Thread: Which Stall?

Which Stall?

I need to pick a stall for a TH350 I'm going to have built. For the time being, it will be going behind a stock Olds 350. When I have the new motor built, I don't see exceeding 300HP since it's just a cruiser. It likely won't see track time since the clocks don't run that long.. .

Any thoughts/recommendations for a stall that would be suitable for either application? The person who is going to build the trans is thinking 2500. I trust him but I also want to hear what some others have to say...

Thanks!

Keep in mind the stall of any converter has EVERYTHING to do with the torque put out by the engine! So a "2500 stall" in one engine may be a totally different speed in another engine. Something to keep in mind since you said you were gonna put it behind a weak engine first and then a new motor later.
    Josh
    91 GMC Syclone, full street trim, full accessories, stock bottom end.
    11.45 @ 117.7 57mm PT51 turbo at 20 PSI, 93 octane street tune w/alcohol injection. D.I.Y. Budget build, <$4500 under the hood complete.

Thanks!

The two I am looking at are 1800-2200 and a 2300-2500.

I don't know how long it will be until I build the new motor and I really don't want to buy a converter twice.

Since both should be adequate for the hp/tq of now and later, I think I might go with the 1800-2200 to keep the trans temps cooler while cruising since with the power levels I will be at and/or aiming for, that might be the only difference I really notice anyways, right?

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not just the torque of the engine, but the gears you run can effect the stall rpm that you see driving on the street too...tall gears can make a converter seem looser and short gears make it seem tighter...so two different T/C can actually act very similar in cars geared differently (but similar weight), or the same T/C can act very differently in cars geared differently, or with different weight.

I'd be inclined to buy the converter from whichever source you are going with and giving them the specs of the future engine/gears/chassis...then just accepting whatever that nets you behind the stock olds.

With mild gears and a moderate 300hp engine, I wouldn't think you'd need much more than 2200 rpm stall t/c torque converter. If you had 3.42 gears or higher, then the higher stall T/C would be fine too, and still more than acceptable on the street without running trans temps too high at all.
    Last edited by Prince Valiant; 10-06-2008 at 11:52 PM.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

It's got a total freeway rear end in it.

i've gat a 2500 stall and a 2800 stall i will take 75 for either one.

Highway gears you will want a higher stall, you also need to consider what tire size you will be running as well as what the actual tq output will be of the motor... I sent you a PM that i hope helps ya!
    70 cutlass 442- dads car
    95 stang- Stock long block 195,XXX miles
    03 XC600 - bone stock (still faster then smokin ram)
    03 Polaris predator- 4.250 bore (assembly required)
    84- 4 eyed