04:13 PM.

You're right, the knock-off comment was an overstatement as I was primarily referring to the ergonomics. Mechanically the AK in it's early stages was influenced by the M1 Garand.

You're right, the knock-off comment was an overstatement as I was primarily referring to the ergonomics. Mechanically the AK in it's early stages was influenced by the M1 Garand.
    correct....although many dont like to hear it

Ill take the accuracy of a AR any day of the week over a AK's "thrown rock" 100 yard groups.

If i want rugged, and far reaching accuracy , I can always go in to the armory and grab a M1A/M14.

Chris

My Polish does not do MOA groupings...average 2.5-3in@100m (wolf fmj). But I would not feel comfortable with a competent operator behind the trigger shooting at me.