Exclamation Remington 597 .17 HMR Safety Recall

Remington has issued a recall for the 597's in .17 HMR. Not sure what happens but the notice says to stop using it immediately.

http://www.remington.com/safety/17_H...ce/default.asp

Second Amendment = Reset button for the Constitution.
    17 Yr. GM Master Technician, (Ret.)
    Type 01-Federal Firearms License Holder
    Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Contact me with your firearm needs
    '02 FLHTCUI- 95"- 106HP

\/ What amazing looks like \/
    glad i went with the savage.. i really was going to get the remington but i liked the trigger on the savage alot more.

i was told that .17hmr in a auto loader was a no dice also.. anybody know why?

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by That_Guy View Post
    glad i went with the savage..i liked the trigger on the savage alot more.
    x2

Quote Originally Posted by That_Guy View Post
    i was told that .17hmr in a auto loader was a no dice also.. anybody know why?
    I'm no firearms expert but if I had to guess I'd think it would have something to do with the .17 being a much longer casing than a .22 and the very low recoil generated isn't enough to open the mechanism enough to eject the shell. I could be way off but it sounds feasible...

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    I have one and its sad i have to send it back,it has worked flawless.I was told by remington today that the casing on the shell can spits and flash into the magazine causing those shells to ignite in the mag on the semi auto. This is a shame.

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Cooper View Post
    I have one and its sad i have to send it back,it has worked flawless.I was told by remington today that the casing on the shell can spits and flash into the magazine causing those shells to ignite in the mag on the semi auto. This is a shame.
    This is true, also according to Remington, the safety notice is for the ammunition, it involves ALL semi-auto loading rifle in .17 HMR.

According to Remington, the .17 HMR ammo is all made at the same place, they sell it off to Hornady, CCI, Remington, etc.

So, that said, I would check with any other manufacturer of a semi-auto .17 HMR rifle.

Remington will send you a $200 certificate towards the purchase of a new Remington, even though my brother spent over $350 when he bought it new..... sounds like the consumer is getting the short end of the stick.

Second Amendment = Reset button for the Constitution.
    17 Yr. GM Master Technician, (Ret.)
    Type 01-Federal Firearms License Holder
    Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Contact me with your firearm needs
    '02 FLHTCUI- 95"- 106HP

Its not an uncommon problem on both the 17HMR and the 17HM2 problem in semi-auto. When you convert a Ruger 10/22 to 17HM2 it sometimes takes a little tuning to get everything to feed right, we are using 22 internals to feed a higher power (but smaller) .17 .

The Remington issue has a little to do with poor magazine feed, that part should have been resolved I thought with the latest style magazine. The 597 is out of the box a great grouping gun, if yours works fine I would keep it.

I like the Savage, would love it if they offerd the Accutrigger in there semi-auto 17hm2 model.

Thomson R55 is still the semi-auto 17 to beat without spending stupid money like a Volquartzen or Anschutz (love mine!).
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    Im just concerned that it may blow up in my hands Russ or I would keep it.

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605