Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Yeah i dont follow much else so this is the first time ive seen it, shows how much i know... thought you still had that red firebird yet.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

Nice!

So thats an S480--80mm? Thats a big turbo for a stock shortblock!
    You didn't get that turbo locally did you....hmmmmm.

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    no, that's just a s475, still the same ole t6 flange/ 1.32ar that those $500 turbos come with
    Last edited by Crawlin; 02-19-2009 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawlin View Post
    no, that's just a s475, still the same ole t6 flange/ 1.32ar that those $500 turbos come with
    Ah, on turbomustangs it says s480.
    Are you still running the stock 36xCI? A 1.32 A/R exhaust housing is kinda large for that size motor.

yeah, that's what i WANT to use. I'm assuming it's the same overall external dimensions. This one was just given to me for "mock up" purposes. It's not mine. That's why it's looking used haha

It's still the stock 4" bore, so yeah, it'll be I think 364-366ish cid. I know it's gonna be a bit big, but it seems to still have worked fine on a couple people's vehicles. I am not a turbo guy at all. So I'm still trying to research on that site and learn. There has been a couple of S480's put on a stock long block 6.0 that have gone some pretty decent e.t.'s. There was that one fairlane that they put a 5.3L stock longblock in with some valvesprings and the same cam. Put an MP70 on it and it went mid-high 9's. That was pretty impressive, but those guys know alot more about what's going on then I do, so it's a learning curve.

I'd like to pick up the s480 w/ the 1.32 and the race cover just to "buy it once" for when I would actually build the 408 and put that on it and put it in a fox body.

I am definitely all open ears if you got recommendations though.
    Last edited by Crawlin; 02-19-2009 at 06:13 PM.

yeah, that's what i WANT to use. I'm assuming it's the same overall external dimensions. This one was just given to me for "mock up" purposes. It's not mine. That's why it's looking used haha

It's still the stock 4" bore, so yeah, it'll be I think 364-366ish cid. I know it's gonna be a bit big, but it seems to still have worked fine on a couple people's vehicles. I am not a turbo guy at all. So I'm still trying to research on that site and learn. There has been a couple of S480's put on a stock long block 6.0 that have gone some pretty decent e.t.'s. There was that one fairlane that they put a 5.3L stock longblock in with some valvesprings and the same cam. Put an MP70 on it and it went mid-high 9's. That was pretty impressive, but those guys know alot more about what's going on then I do, so it's a learning curve.

I'd like to pick up the s480 w/ the 1.32 and the race cover just to "buy it once" for when I would actually build the 408 and put that on it and put it in a fox body.

I am definitely all open ears if you got recommendations though.
    It will definately work, but it would work better for right now if you had something smaller. (Not sure on Borg Warner sizes, it might be a 1.10) It will spool quicker with the 1.10, which will help it front half the track easier, and still not be a restriction in the least for that size motor/power combination up top. If you plan to grow into a 400ci+ build then keeping that 1.32 around will be useful. As long as the housing is designed for the same type of turbo and trim exhaust turbine, they should be easily interchangeable, unless BWs are not like other brands for some odd reason.
    Last edited by FourEyedFord; 02-19-2009 at 09:01 PM.

Thanks Bobby. I kinda was looking for a lazy front half for the radials sake, but again, I'm sure that can be worked on suspension wise instead of a bandaid fix of some sorts. I did see a couple of the 87mm wheels w/ the 1.10ar housing listed in the for sale section over on turbomustang.com. Just was thinking that maybe that was going too big for such a stock setup at this point.

The second reason was just honestly budget. It seemed to be a big jump to get that size ar housing compared to just the base units being the 1.32. I know everyone's different, just seemed to had worked pretty well in that 4dr black primer '67 Chevelle.

I'll definitely be looking into it. Thanks!

Thanks Bobby. I kinda was looking for a lazy front half for the radials sake, but again, I'm sure that can be worked on suspension wise instead of a bandaid fix of some sorts. I did see a couple of the 87mm wheels w/ the 1.10ar housing listed in the for sale section over on turbomustang.com. Just was thinking that maybe that was going too big for such a stock setup at this point.

The second reason was just honestly budget. It seemed to be a big jump to get that size ar housing compared to just the base units being the 1.32. I know everyone's different, just seemed to had worked pretty well in that 4dr black primer '67 Chevelle.

I'll definitely be looking into it. Thanks!
    I wouldn't worry about boost coming on too hard with that A/R, the cam and torque converter play a huge roll in how that works too.

There really is no such thing as too big of a turbo, that only holds true if you have too small of a wastegate. I can run as low as 7-8psi with one 60mm gate on my car. I would look for what you think you are going to grow into.

When you decide finally on the size of the turbo and all you can find for a decent price has the 1.32 on it, then I wouldn't loose sleep over it. It will work, the 1.10 just may work better for you at this point. I am going to get a 1.32 housing and test my 1.0 against it this year. That may be an idea for you if you can find a 1.10 to swap on for some testing or vice versa.
    Last edited by FourEyedFord; 02-20-2009 at 01:37 AM.

K, cool. That's some good info on the wastegate. Just was looking at picking up a Tial 50mm since I don't plan on this thing ever being able to go REALLY fast(170mph in this wagon would scare me, hahah, cage or 25.5)

I'll be interested to see how yours does in that testing.

im betting chris changes his mind 2 or 3 more times on what to build before racing season starts
    Check out our NEW online store!
    http://store.clocksoffracing.com/

Another reason pics weren't posted, LMAO

I'll touch your apex PureSound15's Avatar
    I want to see you finish building it - run it a few times and then swap motors with me and sell the car.

Fine - twist my arm and I'll take that deal.

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    he'll be running a 58 Ford truck by race day!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

That would be funny. 'Cept I don't know anyone that knows anything about Fords.... oh wait... hahaha. Yes we do.

Quote Originally Posted by juicedimpss View Post
    im betting chris changes his mind 2 or 3 more times on what to build before racing season starts

I'll bet he changes cars 2 or 3 more times before April...................
    Keith & Amanda
    2001 Formula Firehawk
    87 GN Only fast on the Souf Side
    70 GS 455 Stock Appearing

Make fun all you want, atleast this one WAS being worked on for a bit.... hahaha

Chris I have a silver 50mm Tial BOV. for sale

1999 C5 TT street car - 901/881 on pump gas, 10.82@137mph
    2013 Denali Duramax