Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WTB: .22 Handgun

Looking for something to shoot up the neighbors dog JK, I want something I can fire off a few hundred rounds at the range and not cost a fortune buying ammo. Does anyone here have anything? Suggestions welcomed as well.
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

I don't fucking care
    At first I thought you were serious....A 22. is a fun gun to target practice with, LOUD but fun.
    Time is like a bullet form behind, It will catch up and kill you when you least expect it, so live for the moment....Covenant....

Quote Originally Posted by hotshift13 View Post
    At first I thought you were serious....A 22. is a fun gun to target practice with, LOUD but fun.
    A .22 is loud? WTF???

Dusting off my knick knack... MurphysLaw88GT's Avatar
    got a friend with a .22 SIG Mosquito for sale. like a mini SIG P226 kind of (ergonomically)

Are you set on a pistol? .22 rifles are much more accurate
    and when the bug bites you'll want to start hittin squirels.

If you want cheap and very accurate fun I'm putting this
    custom beaded, trigger jobbed 17HM2 on Gunbroker this
    week:
    http://hometown.aol.com/russjerome/i...natkiller1.jpg
    Buy the $300 scope and I'll throw in the gun for free.

Sitting at the local gun range guys will think your missing
    the target...just keeps going thru the same hole
    Im gonna dump some 22 rifles as well, buying another
    gun....expensive one
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

Ruger 10/22 stainless, under 300 rounds thru it:
    http://hometown.aol.com/russjerome/images/50mm10-22.jpg
    I'll post more with prices after checking market value.
    Remington Nylon 66, fastest cycling 22 ever made.

Senior Member..now yer posting! 73Dustr's Avatar
    Eric, if you're looking for a good 22 pistol, I would highly recommend the Browning Buckmark. They come in all sorts of variations. Go to Browning's site and check them out. I know Gander often has the Beretta Neos on special, but I think they are garbage. I have heard a lot of stories of cycling issues with those. I've had hundreds of rounds through my Buckmark without issue.

Buckmark, or if you want to grow with it (as in upgrade it as you become a better shooter), get a Ruger, the aftermarket supports the Ruger way more than the Browning.

Hands down, Walther P22... I'm planning on buying one myself. My brother has one and absolutely loves it. Shoots the Walther more than his HK USP .45. There are 2 interchangeable barrel lengths (I just want the shorter barrel myself). I think you can find them for $250 to $300. Maybe less if you look hard.

Locally I think Sportsmans Warehouse had the best price... though when I was looking for one earlier in the year they kept selling out.

Check out the gun show out in Waukesha, you could probably pick up a decent used one for $100 or less
    Kevin
    Daily Driver: 1999 Chevy Tahoe w/ Vortec 350
    Wifes DD: 2003 VW Passat Wagon w/ 1.8T, 5 speed auto
    Plow Truck: 99 Chevy K3500 Pickup w/ a Vortec 454
    Toy 1: 98 BMW R1100R
    87 Camaro Iroc Z28, SOLD, Gone But not Forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by PonyKiller87 View Post
    Check out the gun show out in Waukesha, you could probably pick up a decent used one for $100 or less
    When is this? Hopefully not on the weekend

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

I think it happens once or twice a month on the weekend, not sure when the next one is.
    Kevin
    Daily Driver: 1999 Chevy Tahoe w/ Vortec 350
    Wifes DD: 2003 VW Passat Wagon w/ 1.8T, 5 speed auto
    Plow Truck: 99 Chevy K3500 Pickup w/ a Vortec 454
    Toy 1: 98 BMW R1100R
    87 Camaro Iroc Z28, SOLD, Gone But not Forgotten

The Walther is a nice piece for what it is, just a plinker. Lots of neat do dads you can buy for it to

FWIW-don't even bother going to the Waukesha or State Fair gun shows, the dealers are on crack. Best bet it to buy something from someone walking around with something for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by STANMAN View Post
    The Walther is a nice piece for what it is, just a plinker. Lots of neat do dads you can buy for it to

FWIW-don't even bother going to the Waukesha or State Fair gun shows, the dealers are on crack. Best bet it to buy something from someone walking around with something for sale!

Boy that's for sure. I don't know how they manage to sell anything with the prices they are asking for their stuff.

I just sold one of these on BCM last year, but a 12" bullbarrel:
    http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Ca...y/exemplar.jpg

The exempler is the most acurate 22 pistol out of the box period, used
    ones in rough shape sell cheap but are just as acurate with old barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by PonyKiller87 View Post
    I don't think you are going to find any decent pistol at a gun show for under $100. Those gun shows in Waukesha aren't too bad if you are looking for specific parts or accessories, but they usually price their firearms pretty high for what they are. If buying a new one, I think Sportsman's will probably be your best bet. I'd stay away from Gander because their prices are usually high compared to other places. I do know Cabela's has a special firearm sale this weekend. I do remember seeing some 22 pistols in the flyer.

Quote Originally Posted by 73Dustr View Post
    I don't think you are going to find any decent pistol at a gun show for under $100. Those gun shows in Waukesha aren't too bad if you are looking for specific parts or accessories, but they usually price their firearms pretty high for what they are. If buying a new one, I think Sportsman's will probably be your best bet. I'd stay away from Gander because their prices are usually high compared to other places. I do know Cabela's has a special firearm sale this weekend. I do remember seeing some 22 pistols in the flyer.
    Yeah, they had a few Rugers on sale. Sale meaning the $450ish price range

Look in the used section at Gander or Cabela's, the only thing to really look for on any used rimfire is the mouth of the chamber where the rim would be resting. If you dry fire a rimfire it will eventually peen, which makes the gun practically useless unless you re-barrel it.

If you're just looking to go plinking at a range or at a buddy's farm, you may want to check out the hi-point pistols. They don't have a .22 but they do have a 9mm for $155 and ammo isn't all that much really.

Check them out if you want, just a suggestion.
    http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/hand...point_9mm.html

Quote Originally Posted by moels View Post
    If you're just looking to go plinking at a range or at a buddy's farm, you may want to check out the hi-point pistols. They don't have a .22 but they do have a 9mm for $155 and ammo isn't all that much really.

Check them out if you want, just a suggestion.
    http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/hand...point_9mm.html
    How does this compare to another that costs 3 times as much? I want to get to the range 3-4 times a month and would like something I can run ammo through and have some sort of accuracy. This pistol is priced right, but does it make a decent beginner pistol to get a feel for it at the range?

Just like cars, you get what you pay for. Hi-points tend to be a little heavier compared to similar styled firearms. I have heard of jamming problems when using certain hollow point rounds. FMJ rounds tend to feed without any problems.

If you are just getting into shooting, I would suggest sticking with a .22. First, ammo is dirt cheap. You can buy 500 rds for $10 or so. Plus, it's good to get your form down and to get used to shooting a handgun in general. Shooting handguns is a lot different than shooting rifles. A 22 will allow you to get used to this much easier because the recoil is minimal. I think your accuracy would also be better with a Buckmark (compared to a hi point) because almost all of them have heavier bull barrels and an adjustable rear sight. (Then again we are comparing a 22 to a 9mm).